X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" Compound sliding miter saw

I'm looking for reviews of the 12" sliding saw by Ridgid. I am looking at buying a 12" sliding saw but can't find user reviews of this saw.

Thanks!

Ron
    I am also looking to buy a 12Inch compound sliding miter saw from HD They want $597.00 for it. They also have a dewalt 12 inch for $599.00 it comes with a free 18 Gage nailer made by dewalt. I am not sure which one I want or even like they both look awsome and they both seem to be made pretty decent.
    Thanks
    GB Enterprises
    Doing it right the first time!!

Comment

Ron

I have had 3 Dewalt slide saw's and I have to tellyou they are sweet. The only drawback for me in them is the Incremental degrees for the bevel cut is parallel with the ground and faces up to the sky. I'm only 5'6" tall so I have to stand on my toes to really see it to set my bevel cut.

I am buying a ridgid Slide saw next week. I have tried it and the problem i have with Dewalt is gone with the ridgid. The degrees for the bevel cut face the operator not the sky. Another PLUS is that the bevel cuts have the same number of POSITIVE STOPS that the miter table has. Crown stops, 22.5 degr., 45 degr.

And then there is the laser. I will probably remove it when i get it, because if I get used to it it will diminish my skills when using a non laser saw.

And the Dewalt finish nailer is great i have 2. but That lifetime warranty on Ridgids saw will save me a lot more than the cost of a nailer down the road.

Make your own decvision, but for me the next one is Ridgid.

by the way, one of my slide saws motor burned up, after 13 months, and a $250.00 tag to replace it.
      Out of warranty I believe Dewalt told me.

Happy woodworking guys

Comment

Hey guys, just bought the ms12900 the "old" model slider from my local HD the other week. So far I've cut some crown and base as well as pt decking. I totally love the saw cuts everything like a hot knife thru butter. I had been looking at it for a while and finally pulled the trigger, so far couldn't be happier.

Comment

I am also looking to buy the ms1290lz this weekend. I am in the Houston area and decide to call the ridgid support center to get the nearest service center in the Houston area just in case. The lady at Ridgid told me there wasn't one in the Houston. That surprised me so I asked her if I could take any tool purchase to Home Depot and have them send it to a service center because the guy at HD said I could. She said a big No to that. She said they were on a point of purchase and I would have to bear the cost of shipping and insuring my purchase to the nearset service. That is a way's away.
          I still think I will get the Ridgid saw because I like it but there is so much confusion between HD and Ridgid. Her tone of voice really changed when I mentioned taking my equipment to HD. (not to the good either) This is my first post and I am not knocking anyone or anything. I hope this will be useful to someone.

Comment

Additionally, I seem to remember HD's were offering the free mitersaw stand which I've heard nothing but good things about, for free wiht the purchase of the saw. Maybe X-Mas will be good to you this year and they'll bring it back ($200 value).
            Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

ron46
              I purchased the DeWalt 12" slider about 5 or 6 weeks ago. In my opinion it is sweeeeeet!!!
              I have done a pt deck, a porch ,with all the railings trim etc. a bookcase and a few smaller thingys for the shop. Not one single problem throughout!! As far as I am concerned, that laser is a useless toy, not really practical. with a slider you can bring the blade out and down right on your line. It's as accurate as can be. Not tryin to discourage you from the Ridgid, if thats your preference, i own several Ridgid tools. So far no problems.
              <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

Buy Dewalt. as a professionial Trim Contractor I use mine every day for 10-12 hours a day and have not had a complaint, but have talked to other trim contractors who have had nothing nice to say after buying the rigid, from the lasers not working properly, harder to adjust, made in china, and having problems with keeping a true cut. Tools of the Trade Magazine also said the bearings are not as good as Dewalt.
                Phillip Allen
                Orlando, FL.

Comment

Tools of the Trade picks the Makita ls1013 and the DeWalt a close second. The Ridgid has a lot of side to side play at the blade like the Bosch 12" slider I looked at. I have a DeWalt 12" dualbevel CMS and the Makita. I think the Makita is a more accurate slider than the DeWalt slider on the compound bevel cuts. I like the DeWalt as a fixed miter saw on crown and tall base.

[ 11-24-2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

I had the ridged slider, returned it for the dewalt slider after almost 90 days use. I could not make it run straight accross horizontaly, it tilted downward more than 1/8 inch as you pull it back. Luckelly I called ridged costomer service and they told me to bring it back to HD without box, dust cover and clamp. They claim most people do not check the saw, so it goes un noticed. That same day I checked the ridged floor model at HD, it did the same thing along with two others since. I did however keep the MSUV and also got the nailer from dewalt. BTW Costco sells the dewalt slider for around 540. get the print out bring it to HD and get price protection plus an additional 10% off. I ended up paying around $500. before tax for mine.
                    Steve

Comment

I had the ridged slider, returned it for the dewalt slider after almost 90 days use. I could not make it run straight accross horizontaly, it tilted downward more than 1/8 inch as you pull it back. Luckelly I called ridged costomer service and they told me to bring it back to HD without box, dust cover and clamp. They claim most people do not check the saw, so it goes un noticed. That same day I checked the ridged floor model at HD, it did the same thing along with two others since. I did however keep the MSUV and also got the nailer from dewalt. BTW Costco sells the dewalt slider for around 540. get the print out bring it to HD and get price protection plus an additional 10% off. I ended up paying around $500. before tax for mine.
                      Steve

Comment

I nooticed the side to side play on the floor demo as well; about 2 to 3X more play than the Makita LS1013. The only things I dont care for on the Makita are the vertical handle format and the side mounted scale (rather have it up front). Ill check out the variation in depth over the slider range. I only wish that Ridgid would have utilized an adjustable laser beam like the PC saws have. So Im still fence-sitting on what Ill buy.
                        Chris Berg

Comment

Hey, JJC. Did the HD in Houston cut you a deal on the MS1290? I'm interested in one of the new ones with the laser, but if I can get a deal on the old model, I would be very tempted. Has anyone else seen the old models on close out and if so, how much.
                          Also, I'm starting to rethink going Ridgid, lock-stock-and barrel. So far the guys here in Fort Worth don't act like they will deal anything on price if buying 3 to 4 different machines at the same time (the wife didn't say, NO!, when I mentioned it this morning!!) Anyone have any ideas on getting a decent discount? I've got alternatives to several items using PorterCable and Delta. On the MS it would be a 10" slider instead of a 12" one, but the same amp motor. Could use the $$s saved to go ahead and get the Delta 17-965 drill press with the extra power and quill travel.
                          THANKS!! Jim.
                          At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Me again. Visited 2 HD's after my last post. No MS1290 in our area. They said that they couldn't do a blanket search of Dallas or Denton. I might get my Dad to look up in the Sherman area. One person did say they closed them out at 499.00. Does that jive with prices anyone else has seen? Thanks for all the help. Jim.
                            At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Hi Ron, well I did it. Bought the new ridgid slider, and used it for the first time this week. I had built a 35' lighthouse on an addition to a "cottage?" in Marblehead, Ohio. It was 600 sq ft now 2800 sq. ft. Because of the angle of the light house it needed compound miters for the baseboard, and I have to tell you they came out perfect. absolutely perfect. I called customer service at ridgid and told them what a great product they put out. I don't know why other folks are having problems with straight cuts but that laser made it much easier to cut perfect compound miters

Any way that's my humble opinion

Happy woodworking guys

Comment

Working...
                              X