Setting up shop on budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan,
    Sounds good to me. I love finding the best prices. Also I have heard about a sawmill (Anderson-Tully I think) in Vicksburg that sells direct to consumers. It may be worth a trip to load up on some cheap lumber.

Comment

OK everyone has done an excellant job of guiding you here. I will just add, you do not need a $400 jointer to start with. A TS, Planer, and good Router will give you the finest lumber you will find anywhere. You can add a jointer down the road when need and finances permit.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by WoodRooK:
        Alan,
        I can't wait for the Lowes to get here. I'm looking forward to trying to get them to outsell the other one.... "But lowes said they could sell it for..."
        Works in some cases. You'll find that Lowes and HD gets different models for very similar tools to get arount the price matching thing. The only difference may be an accessory, but it's enough to say they aren't the same.

Wandering around looking for "yellow" tags can be fun when you have the time. Sometimes the discounted item is a steal, sometimes I have seen things marked off less than a nickel.

Comment

Based on projects you listed above, I'd say you definitely want to start with a table saw. Although I have a DeWalt hybrid saw and love it (I sold my TS2424 and bought the DeWalt from a friend at a real good price), I don't think you can beat the Ridgid 3650 for the money--maybe the Grizzley, but the 3650 is a great value.
          For some of the other stuff (especially jointer and planer and drill press, if needed), you might want to check some the For Sale section of the local and area newspapers and other places where used equipment is sold. In The Tennessean, a Nashville, newspaper someone recently advertised an entire list of items for a well-equipped small shop. Of course, you need to be careful and check the stuff out, but sometimes you can almost new equipment for 50-75 percent of its list price, and older stuff at really good bargains, especially if you're able to do minor repairs. I've bought several used tools and only made one major mistake. I did buy a P-C router that needed major work. I had it rebuilt at a P-C service center and still ended up with a pretty good deal. I paid $70 for a 7518 3.5 hp at a pawn shop and paid $120-$130 to have it rebuilt. This was still about $80-$100 less than a new one, but I really wouldn't have bought it if I had known it would cost me that much. A problem with going the "used" route is that you have to be patient but be ready when a good deal comes along. Also, I would definitely stick to solid brand items that you know you can get parts for or have professionally repaired if you do buy a lemon.

Comment

Working...
          X