Mortiser which one Delta or Jet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortiser which one Delta or Jet?

My wife wants to buy me an xmas gift. I want a bench top mortiser but its a bit of a delema figuring which is more bang for the buck. anyone with any comments on either of these equipment please help.

Thanks

Look at the General models before you make up your mind. They were rated best overall in a recent test by Wood Magazine.

General HOLLOW CHISEL MORTISER

American Woodworker recently ran a test and didn't like ANY of the fence/hold-down systems used on the bench top mortisers they tested.

I have a Delta drill press mortising attachment that I use now. It suffers from the same crappy fence/hold-down as the bench top mortisers do. I plan to try using a drill press cross vise in place of the fence and hold-down that comes with the Delta attachment. If I don't get respectable results with that then I plan to get the General 75-050 or the Powermatic Model #719. \they are in the $650.00 range, but I have a lot of mortising coming up in the work I have planned over the next couple years. If you take a look at the Powermatic or General(or have seen them first hand in Woodcraft or other stores), the clamping/hold-down system is not much different than adding a cross vise to a low-end mortiser or drill press with mortising attachment, which is where I got the idea from.

[ 12-11-2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Working...
    X