R4511 zci ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 zci ?

Finally got around to making some ZCI for my R4511. Having a router table would have made it easier but I was able make them with the hand held router. Question... what stock did you use for your inserts?

I had some 1/2" birch plywood laying around so i used that. Worked fine but I had to add a lot of tape to the bottom to shim them up. I drilled one hole in the back of each insert so I could secure them to the saw.

Re: R4511 zci ?

I too used plywood but it started to bow. Made quite a few now they are in the trash. What I tried next was Melamine covered particle board (shelf material). I used 3/4" and routed the ends down to about half inch to fit into the table pads. Next, shaved off the sides to allow it go all the way into the throat. Never had a better ZCI! I even have a phenolic insert for the dado blade that isn't as sturdy or flat. I'll be trying 3/4" MDF next.

Comment

I used 1/2" Baltic birch ply. They are dead flat. I too used a handheld router with a flush trim bit to follow the stock plate. I used #4 pan head screws on the underside of each corner for levelling. I also drilled holes with a counter bore for the hold down screws. I also drilled a 3/4" hole to make it easier to remove it. I will add some pics when I get out to the shop.
      Mike

Comment

I used 1/2 inch plywood, good one side. So far, 6 mos, it's fine. I put screws at each corner to level it, but didn't feel the need to put the anchor screws in each corner. So far, it hasn't lifted once.
        Brian

Comment

Brian / Mike - I never thought of putting screws on the underside for leveling the corners... great idea! The baltic birch I used is the top quality stuff so hopefully I should not have issues.

I was thinking of using some paste wax on the zci so they slide better. Any thoughts?

Comment

There's no question that the baltic birch is probably the better stuff to use if you have it. I didn't, so used what I had laying around. Paste wax won't hurt anything, but it's probably overkill. The first one I made was from MDF. One thing I noticed after making mine was that it was a bit sloppy fitting. I shimmed with duct tape until it was a tight fit and made another one using the one with the duct tape on it. This one fits a lot tighter. I also made one out of UMHW(think that's the stuff.. white plastic, slippery than heck) but haven't put a blade thru it yet.

One thing you may not have noticed, the inserts are capapble of being used for 2 blade thickness. Run your standard blade up thru it, then turn it 180 and run your thin kerf up thru it.
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X