Dust Collection Poll - for Woodworkers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection Poll - for Woodworkers

What is your primary method of dust control in your shop?
    Cyclone Dust Collector
    Single Stage Dust Collector
    Vacuum Cleaner (connected to tool)
    Vacuum Cleaner (used after the fact to clean up)
    Broom and Dust Pan

Do you have a centralized dust collection system that uses ducting to connect your dust collector to your tools?
    Yes
    No

If you have a centralized dust collection system with ducting, what type of ducting and fittings (elbows, Y's, etc.) do you use?
    metal
    plastic
    combination of metal and plastic

Re: Dust Collection Poll - for Woodworkers

Question #1 - At any given time, my primary dust collection could be any of the options you listed except the Cyclone Dust Collector. Depending on the particular tool I'm using, I use all the other methods.

Question #2 - Some of my tools are connected to a collection system and some aren't. Some are connected to shop vacs and my planer empties into a trash can.

Question #3 - Plastic
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Shop vac with the wife holding the hose

Comment

1. A central single-stage dust collector is in the future shop plans, with sheetmetal ducting. A cyclone would be nice, but at this point I can't justify the extra cost. My choice for the single-stage will be a PennState Canister unit @ about 1250 cfm.

2. For the moment, as in the past, it's a 12-gallon Ridgid Shop vac with a fine-dust filter (not sure if that is a HEPA, but it's Ridgid's best filter). That is hooked up to each machine as I am operating it.

3. Shop vac works okay, but not enough to keep all the sawdust off the bench or the floor. I use an attachment to clean up immediately afterwards.

4. Rarely do I use a broom, preferring the vac's wand and floor attachment. I do use a handbrush, working in conjuction with the vac hose and sometimes a compressor blowgun to clean up the equipment and bench top.

CWS

Comment

Oneida dust deputy and Shop Vac hooked to tool. Also Jet Air Filtration System.

Comment

#1. central system, mostly from Rockler. Guess you could call it a 2 stage since I have the trash can separator before the dust collector.

#2. I have ducting, though it's not yet completed. Only my miter saw has a permanent connection; everything else has a dust port. I have an expandable Dust Right hose and handle (Rockler) so I can hook it up to whatever tool I'm using (table saw, router table, spindle sander, etc.) My shop is only 12 x 20 so not big enough to have everything permanently installed.

#3. Plastic sewer pipe.

Simple, basic stuff but it makes a huge difference in enjoying the shop. Plus the remote for the dust collector is cool
            Attached Files

Comment

I use a Penn State canister unit,1250CFM, connected mostly with that clear 4" hose. I use a trash can separator and have a Y on the incoming line to it, so that one line of the Y goes to my miter saw, and the other line is used to move between the TS, planer, and jointer.

Have an older Craftsman 20 gal. shop vac w/hepa filter for clean up, as well as a push broom for getting stuff out the garage door.

No overhead ducting or anything, but it works well for me and the DC system is located in the other garage bay behind my machinery line up so the ducting on the floor is not in the path of foot traffic.

Comment

I use a single stage dust collector (which I am not in love with), but I also use at the same time an large air filtration unit that I made, which actually works very well, so the two working together have pretty good dust control in my modest 350 sq foot workshop.
                Free woodworking plans

Comment

I have a Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector hooked to a shop built Thein Cyclone http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm and then run to my machines with 4" sewer and drain PVC and blast gates at each machine. I also ran my 4" duct work through the back wall of my shop and the DC unit exhaust straight onto the ground. This gives me a much quieter shop with the DC unit outside, more air flow with the unrestricted exhaust port and the Thein unit collects 99% of the chips and sawdust.

Comment

I too have the HF 2hp Single Stage DC hooked to a trash can separator. I am in the process of rearranging my shop and running the PVC lines to all the tools for dust control. I also built a monster of a downdraft/outfeed/work table that will clean the air using high end furnace filters.

Comment

What is your primary method of dust control in your shop?
                      (check as many as apply)
                      [ ] Cyclone Dust Collector
                      [X] Single Stage Dust Collector (added separator to convert to two stage)
                      [ ] Vacuum Cleaner (connected to tool)
                      [X] Vacuum Cleaner (used after the fact for clean up)
                      [X] Broom and Dust Pan

Do you have a centralized dust collection system that uses
                      ducting to connect your dust collector to your tools?
                      [X] Yes
                      [ ] No

If you have a centralized dust collection system with ducting,
                      what type of ducting and fittings (elbows, Y's, etc.) do you use?
                      [ ] metal
                      [X] flexible hose (only to make final connection to individual machines)
                      [X] plastic
                      [ ] combination of metal and plastic

All stationary machines are connected to system. This includes TS, both BS, SCMS, Planer, Jointer, RAS, and Disc/Belt Sander. Lathe and DP have ports nearby that can be used to setup dust collection on an as needed basis.
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

HF dust collector with Thien trashcan. 4" plastic S&D ducting to all stationary tools.

RIDGID shopvac for router, sanders.

JDS750 Air filter.

Overhead air hose with blow gun to blow missed chips onto the floor.

Broom to sweep these up.

I have a clean(ish) shop. I wouldn't make semiconductors in there, but it is so much cleaner than before I got the air filter.

Comment

Nice posts and pics, makes me a little jealous of some nice shops out there. My primary means is a 12 Gal Ridgid shop vac with some accessory modifications as well as a horse hair bench brush and dust pan that was handed down from my Grandfathers cabinet making workshop. (circa 1947 or so) It is a favorite and quite a conversation piece.

Comment

Have any of you guys found that you lack a little cfm with only having the 4" pvc piping as opposed to a 6" main line? As I set mine up, this has been a big decision for me.

My other concern is that with the cyclone separator, I can only find 4" ports on them and not 6". So it seems the 6" main would be a waste in the end.

Comment

Without having any instrumentation to measure CFM in my setup its difficult to say how efficient my system is.

I do find that depending on the tool I am using that sometimes I am better off leaving another tool port open or partly open to keep the air flow up. I see this mainly when using the router as the port of the fence is 2.5" so I leave one of the other gates downstream of that partly open. This keeps the flow UP in that branch of the main. If I were to open a gate elsewhere then flow would be divided between branches and hinder extraction of chips.

For those that don't have one, a simple home-brew manometer would be easy to make and measure pressures.

Here's the first link I came to doing a search for those that are interested.
                              http://www.creative-science.org.uk/air.html

and how they work:
                              http://www.sensorsmag.com/sensors/pr...er-basics-1073

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8oZucZiv4
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM.
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X