X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 How do you Adjust Fence to 90 degrees

I have a TS 3650 Saw. The fence is not 90 degrees from the table. How does one adjust the fence to 90 Degrees

Re: TS 3650 How do you Adjust Fence to 90 degrees

I would suspect that your problem lies with the rails not being level with the table and not the fence itself.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I will check that, but I suspect that the amount the fence is out of square(1 or 2 degrees) for the lenght of the rails could be a 2" variance from either side of the table saw.

I was hoping that there was an adjustment that could be made on the fence itself.

Comment

somewhere on this forum there is a thread from another poster with what sounds like the same problem. he posted a photo of his fence and it turns out the fence was not manufactured "square". the face of the fence leaned 1-2 degrees away from the blade relative to the table. the fence face was the problem. put a reliable square on your fence to verify this isn't your problem. if it is, i'd contact ridgid CS. if it is square, the rails are probably the problem.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

check the fence is sq to the table as Finer says, but also check that the rails are secure and are parallel to the table top. Also look at the underside of the fence to be sure that there is no buildup of sawdust or other debris that might be interfering with it seating properly on the rail. Verify both of the plastic glides are in place on the bottom side of the head.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you can't find a suitable adjustment, you could always add faces to the fence, and shim them square as needed.

The pic below is from a Ridgid R4512 that belongs to "Purplev", but you get the idea:

Comment

I like the added fence faces. How does this fence perform. It looks a loose copy of a Biesemeyer T-Square style.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                I like the added fence faces. How does this fence perform. It looks a loose copy of a Biesemeyer T-Square style.
                It's not my fence, so I can't say from personal usage other than fiddling with the stock configuration in stores. It is a steel t-square style fence, but it's quite a bit lighter duty than a Biese, and has a two-piece front rail. From what I've read, most owners seem to think it works pretty well once adjusted properly.

Comment

I have determined that my fence was not square relative to the table with a squrare and I also checked to make sure there was not any saw dust that would impact the fence. The rails are secured as well. I think that the fence from the manufacturer is off. I was wondering if there was an adjustment to make it square. The manual does provide any adjustment solution.

Comment

If the rail is parallel to the table top and you believe the misalignment is in the fence itself, that is the fence face (sides) are not 90° to the table top then the only way I know to adjust it would be to shim the fence (#2) to the head (#26).

Look at the snag-it clip above from the Parts Sheet (copy available here) on page 6. The glides I was referring to are item #24 (RIP FENCE HEAD SLIDER) as shown on pg 26 and listed in the BOM on pg 27. If one is missing or broken or damaged it will affect alignment.

There are two places I see where you could shim the fence:

The first is to slightly loosen the four screws (18) that clamp the Fence (2) to the Rip Fence Housing (14). Place a thin shim on the left or right side (but not both) to tip the fence either way you need to be 90° to the table. Then tighten all four screws evenly and check for square to the table top and for parallel to the miter slot (not the blade).
                    Reference everything to the one fixed element, the miter slot. You can't change the slot location or anything else about it so everything should be adjusted to it. If you align the blade to the miter slot then use the blade as reference to make alignment adjustments to other parts any errors will multiply, so check one alignment to the others as necessary but whenever possible make adjustments referencing the miter slot.
                    The second place you could make an adjustment that I see is between the Rip Fence Housing (14) and the Rip Fence Head (26). There are four 1/4-20 HH screws (13) to loosen here. Be warned that loosening these screws WILL disturb alignment of the fence to the rail and you WILL have to square the fence with the miter slot and rail when you finish shimming. Shim the left or right side as needed to make the fence face 90° to the table top. You can use pieces of paper as thin shims if you have no shim stock, or a thin piece of stiff plastic. You'll have to experiment as it will depend on how much correction your fence needs. If you have a set of feeler gauges check to see how much gap you have on the fence when your square is tight to the table top. If it open at the top of the fence then shim the opposite side by the amount of the gap you measure on the fence face. Why? Because the spread of the 1/4-20 screws is about the same as the height of the fence. So a .005 gap on the fence should need about .005" of shim to correct. Its just a starting point. If you have an old set of feeler gauges (or are willing to buy a set to break apart for individual blades to be used as shims) you can use the feeler gauge blade(s) of the correct thickness to shim as needed. Use your calipers to find paper of various thicknesses to use as shims, you should easily find a large selection around the house. You could even use aluminum foil as an example or a piece cut from a soda or beer can for something thicker.
                    Attached Files
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

You also need to make sure your table extensions are in the exact right spot,they also effect the rails which will cause your fence to be out of square.
                      -Thirsty

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty View Post
                        You also need to make sure your table extensions are in the exact right spot,they also effect the rails which will cause your fence to be out of square.
                        True, the rails need to be parallel to the table top and also the extension wings which should be in the same plane as the table top. If the rails are not parallel then the angle between the fence face and table will vary. It might be good within 6 inches of the blade and it could be out a degree or so at 36 inches away.

So how to check that the rails (mostly the front rail) are parallel to the table? Use a good machinist square as a depth gage and measure down from the table top. I would start next to the blade and level out in both directions left and right from there. You have very little allowance for adjustment, only the play in the bolt holes, but it may be enough and if not maybe think about elongating those where you need more vertical movement.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                          If you can't find a suitable adjustment, you could always add faces to the fence, and shim them square as needed.

The pic below is from a Ridgid R4512 that belongs to "Purplev", but you get the idea:

This is not a R4512 in the picture. It looks like a 4511. It has a granite top and the 4512 has a cast iron top.

Comment

Regardless of what model saw it is, the suggestion of adding faces to the saw fence and shimming them square still applies.

Comment

Working...
                            X