Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle/Pivot Adjustment on Drill Press Table (DP1550)

I've had the DP1550 press for a few years. Works great for my needs. Changing speeds is a pain, but manageable.

The reason for joining this forum is that I now need to change the angle/pivot of the table.

There is a split in the "neck" of the table where a collar attaches to the vertical post, enabling the table to be raised and lowered.

At that split is a degree scale with a pointer, indicating that the table angle/pivot can be adjusted.

I see a large bolt head on the underside of the table casting that I think is meant to be loosened/tightened with a wrench (going to do this within the hour, if I have a large enough socket) to adjust angle/pivot.

The question/issue is there a replacement for the socket wrench solution?
    Something that would be a hand adjustment like the other tensioning grips on the table?

Thanks!

Peter
    Last edited by shadowcatcher; 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Angle/Pivot Adjustment on Drill Press Table (DP1550)

I have the same drill press and it came with 2 wrenches, not sure but maybe one of them fits, I have a problem changing speeds also which is I cannot push the release lever in any suggestions?

Comment

The way the casting is made only a socket will work,as far as I know anyway. Maybe some one will jump in with some info.

Huck

Comment

Originally posted by papawd View Post
        I have the same drill press and it came with 2 wrenches, not sure but maybe one of them fits, I have a problem changing speeds also which is I cannot push the release lever in any suggestions?
        The lever is hard to push/pull, I hook a closed box end wrench over it and pry with the wrench to give me more leverage.

Comment

Shadowcatcher,

As far as I know, there is no optional handle or mechanism available, or for that matter ,needed to adjust this bolt. The DP1550 (Modle DP15501) comes with two hex (Allen) "L" wrenches and one stamped steel double-end wrench. With the latter, one end has a "open" end which is used to tighten or remove the quill handles and the other end is a "box" hex which fits that bolt head on the table pivot collar. You could of course use any other wrench of that size, including a socket; but, it's not like you really have to do more than loosen the bolt, and for that, the supplied wrench is sufficient.

However, it is very important to note that there is a setscrew which is located under that pivot bolt boss, and you will need to loosen that first, before you attempt to loosen the hex nut and pivot the table!

If you attempt to wrench that bolt head without loosening the setscrew first you're going to probably damage that bolt head!

With regard to the belt tension, take a look at the post in the "Open Discussion" area. I've placed a couple of posts there already, in this regard.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 11-19-2010, 02:26 AM.

Comment

The parts sheet for the DP15501 says that the bolt is M16 x 2.0, 35 mm long.

Go here and see if you can find a ratchet handle in the size you need.
            http://www.reidsupply.com/Results.aspx?bi=&pid=10022027

It won't be cheap, but if you want to get away from having to use a wrench it would work.

Also, now knowing the size required and what is available, you might look elsewhere (eBay for example) and find the same handle for much less. But watch out for poor quality materials. Remember you get what you pay for.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X