X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2424 vs 3612

After reading the gushing posts re: 3612, I'm trying to figure out the REAL difference between it and the 2424. I have the 2424 & have moved the rails to the right to get: ta-da -- 36"R/12L". Fence works fine; would not prefer a Biesy over it, as it locks down BOTH ends. Now if offered a Incra...
    Zero clrnc insert is good, as the 3/16" thick flange requires more machining than, say 1/4", and the 3612 phenolic(?) insert is more substantial than my shopmade tempered hardboard. 1/2" flange would be nice at seemingly no additional cost to mfgr. Haven't seen the trunnion adjusters, but understand that they are easier to work with -- a real plus.
    Seems like the 3612 is an incremental improvement over the already great 2424.

What I'd like to see is built-in gauges (indexable) for the blade height and an ACCURATE bevel gauge. Move the motor inboard (or the cabinet out) to improve dust collection. Seems to me that these improvements could be made at nominal increases in production costs.

Just a couple of ripples on the pond to see what it does to the boat.

Rotsa ruck & bee safe.

Rodney J in TX

I've also done some comparisons, and decided I'd like to buy the TS3612 because of the new fence deisign and adjustment features.

But the TS2424 has one advantage -- you are able to actually buy it! So far, after three trips to Home Depot, the people in the store can't seem to locate a 3612 for me to purchase!

[ 08-20-2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Matthew Schenker ]

Comment

Woodbutcher---for blade height and bevel--get yourself a little gadget called "Gauge-It", which does both. Don't think you'll find even the best table saw has an accurate way measuring height and bevel---direct measurement is always best.

While there is no question Rigid has been improving their fences, the Biesemeyer is a fantastic alternative. Easy to align (only needs checking every year or two) and consistantly reliable.

Now, like so many other frustrated ww'ers, I've yet to see the 3612 fully assembled, so I don't know how good the new fence is, but everybody is raving about it, who has used it. Indeed, I'd give the highest marks to Rigid/Emerson in that they have listened to our needs and are constantly improving this saw's design---one that's been around for many years.

As to HD and Rigid's factory reps---they are missing the boat. Old retail axiom---"if you don't have it, you can't sell it." With both companies, I'm sure some bean-counter has decided they can get by with less---less knowledgable employees or fewer---sounds like they're reached the point of "diminished return."
      Dave

Comment

I've been using a Craftsman RAS for my home improvement projects for about 40 years, and just recently decided to cash in husband points (earned through diligent weekend work in completing a bathroom remodel) on a TS. I'd looked at Jet, Grizzly and General as well as the 2424, and had decided on the 2424. But a 3612 showed up on my HD rack last Friday, and I assembled it over the weekend. So my background is limited to having fondled the 2424 several times and about four cuts so far with the 3612. What is different with the 3612 fence is that the part that slides on the guide is a bit beefier and wider, the micro-adjust works a bit better, and the guide itself is beefier. In actual use, I would think there would be little difference with the 2424 fence, other than perhaps the micro-adjust.I didn't need to use the trunnion adjust, as it was already aligned as perfectly as I could measure it. You can make your own zero clearance insert, and I'm going to have to buy a dust collector.

Don't know if I will use the 36-inch rip capacity, as I am used to laying my plywood on 2x4's, then crawling around on the shop floor and using a circular saw with a guide and a good blade. Note that the 3612 includes a stabilizing bar which is attached between the front and rear guide bars, about 4-1/2 inches in from the right end of the rear bar. This helps keep them from flexing when the fence is way out there, resulting in possible binding, kickback, and other horrors. You could probably work out something similar for your 2424, based on the drawings in the 3612 manual which you can download from this site.

I think the 2424 and 3612 are both really fine tools.
        Tony<br /><a href=\"http://www.mindling.com/passages\" target=\"_blank\">www.mindling.com/passages</a>

Comment

Working...
        X