Poor Ridgid displays at Home Depot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan,

I am passing this on to our rep group. Matter of fact I try to pass any complaints of store displays on to our reps in the field. We also try whenever we can to communicate these complaints to Home Depot. We are always interested in making the display look as good as possible and we realize having a poor store display is like going to a car dealership where the only car you can look at is missing a wheel and has a couple large dents.

To those of you who browse lots of woodworking message boards, can I ask a favor? If at anytime you see a complaint on the condition of the RIDGID display at a Home Depot store please let contact me via e-mail at jacob.schnarre@emersontool.com . Also if you have been in a store that needs attention please pass it on to me.

Thanks
    Jake

Comment

Well at least one Home Depot has cleaned up their act. The store in Hampton VA. Display of Ridgid Tools is looking much better. They have a neat area and all the tools on display have all their parts. The Only negitive note is that the TS-2424 on display is an older model with otu the Herc-U-Lift. Other then that it looks good. Let hope the store that dont have good dispalys follow the Hampton VA. stores lead.
      Dan [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

I to have noticed the slow decay of the Rigid and Tool Corral in general at my HD. I really hate to go to Lowes But I must admitt sometimes I do because their choice of other tools and displays are much better. I also have to admitt that the new HD across town (1yr) display is much better but still could use some improvement. Enough of that I am a new TS2424-1 owner and a 13" Planner owner ( sorry don't know the model # off hand) as of about 3 days and I'm excited about using them very soon.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Billiam ]

Comment

It is just a store thing. I think as a store is around for a while, with the same employees, they start to get lazy. Their attitude is "Hey! It's just a job! Right?". Plus, I see a lot of kids working in some of these places and they do not know anything and don't care.

Our HDs here in Huntsville, Alabama area are great. We had one store that relocated to the West side of town and they built another on the East side of town. The one on the West side is almost next door to Lowe's. The Lowe's store has been there a while and is a mess! They hardly ever have anything in stock. Their main power tools (such as table saws) are Delta. And THEIR displays are crap at that store. Saws missing parts, rusty, etc.

By contrast, the 1 and 1/2 year old HD next door is fantastic. Great displays. Clean and organized.

Comment

Back in early April I posted here that the HD in my area (Omaha) had a lousy Ridgid tool display. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, however, as this was a fairly new store and they were obviously having trouble getting help.

Since that time 2 more HD's have opened and a Lowes will be opening soon (my aren't we getting cosmopolitan ). I haven't visited any of the new HD as they are too far away. If Ridgid would send me a check (or free tools) for consulting fees, I would be happy to go and inspect them, however.

I'm pleased to report that the HD I complained about has cleaned up their act. Display is much better arranged. Tools are still a little dirty and missing a few parts, but it's come a long way from where it was. Now have price tags etc. It's still pretty obvious that the people (clerks) in the tool area don't know which end of a hammer to use but there is hope.
            Dick

Comment

Well I guess you can add the HD's at Lewisville and Mesquite Texas too! They don't seem to care. I buy a lot from them but they tell me it is a corporate decision NOT to spend a great deal of effort on the displays and their areas. Seems they are too busy training their EXPERTS and with employee turnover. Duh!
              I have spoken with the Managers, district reps, & Dallas home office. The general attitude is Oh Well!
              Ridgi has been in production for a long time. Too bad they can't defeat apathy within the ranks of ther retailers.

Comment

question, if they can't manage these displays, would anybody actually buy a grill that's preassembled at HD. I can just picture the guy throwing away the "extra parts" that didn't quite make it into the final assembly.

Happy grilling.

Comment

Home Depot#3846 is a big mess tools on the ground, parts missing, can't get in the back to look at dust collector,band saw or jonter. The hole store needs cleaning.
                  Andy B.

Comment

I have noticed at the HD close to me that the displays vary from time to time. They didn't have the jointer there for some time but last week there was another one set up. I was there purchasing the 13" surface planer which I just set up. I had thought they quit handling the jointer but am glad that they haven't because that is next on my list to purchase. I hope HD and Ridgid stay together.

Comment

I was not impressed today when a "sales associate" at HD reached across the 13" planer I was about to purchase and pulled the sale price off. $30 added to the price convinced me the Delta at another store marked $120 less is the machine for me. Sorry Ridgid and HD.

Comment

Hello,
                        I just wanted to say that I just bought the TS2424LS that I mentioned in another posting a day ago from the new Home Depot in Lincoln, Ne. I relied on the clerks to load the saw on the cart for me and get it to the front check out while I grabbed a few other goods. After traveling a 100 miles back home and assembling the saw yesterday I noticed the fence rails package was not included. I called and they are going to be sent but I think the clerks should be trained better on what goes with what. I am pretty savvy on tools and didn't rely on them much in my decision on the product but was a bit frustrated when I had to stop my assembly because they didn't give it all to me. I run into this frequently at my local Menards store.
                        Question for Jake,
                        Do you run a training course for HD employees on your products? I worked for a farm supply retailer at one time and they trained us for just a day every month on a product line and it helped a bunch... Sales went through the roof... We knew all about what we were selling and most of the time the customer walked out the door with the good we were promoting. The thing is we were interested in what we were selling. Many times customers would comb the store to find you and ask questions on return visits because they knew they would get answers… Customers like to be sold too. Sometime it may take 5 min. or 5 visits but the product can’t always sell it self. Companies that rely on products selling them self usually lose. Ridgid should put 1 Ridgid employee in each HD to maintain product and promote??? Bet he would pay for himself. Maybe a Ridgid employee maintains a couple stores in a region. This comment is based on what I have read from other postings in this topic…
                        Anyway the new Lincoln store looked good but it is only days old... I hope to buy more Ridgid products there in the future but will double check the carton quantity before leaving the store next time...
                        Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I could not let this go by without a post. I made the same complaint months ago on Ridgid forums and others. The HD in Gainesville, Florida is a joke. Their displays and stock have only gotten worse since I was attempting to purchase a thickness planer. I recently wanted to purchase a DP but the only one they had was a display model. The display was not set up properly and was non-operative. It looked so bad and cheap I requested opinions from Wood Smith Forums. The responses where positive and that is what will sell the product...NOT HD. I already have to drive 50 miles round trip and don't want to drive further only to find another store as inadequate.

Comment

Well, someone has to come to HD's defense, and since I've posted a negative observation or two up to this point, I guess I should report that, with respect to the HD in Waltham, Massachusetts, someone has been listening. The RIDGID tools have been moved out of the pile they were in in the tool corral, to a display area that is fairly large. The tools are fairly well set up, and there is sufficient room to peek and poke around, and the display is (by HD standards) pretty clean. I was actually able to show my wife why the 2424 is different from the 2412 (and what I want). Jake, if you've had anything to do with passing along these observations, you should take comfort from knowing that it is doing some good.

Comment

For what it's worth, the Gurnee, IL HD has improved their tool display as well. The Ridgid line is in it's own coral and pretty well set-up. I also notice that just about everything in their tool area was in better shape. Not sure if HD if improving things in general or if it's because of the holidays.

Comment

It has been almost 6 months since I posted my comment on this discussion. Home Depot is still great and Lowe's still aint! Few people at that Lowe's know what they are talking about or want to help. In contrast, the Home Depot continues to be quite friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X