No announcement yet.

55" vs 66" jointer for 8' lumber?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55" vs 66" jointer for 8' lumber?

I'm about to buy a jointer. Based on my budget an 8" is out of the question, but I can afford either a 55" Jet ($800) or a 66" Powermatic ($900). I'd like to be able to edge joint 8' lumber for bookcases and perhaps some tables. I assume this is possible with a 66" bed. Anyone know how practical this is with the shorter 55" bed?

Re: 55" vs 66" jointer for 8' lumber?

Here is an 8" jointer that is within your budget, G0656P and it's 72" which is better yet.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

the longer the beds the better,

but I have jointed 8 foot on a shorter bed that that many a times, one has to keep the Board down tight on the bed but with some care either one should do you well,

I have been reasonable pleased with Grizzly products, not that I have a lot of there stuff but have found there equipment good,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

longer is better as has been said but the rule of thumb is to have a front table that is at least half the length of the longest board you expect to joint. which is not to say that it would be useless on a longer board only that for average use and reasonable effectiveness and accuracy a table half the length of the board is good and longer is better if its within your grasp financially.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.