No announcement yet.

bed side rail tenons

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bed side rail tenons

anybody have any suggestions on the easiest way to build tenons on a 81" long 6" wide 1.25" thick bed side rails? thanks.

Sure, I use my drill. That is, I use Beadlock loose tenons. They are a snap for such operations. In fact, I found out about the Beadlock system when I had the same problem as you have. After using the system for a while, I do 85% of my mortise and tenon joinery using loose tenons.

Click here for a Worshop Demo of the Beadlock loose tenon sytem. You should find a link there that will take you to the Beadlock site for more info. BTW, total cost for the system is about $47 which includes 3/8" & 1/2" maple tenon stock.

Give it a peek. It's simple, as strong or stronger than regular mortise and tenons and it's relatively inexpensive.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the tip. i will take a look at that jig for my other projects. i just purchased a ridgid bandsaw last week and promptly put it to use to build the tenons on the bed headboard, footboard and side rails. i am building through tenons for an arts and crafts style bed so i dont think i could have use that method on this project.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: nelson ]

Hi Nelson

You're right of course, didn't realize you were making through tenons.

From what you said, it appears the band saw is the way to go. I've done it on a router table as well but prefer the band saw. Less sanding to get the tenon just right.

Best of luck.