X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeshield Rust-Free Problems

I was at the charlotte woodworking show the other day and I decided to pick up the 3 piece Boeshield Bit&Blade cleaner, machine table rust remover (Rust-Free), and T-9 table protector kit for $20. I figured I'd use the Rust-Free on a couple minor, almost invisible rust spots on my TS-3650. I applied as the bottle said, and I wiped it off. A sticky, brown, splotchy stain was covering the areas I applied the product to. After 2 hours of sanding using a Black&Decker Mouse with a brillo pad and the Bit&Blade cleaner, I got it all off mostly, but now the table is duller and streaked up. I'm extremely angered to say the least. I just thought I'd let everybody know that this product damages expensive machines instead of cleaning them like it says.

That hasn't been my experience with Boeshield at all. I've used it on both my GI TS and Griz jointer, and haven't read of anyone else having a prob like that.....kinda baffling.

Comment

RS,

I too have used it on my 3650 and did not experience the problems you have encountered ???

Jerry
      It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

I used it on my 3650 with no problems just last night. Did you clean all of the shipping grease from the table top before using Boeshield? I stripped all the heavy gummy grease from the top with solvent.

Comment

RS,

Well, I experienced the same thing you talked about . It doesnt look as much like rust in my case as a reaction with sap or something.

In the past, typically I would cean the metal tops with Boeshield then protect them. This time, I was out of cleaner so just decided to spray some protector on for the upcoming weather we are expecting. I sprayed the 3650 and saw no problems but when I sprayed the jointer, the red/rust color jumped out at me. I have been working with pecan wood so dont know if that is the culprit or not, but, I now see what you experienced.

Did you use the cleaner before using the protector and have you been working with pecan?

Jerry

[ 04-09-2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]

Comment

I have had my 3650 for around a year, so the packing grease is long gone. And I have not machined any pecan wood. I simply sprayed on the "rust-free" product by Boeshield, and waited a few seconds as the directions said to. When I wiped it off, the table had serious brown splotches everywhere the rust-free was sprayed. I then tried to use the "bit and blade" cleaner to see if it would help, and it did somewhat. Now my previously shiney, reflective tabletop is dull and discolored. I don't know what to do. -By the way, what are the chances that the bottles had the wrong labels on them? The bit and blade cleaner seemed to help remove what the rust free had messed up. I doubt they could be switched, but it sortof seems like it. Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

I had a similar result when using the rust-free product. The T-9 product works great, but will not use either of the other products again.

Now, I just use WD-40 and a green scotch pad or the ROS to clean and after wiping off all the WD-40, I apply the T-9.

Bob R

Comment

I sent the URL for this page to Boeshield, we will see if they respond.

Jerry

Comment

Regarding Boeshield T-9 and other products from our company, we sell three different formulae: Boeshield T-9 is a solvent and wax compound used to lubricate and protect metal surfaces. Rust Free is a phosphoric acid based cleaner for removing rust and stains. Blade & Bit is an alcohol based cleaner for removing resin gum and pitch.
                  From the postings I've seen it sounds like the problems have been primarily with the Rust Free product. This is not suprising as it is a little tricky to use. Because of its acidity it will react differently with a number of surfaces depending on the composition. Generally it is best to use it very quickly (10-20 seconds) and then wipe it off, followed by a coat of T-9 to passivate the surface. If discoloration occurs it can usually be removed with a ScotchBrite pad on a random orbit sander.
                  Please feel free to contact us at 800 962 1732, 8:30 to 4:30 Eastern time if you have further questions. Also, we fully guarantee our products and will refund your purchase price if you are not happy with them. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Peter, I gotta say that the quickness of your response to steelewoodworkers' email is very impresses to me at least and on a weekend to boot. That definately deserves a double .
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I really appreciate the help and the fast response, however the rust-free bottle has nothing on it that says it could harm machinery tables. I was fast with the product- I wiped it off in probably 10-15 seconds. And after it messed up, it took two hours with other products including WD-40 and the scotchbrite pad under my new Bosch Sheetlok sander to get the table back to an acceptable state. I'm afraid the damage is done, and there is nothing more I can do about it. Any more ideas about removing what the rust-free did would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I just received my Jet 6" belt/9" disk sander. I'll post a review after I get a break from school and have a chance to really use it .

Comment

I use Penetrol and a green scotchbrite pad on my castiron tops. My grandfather has been using is for as long as I remember and it has always worked. Another trick is to find an old bathtowel and lay it over the top when not in use. The towel will absorb most of the moisture and your rust problems will be minamal.
                        Jeff

Comment

RS,

Your comments are right on. I had same result on my Powermatic contractor saw. Luckily - I only applied it to a small area initially and decided not to use the product any further.

The owner of Boeshield was on Woodnet about 8 - 10 months ago and said that you could avoid that by quickly scrubbing the product and wiping off immediately - and that it was a VERY STRONG acid that the product used to remove the rust.

Love Boeshield T-9 / Hate their rust remover.

If you don't mind a dull hazy cast iron surface - go ahead and use it - if you don't want a hazy dull look on your cast iron top STAY AWAY FROM THEIR RUST REMOVER

Jake

Comment

Howdy,

I've used Rust-Free, and for what it is I'm happy with it. Before I used it I read someplace it was acid-based. So I assumed it would have some "etching" action.

I've used it on the surface of my Delta B.O.S.S. spindle sander, which as you may know has a pretty coarse surface. It got out the rust, but also etched a fairly dull finish on the surface. No biggie here with this machine, but I wouldn't use it on machine with highly-polished cast iron surfaces (which I'll try to be more careful protecting from now on).

T-9 works great.

Comment

Working...
                            X