Circle/Wheel Cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle/Wheel Cutter

Yesterday, I needed to cut a 4" hole and didn't have either a 4" hole saw or 4" forstner bit. I couldn't see plunking down the $$ for either the hole saw or the forstner as I probably wouldn't use it again for a very long time or maybe even never. I stopped at Woodcraft and picked up one of those circle & wheel cutters gizmos. The type that you chuck up in your drill press.

Now the quality of the cut is not anywhere near that of a forstner bit but it's just as good if not better than a whole saw. The one I bought will cut circles anywhere from 1" to 6" in diameter in stock up to 1" thick. It's certainly not something that I'll use very often but it's kinda handy to have around if you need to cut a hole and the bit you need isn't in your toolbox.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

BD, I picked up the same one almost a year ago. You will be surprised at how often you will use it. Can also be used in hand drill for drywall installation of can lights.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Dave: I have one and actually use it quite often. I make a lot of toys and it comes in quite handy. Cut out lots of wheels and discs.

As you said, not the best cutin the world, but nothing that can't be dressed up with a little sanding.

Woodrat

Comment

LV makes one witha double ended cutter so you can make clean wheels or clean holes. Has a much nicer cut than my previous one.

LV Circle Cutter

Comment

WB, I did look at that one but being on the impatient side, I settled for the Woodcraft version instead of having to wait a week for the LV version. I've never been disappointed with anything I've ever ordered from LV so I'm sure that I would have been very happy with their version too. BTW, the Woodcraft cutter is also a dual purpose unit as its blade can be adjusted to cut both wheels and circles.
          I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I looked at the "LV Cutter" that WBrooks provided the link for. Are all of the others that you are talking about similar to this? These used to be called "fly cutters" (perhaps they still are). In my manual for the Ridgid DP1550, it clearly states that this type of tool should not be used on that drill press! I figured it was because the imbalance inherit to a fly cutter my cause a serious problem with the "taper" fit, but I really don't know. Do any of you have an opinion about that? I've seen these used and suggested in many wood working books, but seeing that warning in my DP1550 manual makes me a little shy to use one on that tool. Any of your educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

LV says "BOOM" $39.95 and it is the same as the small size from woodcraft at $14.99. The WC large makes bigger sized hols and wheels and is only $30.99. Ya has ta shop before ya buys. LOL
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

CWS, I did a Google using "fly cutter" and the results make me think that what you're referring to is a different tool. What their search turned up for fly cutters doesn't even look like the tool I just got or the LV tool. I didn't spend a lot of time looking into this but it appears to me that a fly cutter is more for working with metal than wood.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan:
                  LV says "BOOM" $39.95
                  Dan, in the upper RH corner of the LV link you can select the type of currency you want the page to show. Click on US currency and BOOM(sorry, I couldn't help myself ) $39.95 turns into $26.50 US. Still more money than the Made In China Woodcraft version and I could be wrong but I'll bet there's a better than 50% chance that the LV one isn't made in China.

Comment

Very, Very nice! Might look into that in a year or so.
                    <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
                      CWS, I did a Google using "fly cutter" and the results make me think that what you're referring to is a different tool.
                      it appears to me that a fly cutter is more for working with metal than wood.
                      BOOM!! Right you are BD. A fly cutter is used in a vertical milling machine to shape metal.
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Before you guys think LV raised its prices by 50% you better click the link below again to reset your LV browser to US$ the $39.95 is Canuk bucks the LV cutter is only $26.50 USD.
                        LV Circle Cutter in US$
                        BD, I guess it is a blessing to be able to pop in on the way home from work, but my bank account wishes it was farther away

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks:
                          BD, I guess it is a blessing to be able to pop in on the way home from work, but my bank account wishes it was farther away
                          Yeah, that bank account thing may be true but I'd love to have a LV store near me. As I said before, never got a bad product from them and their customer service is soooo far ahead of everyone else that there really isn't anyone that comes close.

I don't want to turn this into a LV love fest but there aren't many companies out there that couldn't learn a thing or two from the way LV does business. I've even heard stories of them sending checks, without being asked, for the difference to customers who recently purchased a product that went down in price after they purchased it. Great company, you may be poorer but you're lucky to have them close by.

Anyone who doesn't have a LV catalog should go to their website and request one.

[ 04-11-2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: badgerdave ]

Comment

Badgerdave and Lorax,

In a couple of my older woodworking books (DeCristoforo's Power Tool series) that particular tool is referred to as a "fly cutter". Names do change over time, no doubt, but they do look basically the same. I guess I have to update my vocabulary! [img]smile.gif[/img]

But, on pages 4 and 30 of my DP1550 manual, it states, "Do not use fly cutters or multi-part hole cutters as they can come apart or become unbalanced in use."

I seen these things used on other drill presses and obviously you guys are using them... So, do you think that this warning is only in regard to the Ridgid product for some reason or perhaps just a "cautious" statement by Ridgid for liability purposes?

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

CWS: I'm surprised the lawyers don't make them put something to the effect of "Don't use this machine, you may hurt yourself"

As far as your original question, there is a lot of vibration when I use the cutter. And I do have the one shown in the post.

Possibly with a high enough speed, it could be possible for the adjustable arm to come out. I always run on slow speed with it, so I don't worry about it much.

Woodrat

Comment

Working...
                              X