X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest WWII vs. Freud

I was about to buy a second crosscut/finish blade and I’ve been reading all the good reviews of the Forrest WWII (Ken D's post from 3/5/03 and other posts). I currently use a Freud/Diablo 80 tooth ATB blade (D1080X) that I picked up at HD for $58. I use that blade for all my finish cuts on sheet goods and hardwood (crosscuts) and I always get clean cuts. I’ve used it for a year and I’m just having it sharpened for the first time. My sharpening service said to stick with Freud and I know a couple of cabinet shops that use Freud as well. I was about to pick up another one of those but now I have some questions: Are the Forrest blades that much better? Anyone have experience with a Forrest WWII and an 80 tooth Freud? I use separate rip and crosscut blades now so should I bother with a combo blade? Thanks in advance…
    Patrick

The Freud 80T and the WWII is not a true match, the WWII is a combination blade while the Freud 80T is a finish blade. That said, I have the Freud LU84 50T full kerf combo and love it. The WWII may be better but it is not $40-$50 better. I have the plain steel version (no teflon and no chrome) and consistantly get good cuts.

gator

Comment

I now use a FWII alone in my 3612, reg kerf. It works beautifully. You will not be disappointed. You do not have to change blades. The only drawback is that you should send it back to be sharpened. So, this gives you an opportunitiy to miss it.
      Good luck. They are worth it.

Comment

I own a Freud FJ-85 jigsaw, LU85C010 CMS blade and a couple of their router bits and all are, IMHO, exceptional. I can't recall ever reading or hearing anything bad about a Freud product. As far as the Freud products that I've purchased are concerned, my opinion is that I got more than what I paid for.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I will not say any one blade is best. I honestly admit I have never found the need to envest what a Forest blade costs. I own a wide variety of blades, from the $10 Oldham 24 tooth for ripping 2x's, to $60 Frued 80 tooth cross cut, and everything inbetween. I will say experience will rule what blade you use on what kind of wood, even when looking at grain pattern in the piece your ripping. Knowing your blade and how sharp it is also is a factor.

Every Frued blades I've purchased has outdone it's expectations in performance, clean and smooth cuts. Even the cheap brands will for a short time, but dull quite faster.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody, what you wrote about owning a wide variety of blades was the point I was trying to make in my other post. I was hoping that all these people who are buying new saw's will buy 1 really good saw blade that does everything well. I have personally spent alot more than what my WW2 cost ($90.00)on blades from the depot and other places trying to get a nice cut. Then I bought a stabilizer (more $$$) trying to get those blades to cut good. My previous blade, a Freud 60 tooth (Diablo I think) just does not compare to the WW2.
            I am just trying to say others money in the long run.

[ 03-07-2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Ken Deckelman ]

Comment

From the Web boards, I concluded that Freud was so good that it was hard to be better. But that Forrest was better. So, despite being a cheapskate, a Forrest WWII went on the Christmas list. And Santa was good. And I love the Forrest.

As one post said, why put a $20 blade (or even a $60 blade) on a $600 saw, when the thing that does the work is the blade. Several posts discussed how long it stays sharp, and how many times it can be sharpened. I don't know since mine is still sharp, and I have gone through over $600 worth of hardwood since I got it.

I have used the Forrest to rip 2 inch thick black walnut, at a fairly high speed, smooth cut, and without bogging down the motor. The same blade crosscuts leaving the end grain like it is sanded. Tearout, even in hardwood plywood, is a thing of the past. Hard to believe the difference.

There is no denying the Freud is a very good blade. But I will probably never get to try one, because I am sold on Forrest.

Comment

It guess it comes down to whether you want to use one good combination blade or a combination of good blades. I already use several blades for specific tasks so I'll probably keep doing the same thing. I was just fishing to see if there was something I'd overlooked when choosing blades. Thanks guys.

I posted before I read the last two replies. Maybe I'll look for a Forrest demo at the WW show next month to see first hand why they've got such loyalty.

[ 03-07-2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Patrick A ]
                Patrick

Comment

For those who use the FWII, do you use the 1/8" or the 3/32" kerf? I like the idea of using one blade rather than trying to pick out of several choices and was leaning toward the II with a 5" stabilizer. However, I've read that some saw's splitters are not compatible with a thin-kerf blade. How does the 3612 with these type of blades?

Thanks

Patrick
                  Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

i too considered the WWII but at the time i was looking did not compare it to freud. i do own a few freud blades including my thin kerf finish blade on my miter saw. and the freud stack dado set both of which icould not be happier with. however, when looking for a quality blade for my ridgid TS3612 it came down to two choices. the WWII and the CMT general. i went with the general and couldnt be happier with it, with one exception, it does burn a little on occasion when mitering hard wood on my table saw. i found myself ripping a bunch of poplar at one point and invested in the CMT rip blade as well.

freud has since came out with a glue line rip blade that claims to do what the WW2 does at a much lower price. if you have the means to joint your wood and such, i would recommend looking at the CMT general. great blade for the money. if you are stuck between the freud and WW2 honestly i am not sure which i would pick....would depend on teh status of my pocketbook at the time
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Anyone have experience with a Forrest WWII and an 80 tooth Freud?

A couple years ago, I exactly compared a 1/8" kerf, 40 tooth WWII, with a Freud TK806 (.098" kerf, 80 tooth). There was no comparison, the Freud produced a much finer cut edge, even though it had quite a few miles on it and the Forrest was new.

I've since switched to a Systimatic 1/8" kerf crosscut blade, also an excellent blade that I'm able to get for less than a LU85.

I've been able to examine crosscuts produced by several WWIIs that have very happy owners, and none of them meet my expectation for an excellent cut. Everyone hates sanding, and sanding end grain is the worst. I'm not about to use a blade that makes more of it a requirement.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, that review is just what I was looking for.
                        Patrick

Comment

Just my 2 cents, some will disagree. I have had good luck finding deals which were not always my first choice in blades after reading reviews and talking to people. Personally, in my experience I have often been able to get more expensive blades for close to the same price as “better value” blades. That said, I wait until I find a deal instead of buying when I need one. My advice is know which blades are good from the reviews (regardless of price) and then see if you can't find a deal.

For example, I recently got the good 80-tooth Systimatic cross-cut blade for under $50 at a woodworking show, cheaper than the Freud which mas my choice for the money. I am very happy with the Systimatic and also happy with my Forrest WWII combo blade I purchased some time ago. A woodworking show link is below. Carbide.com has had some good deals recently as well.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/tjr/V33/index.cvn

Comment

Working...
                          X