Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase of R4512 table saw

Hi out there:

I was on earlier today regarding an R4511 with the granite top. It was on craigslist for $400. I just saw a R4512 on craigslist for $375 asking price.
    Could someone comment on the R4512 for me vs. the R4511. Thank you.

Re: Purchase of R4512 table saw

The 4511 was Ridgid's granite top saw. Pretty ruggedly built and there were a lot of positive posts about it. But, there was also a lot of these that were received "damaged". My understanding is that it was extremely heavy and that shipping and handling was a factor because of the weight. It wasn't on the market very long.

The 4512 was only recently available and I'm surprised that they are already showing up on the "used" market. Basically, this is a cast-iron top saw, with split rails and pressed sheet steel extension wings. Sears has a look-a-like wearing the "Craftsman" badge.

On personal observation, it appears to have a sturdy base, nice mobility with a newly designed lift. The fence seems okay to me, as does most of the saw. But, I didn't like the split rail or the stamped sheet-metal extension wings. My observations have been reflected by others too.

However, in regard to your specific CL saw. It might be just me, but I'm not sure that I'd take the jump for a "used" saw, when there's often sale and discount possibilities to pick up a brand-new saw for not much more. It's not impossible to get 10% or more, just by asking. With 10% off, that would make the "CL" vs "New" difference of only $125. With "new" you have the 3-year warranty and the option to register for the free Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. The latter, IMHO, makes the price difference well worth a new purchase, even if you had to pay the full list price. Just my opinion of course.

I hope this helps, and Merry Christmas,

CWS

Comment

Thank you for your wisdom. I think I will probably go the "new saw" route like
      you suggested. I agree with you on the wings. I think they could sell more of them if the top was all cast iron. Still debating on which model to purchase.

Thanks again.

Dardwood.

Comment

The R4511 had a safety recall in 2009 for spitting out stacked dado blades. I think that's why they were discontinued.

Comment

Here's a link to the notice:
          http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09311.html

There are parameters to the recall. Perhaps the one on craig's list is not included.

Comment

Originally posted by niwashikun View Post
            The R4511 had a safety recall in 2009 for spitting out stacked dado blades. I think that's why they were discontinued.
            There was a safety recall on the early models, but only effected a handful of saws. I highly doubt that was the reason they were discontinued.

Comment

Working...
            X