X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing infeed roller and springs on TP13001

Does anyone have any experience changing the infeed roller and its springs on the TP13001 or TP1300 planer? Wood fed through the planer shows a very regular, deep scalloped pattern that is more evident on both ends. I've installed new knives, but the infeed roller is not making contact with the wood being fed through at all. The roller shows some wear, but I am wondering if just replacing the springs would be enough to fix the problem.

I did clean the roller and adjusted the height of the infeed tray according to the manual, but this had no effect. The metal wear plate does exhibit a scalloped pattern as well, but this seems to be an effect rather than the cause of the problem; if I put a piece of melamine over the wear plate and feed wood across that, I still end up with the same scalloping. Any suggestions, or specs on the springs? If I could get new springs locally that would be easier for me.

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Changing infeed roller and springs on TP13001

How old is the planer and how much use has it seen? Also what species wood are you working with and how long are the pieces. Just asking because I believe you should get years of use (unless you are using this commercially) out of a set of rollers.

The snipe seen on the ends of boards can often be remedied by running the board through on an angle so that a corner of the board leads into the first roller. I do this if I notice any snipe (scalloping as you call it) on the leading or trailing ends of a board. Works every time for me.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bob! I bought the planer used, so I'm not really sure; but perhaps it is 10 years old. It is one of the grey 13" planers. The roller looks fine for the most part, but shows wear on one spot in the middle. However, the planer seems to do the same thing regardless of whether I send the board down the middle or off to one side.

The snipe pattern that I am seeing is occurring for most of the length of the board, but is perhaps lessened in the middle third. The pattern is a regular undulating pattern with dips of at least 1/8" of an inch. I've planed maple, spruce and cedar with it and have seen the same result on all three, though less so with the spruce. The boards have all been in the neighbourhood of 3 feet in length and only 2 or 3" in width.

I was wondering about whether the springs need to be replaced because the knives (new) are sitting proud of the two rollers, and the infeed roller in particular seems to be well above the bottom of the knives (~1/8" or so). The knives are seated properly in the cutterhead. When I try to feed a piece through the planer, the infeed roller makes no contact, unless I were to take a really deep cut. I end up having to feed the piece through manually and pull it out the back side to avoid throwback.

Does it sound reasonable that either the springs or the rollers would be the culprit here?

Thanks again,
      Tim

Comment

Hey Tim,

With that expanded explanation of the problem it is not snipe as I was thinking. Given the age and since you recently acquired the unit it is impossible to know how much action this particular planer has seen as you stated.

It may be time to go inside and give everything a good cleaning and inspection and then take it form there. But it does sound possible that you have an alignment or adjustment problem or possibly a weakened spring or other fatigued part.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

tim....the older, gray colored ridgid stationary tools carry a lifetime guaranty that is specific to the tool based on serial number, not ownership. i'd check with ridgid CS and try to get them to cover any repairs that may be nescessary at an authorized repair facility. you'd be surprised, as i have been (i have a gray colored table saw, oscillating sander and jointer), at how helpful they can be regarding those gray colored stationary tools.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for the information on the lifetime warranty. Previously I'd read that this warranty is definately not transferable from one owner to the next, but hopefully you are correct. I'll give my service centre a call and see what they say about the issue.
            Thanks,
            Tim

Comment

the limited lifetime service agreement applieds only to the original owners of new tools. here is the LSA and current new tool warranty info:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty/

here is the lifetime warrranty info that appears in the owners manuals for all of my gray colored, older ridgid stationaty tools:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-Warranty/index.htm

HTH
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X