R4510 10" Table Saw - Blade position question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4510 10" Table Saw - Blade position question

I just bought a Ridgid M# R4510 10" Table saw with stand.

I mainly want to use it for ripping plywood.

When I tried installing the guard it didn't sit correctly, like the manual showed. I read that the saw is shipped in non- cut through or down position. For the guard to sit right it must be in the cut through or up position.

I am a wood noob.

Do I have to adjust this blade for up or cut through position? And should it be in this position to use the saw for ripping plywood?

Thanks for any help.
    http://www.hvactechgroup.com

Re: R4510 10" Table Saw - Blade position question

Got one of these myself last week. I believe that you have failed to raise the spreader/riving knife....this took the most time for me to figure out, and was the least clear instruction in the manual. You cannot install the kickback or blade guard until you do this, as the saw is shipped with it in the "down" position. See on page 18 "to change between a spreader and a reaving knife".
    Even after you raise it, the installation of the 2 guards is tricky....you have to hold your mouth right!! But make sure you get it right before ripping your plywood. Once you do it a few times it is not that hard.
    Happy ripping!!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I got it all setup properly now.

I wonder why Ridgid ships it in the non-cut through, down position. You think more people would be using the cut through, up position.

Cheers
      http://www.hvactechgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tech X View Post
        Thanks for the help. I got it all setup properly now.

I wonder why Ridgid ships it in the non-cut through, down position. You think more people would be using the cut through, up position.

Cheers
        They probably do it to save space in the shipping container. It also reduces the chance of the splitter/knife being damaged (bent) during shipment.

Frankly, I do not particularly like using either the blade guard or the anti-kickback locks (I consider the latter to be workpiece scratchers), and so I always use the saw with the knife in the low position and the guard assembly removed.

I have NEVER had a properly adjusted blade/knife (or splitter), and with a properly adjusted fence, kick back at me.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
        X