X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R29302 Router Insert Plate

My wife purchased the R29302 router combo kit for me for christmas. This is my first router, so i'm a complete newbie. I'm looking to get a router table for it. I think I'd prefer to build one, since it would be a great learning experience for me.

I'm somewhat limited in space, so I was thinking about making a "breakaway" one that mounts on the side of my work bench, and then breaks away or folds up when not in use. I haven't worked out the logistics on this yet.

Whether I do this or not, I still want to build a router table. I was thinking about using 2 3/4" mdf sheets for the table top. I'm not sure what to do for the router plate insert, however. I'm assuming I should buy a metal insert, but i dont' know where to start.

Can someone point me in a direction for getting a plate insert that is compatible with my router? If I'm way off base, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Re: R29302 Router Insert Plate

Do you have a tablesaw? Have you considered replacing one of the wings or adding an extra wing as the router table? There are a few threads here with that solution.

Comment

I do have an R4511.

I wasn't sure of the cost involved to extend the arms and put a router insert into it. I'm fairly new to all things handy, so modifying a tool that already works seems a little scary.

Comment

I use a Rockler table top and plate with my Ridgid router, but you can buy a plate from several sources and make your own table if you wish. Basically, any Porter-Cable 690-compatible plate should fit the R2930 router. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21299

I'm not a big fan of MDF. While it has great density, I think that normal 3/4-inch will sag from the weight of a router hanging on it. Perhaps double thickess or other means of reinforcement would be necessary.

The Rockler table top is about an 1-1/8 inch thick and so far has held up well.

A good router table top, if you can find one, is a sink "cut-out" from a kitchen countertop. At one time, you could get these from almost any kitchen installer, just for the asking. Not so sure how available they may be nowadays. They are a bit smaller than the Rockler table that I have, but certainly are larger than some of the tables that I have seen.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

here is what a couple of 4511 owners did:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ht=4511&page=3
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have that router and made my own insert plate out of 1/2 birch ply with some laminate on top. Using the ply means I can make multiple inserts for different routers. I have one for the Ridgid and for my PC690.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Does anybody have good information for extending the arms to 6 feet or so?

Comment

"arms"???????????
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Sorry about that.
                  Extending the tabletop.

If I need new supports, both the square tube support and the "L" shaped piece, what am I looking for?

What dimensions, material, ect.. for the supports?
                  How thick of metal?
                  Are there predrilled supports available?

Comment

I saw space was limited for you, but if you can squeak-out a little more space I think you would be glad you did.

I constructed a table for one of my routers as a torsion box and covered it with a white, fine grain countertop material using contact cement. After that was complete I purchased a Lee Valley router plate that includes a template and good instructions for routing out the plate diameter (I would suggest purchasing the plate first so you can develop your proper clearances before you build the torsion box).

I built its stand after the box was done from 2X4s (you may want to do this first--it could provide a working surface). I created a lip around the box so it could be positioned onto, and removed easily from the stand.

After all this was completed I purchased "T" Track from either Lee Valley or Rockler and installed the three tracks (two for the fence and one for a miter head). The fence is made from MDF with a built in vac attachment. I have photos and drawings I can send if you’re interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X