Lockable wooden box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockable wooden box

After doing some google and finding a page loaded with virus crud I thought I'd just ask here.

I need to make a box in the neighborhood of 12HX12DX18W (go with inches for giggles). The box needs to be lockable, but look nicer than a padlock.

If you have any links to some project plans so I don't have to make this up from scratch I'd appreciate it. I get tired of inventing all my projects.

Re: Lockable wooden box

Originally posted by rofl View Post
    After doing some google and finding a page loaded with virus crud I thought I'd just ask here.

I need to make a box in the neighborhood of 12HX12DX18W (go with inches for giggles). The box needs to be lockable, but look nicer than a padlock.

If you have any links to some project plans so I don't have to make this up from scratch I'd appreciate it. I get tired of inventing all my projects.

It sounds simple what is it for? I am making a box today after work for a church so it can mount their projector to the ceiling it will also have a lock on it since the last one was stolen in a break in. If you want to have some real fun you can make a box with a just a key entry instead of padlock.

Unless your going for some special look just use butt joints and tack the the thing together with a nail gun it's not that hard. I

If your going for a nice box just cut our your pieces and use dove tail joints if you have the right equipment.

I guess the question is what is the box for, how nice does it have to be and what kind of wood working tools do you have (router, bits, saws ect)

Comment

depending on materials used, a box joint could be a consideration as well,

but I agree, that a little more info would be helpful to give many more ideas, also how much security does one need? some locks are for looks and some are real locks, but a box that size can normally easily be carried so extreme locks are kinda fruitless,
      Last edited by BHD; 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        depending on materials used, a box joint could be a consideration as well,

but I agree, that a little more info would be helpful to give many more ideas, also how much security does one need? some locks are for looks and some are real locks, but a box that size can normally easily be carried so extreme locks are kinda fruitless,
        I agree,
        unless your bolting that to the ground then locking it is pointless unless you have some sticky finger kids that you want to keep out that wont run off with it. If we are talking jewelry box go to any store that sells knickknacks and buy one for 20 bux it will be faster and cheaper.

Comment

It would be an offering box and it would be bolted down. That said, it would rarely be unattended while it had anything in it.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
            It would be an offering box and it would be bolted down. That said, it would rarely be unattended while it had anything in it.

I have made a few of those. So you want to look nice and be able to lock.
            What I have done is glued together several pieces of oak, redwood and walnut. Mostly walnut with very thin pieces of a light colored oak between a thicker piece of redwood. This will make the colors pop and it looks great when it is done.

Then i take a forstner bit and drill out as much as I can.
            I then make a template and screw it the bottom of the box and route out the inside. So we basically have a box with no bottom or top.

I then use my router to create the slot in the top, I drill a hole around the same size as the router bit I am using and drop it over the bit, make sure to use your guides so you don't go to far either direction.

Then I glue the bottom and top on usually using an oak a piece no larger then .25" to .50". Once dried I then use my table saw and cut the top off. I then route the hinge side of the box top and bottom to allow the box to open smoothly. I then routed the edges to smooth it out and sanded.

I attach the hinges on the back and on front, I had found a used gold colored lock I picked up at an antique store it was very cool looking, small but heavy duty.

I don't have the dimensions for everything because I just made it with out any. Free style woodworking and it turned out awesome! I know what some of you might be thinking but hey it worked and I do know the proper way to make a box with different joints but I felt like being creative and it worked. So

Comment

Working...
            X