Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

HELP! Confused about 1/4" Reveal Any Tips for molding installation?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Confused about 1/4" Reveal Any Tips for molding installation?

We are in the middle of a major remodel and ran out of money so I went out and bought a rigid 10" laser precision cut miter saw and plan to do our own molding. I figure the worst that can happen is I lose some money (that I don't have).

I read some books and read some more. For the floor molding I am supposed to start at the back wall right?
    And my doors and molding around the doors has to be installed first Right?

What is the reveal? I know it's that little corner that is recessed but how do I do that?

I am doing a mission style modling around the windows with straight cuts. 4" side, parting bead on top and then a 5" molding straight and plain on top. For the base I am doing the 5 3/4 simple stuff they sell at Home depot.

Any advice for a beginner? I hope I am going to be able to do this.

I replaced 14 doors in my house over the last 4-5 years. Installing molding is fairly easy. If you can afford it I'd buy a pneumatic nailer and a small pancake compressor or rent one. The difference between using a nail gun and a hammer, finishing nail and nail set is like night and day. I used an 18ga primarily but a 16ga may be needed on the base at times and will work on the trim also. I installed 3" molding around my doors and left a 3/8 reveal. I don't know if there is a rule of thumb that specs. the reveal according to width of trim. I used a combination square set to 3/8" or slightly over and placed it on the jamb so that I could hold a pencil against the edge of the square and slide both down the door jamb and do the same on the top. Align the trim with those lines and your reveal should be consistent throughout the house. I always install the door trim before I install the base molding.

Comment

WHATEVER REVEAL YOU DECIDE ON, I'D SUGGEST USING A "GAUGE BLOCK" OF SOME KIND RATHER THAN ATTEMPTING TO MEASURE. I'VE USED 1/4" HARDBOARD RIPPED TO A MANAGEABLE SIZE SO I CAN FEEL THE REVEAL WITH MY HANDS. THIS USUALLY ASSURES A UNIFORM REVEAL AROUND EITHER A DOOR OR A WINDOW.
      IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

Check out this site and the resources for cutting all trim. Well worth a little investment.
        www.compoundmiter.com

Comment

reveal- set a combination square at 1/4". Put it against the door jamb and use its edge to make a pencil line on the side of the jamb where the casing will go, all around the opening. place casing on this line and nail it. A 1/4" piece of the jamb will remain showing, this is the "reveal".

baseboard goes on after you case the doors. read up on coping and start @ an inside corner with a butt or square cut end. if you're a right hander work around so you cope the right end of the boards for best results.

[ 11-29-2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: garbanzo ]

Comment

Working...
          X