X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Shop

This is a nice setup. I'll never have this much room (unless I force the wife's car outside, which would end up costing me big time). I've got 625 sq ft, and that will do nicely for me.

http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Sh...r_Current.html
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Dream Shop

Woah.... much too big!

I can't imagine ever having that much room, but I suppose it gives us all something to wish for. Actually, my little basement shop is about the size of this guy's "tractor stall".

One advantage of my space over his is that I don't have to worry about wearing myself out walking from one machine to the next. Like switching from my RAS to my drill press is a simple matter of turning around!

Unfortunately my little space is so small that I still have my Ridgid thickness planer and jointer out in the garage, where they are still in their boxes, yet to be used.

Oh well, it's certainly nice to look at something like this though... maybe this next summer I'll be able to move from the basement to the side of the garage.

Thanks for the post,

CWS

Comment

i'm envious of bob's 625'! i'm working out of a 240 sq' 1 car garage and insist that when all tools are stowed, i can still park a small minivan in there. that linked shop is impressive.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I wonder who he hires to keep it spotless? Mine hasn't looked that clean since the day it was built.

Comment

That guy must have worked very hard in his lifetime to be able to have a shop like that. More power to him, he is an example to everyone of what hard work can sometimes bring to those who are unafraid of it.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It is a beautiful shop, but IMO not over sized, If one builds a full kitchen or any thing that is large your room is suddenly minimal

the main thing IMO that is missing is a finishing room/area.

the other thing is for him there is still room for some expansion of tools and equipment,

the other thing is that the wood and the metal areas should be more separate, oil and saw dust does not mix well, oil on wood is a mess and saw dust on the mill is not good,
            at least swap the mill and the miter saw, keeping the wrenches in the wood area is fine as you need them there as well, I would move them over by the door of the storage area, and work on the metal or mechanical in the storage/tractor bay,

when working on engines (or rebuilding them) or changing oil, welding NOT in the wood shop, move them to metal area,
            but like I said that is my opinion, I had a mixed shop for may years and it was not good for either process.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Beautiful shop, and I understand the hard work aspect of it.

I have about 800 sq ft in my basement, and it's OK, but far from ideal.

However, I have a great advantage. I was a proper soldier, not a marine wannabe

Comment

Yeah, to me it's huge. I agree with BHD about separating the metal working from the wood shop area. And yes, I noticed no finishing area either. But hey, he's probably got another 800 sf building just for finishing behind this one.

I know compared to most home shops I have way more space, but I just got lucky, it was there when we bought the house. The guy before me was into hang gliding and he stored his gear in the area I use as a shop now. I don't have a separate finishing area either, and that makes it a PITA as I am sure most of you know when it comes time to apply finish to a project.

That is one reason I try to stay on top of keeping the shop as clean as I can. So I won't have such as mess to clean before finishing a project, for personal safety (trips/slips and respiratory hazards being two), and keeping everything in its place makes it easier to find for my failing brain. I'll tell you sometimes I search that 625 sf for my dust brush or some tool it feels like I am searching the grand canyon, I can't find whatever it is to save my butt.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

It's an awesome shop no matter how you look at it.

Red
                  Red

Comment

I just went back to this site and looked at the write up he did on the construction of this building. He went all out for a shop. DC piping buried below the slab, water and LP gas piped to the building, etc. I doubt this is purely a hobby shop, he must be making money out of it somewhere along the line.

http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Ne...struction.html
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

The basic building was $31k in 2006. No interior insulation, finishing, heating, water or electrics. Looks to me like he has at least $50k in it, not including machines.

Still, if he uses it to make $50k/yr, and it lasts him 20 years, that's pretty inexpensive overall at $2500 per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I doubt this is purely a hobby shop, he must be making money out of it somewhere along the line.
                        At very least he's been provided tools from Ridgid for his reviews (as mentioned at the end of his on-line reviews). I see no indication that he sells his woodwork.

I wonder if he is a member of this forum.

Comment

He did do a nice writeup on the TS-3650 a couple years ago, the review is still on his site.
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

I'm surprised by the lights he used. First I'm surprised because I wasn't familiar with 105w CFI bulbs. That must be like looking into a sun. Second I'm surprised that he opted for using a bare bulb CFI. I'm pretty sure that I would have taken out one or two on my first wood delivery.

Comment

Very impressive! I've got 275 sq ft during the winter (one stall) and about 500 sq ft spring through fall (two stalls) when I can park the truck outside.

We're due for about 12-18 inches in the next 24 hours here in the Twin Cities, so guess where the truck is!
                              Pete
                              My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
                              http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X