X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4512 Table Saw: Unpacking and Assembly

Well, I bought one... the newly released Ridgid R4512 table saw. Cast iron top, cast iron table mounted trunions, 13 AMP. Currently $499 at Home Depot. I think it will be fine for what I'm doing as a new beginning woodworker. As long as it cuts straight, can be aligned properly and stay there, that's all I really need for now.

I'll post pictures of unpacking and assembly, for those that are curious. I've started unpacking it, but might not get to start assembling it until later this week or this weekend. I'll update this thread at that time.

The box fit fine into the back of my 2010 Subaru Outback. It took several HD employees to lift it up and slide it in, though. I think they were cursing the non-skid rubber liner in the cargo area. I know I was when trying to slide the saw back out again!

Top view of the box when you open it and removed the cardboard sheet: The smaller parts tray. I removed the fence, lifted the entire tray out, and set it aside.

View after removing the tray:

Looking inside the saw body. Note the casters wrapped up and placed inside.

Photo of an area another poster had issue. His saw shifted in transport, and this knob shaft damaged the fence rail that sits very close to it. Not a great packaging idea. Mine was fine, all packaging perfect, no damage that I've found yet.

Inside saw, looking at part of the trunions and the little drive belt.

Guts of the saw again, showing table mounted trunions, motor, etc.

Instructions: "Lift saw out of box..." Yeah, right! I'm alone, and that's NOT happening. Tilt the box carefully onto its side...

...carefully walk the saw out of the packaging and lay your boards onto the floor as directed by the instructions (raises the saw off the floor and protects the table top)...

...and carefully tilt the saw down into the assembly position. It's HEAVY. I believe it will definitely require two people (at least) to safely lift it upright once assembled. That will come later, though.

That's all for now. More to come later in the week or this weekend.

Re: Ridgid R4512 Table Saw: Unpacking and Assembly

So, the motor has been relocated & casters replace the herculift? What else is new, other than the, ahem, cast iron top?

Comment

congratulations on your purchase. and thanks for the initial look at the product as it is unpacked. it'll be fun to watch it come together.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Congrats on the new saw!

This thread's reminding me of when the R4511 was released, and the first photos of it (Millman, I think?).

Looks very similar to the packaging of the TS3660 so far, and nothing like the R4511.

Edited to add: Just noticed the fence rail is definitely split.

Comment

Congratulations!

I saw this on my visit to Home Depot on Friday afternoon. Unfortunately it was used as a storage area and between the boxes and other stuff on top of it, it was difficult to examine.

Thanks for posting the great photos and I'm looking forward to your progress and future postings.

Very nice of you to go through this extra effort,

CWS

Comment

Bldr: The lift is still used. Those are the casters that go on the lift mechanism. I didn't show the lift parts... maybe next episode.

The fence rail is definitely split. The fence itself is covered in slots for mounting jigs and accessories.

There is no reason for this moose smiley... I just noticed it off to the side and wanted to use it. Carry on.

Comment

Congrats. Looking forward to the fully assembled pics and to see how you like it.

Red
              Red

Comment

Nice job on documenting unpacking and setup. Keep it coming. Maybe Josh or someone could make this thread a sticky so everyone can find it easily as they did with the TS-3650 tips thread I started years ago.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
                  So, the motor has been relocated & casters replace the herculift? What else is new, other than the, ahem, cast iron top?
                  The cabinet mounted trunnions have been replaced with table mounted trunnions, and the steel t-square fence has been replaced with an aluminum fence that looks to be similar to the one on the TS3650. The manufacturer is different too....it's made by Dayton AFAIK, as opposed to Steel City's Orion subsidiary.

Here's a look at the guts of the former R4511:

Congrats on your new saw, and excellent job documenting the assembly. Hope you put a nice blade on it!
                  Last edited by hewood; 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Speaking of blades, what would people recommend? I'm interested in building furniture, built-ins, and maybe wall pieces (art), not framing and structure.

Would a combo blade serve me best, or dedicated rip and crosscut blades?

I am a weekend warrior, not earning a living at this. I have a 80(?) tooth Diablo blade for a miter saw that I could use on it, and I think I grabbed a 40 tooth Diablo blade when I bought the saw for general use and replace the stock blade.

Comment

Oh, by the way, since I was stubborn and in a hurry to unload the saw myself, I pulled some muscles in my back pretty badly. They'll heal, but it will take a week or so. I never learn!

I won't continue assembly until I feel a little better. Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by regdor1999 View Post
                        Speaking of blades, what would people recommend? I'm interested in building furniture, built-ins, and maybe wall pieces (art), not framing and structure.

Would a combo blade serve me best, or dedicated rip and crosscut blades?

I am a weekend warrior, not earning a living at this. I have a 80(?) tooth Diablo blade for a miter saw that I could use on it, and I think I grabbed a 40 tooth Diablo blade when I bought the saw for general use and replace the stock blade.
                        A good dedicated rip blade will be more efficient (will cut faster) than a general purpose blade but will leave a rougher cut, and a good crosscut blade should cut cleaner but will poses more resistance, so there are tradeoffs....either scenario can be a good choice for you. I would stick with the better lines from Infinity, Ridge Carbide, Freud (Premier, Industrial, Diablo), Forrest, CMT, Tenryu, DeWalt Precision Trim, former DeWalt series 60 or series 40, Amana, Systimatic, or Ridgid Titanium (by Freud)...some of the Craftsman Pro blades are also made by Freud.

I would avoid blades from Skil, Vermont American, the Irwin Marathon, Sprint, or Classic series, DeWalt contruction series 20, Oldham contractor grade, most Ryobi, Workforce, and the new "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" line from HD (no longer made by Freud)...they're disposable construction grade blades that are not well suited for furniture or finewoodworking IMO. A good blade can really have a huge impact on the end performance of the saw.

Some homework while you heal up!
                        Tips For Picking A Sawblade

Last edited by hewood; 12-03-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by regdor1999 View Post
                          Speaking of blades, what would people recommend?
                          I am a fan of Forrest blades. It's what I have always used and you can't go wrong with it. There are many other choices, but that is what I use and have had excellent results with. It's not a blade you will toss into a pile after a while like some other cheap blades.

Red
                          Red

Comment

over the past ~18 mos., wood amgazine has done at least two tool tests on blades at several price points. surprisingly, there are good blades to be had for half the price of the "top of the line" blades that perform quite well. the craftsman 10" rip blade i have on my saw now was rated a best buy in the last test. very good blade for a fraction of the cost of more expensive blades like forrest. the test is worth a look before buying. HTH.
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

What Red said will save you a lot of money over time Unfortunately, I learned the lesson about the ' less expensive' blades the hard way.

Big G

Comment

Working...
                              X