X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Unisaw or not, that is the question

I am seriously thinking of pulling the pin and getting a new Unisaw before years end. Its on sale at Rockler and Woodcraft at roughly 10% off and there is also the Woodworking show in Baltimore coming up in about 10 days where I could probably pick one up at a good price if I called Skarie or one of the others displaying at the show and made arrangements ahead of time. Then I could get it loaded on my truck and not have to take a day off from work to accept delivery at home.

That would mean my TS-3650 would have to go along with the outfeed table I built for it. My shop does not have room for both.

I know I could probably do most everything I need to with TS-3650, but I would really like to have the Unisaw and know I have a saw that will last me forever and with 3HP be able to handle anything I might throw at it.

So there is the possibility that my TS-3650 will be available soon if anyone in the area is looking for one. Or it might be another few months, but sooner or later I am getting the new Unisaw.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: To Unisaw or not, that is the question

Well, to my suprise, Skarie may not be at the Woodworking Show in Baltimore this year (or EVER again). I just checked their web site to get a phone number to call them tomorrow and talk about a Unisaw and found this;
    Recently Skarie, Inc. acquired the MultiCam Northeast Technology Center. We now cover Maine thru Virginia for MultiCam. Because of this there are several changes at Skarie, Inc. The most significant is that the name has changed to MultiCam East.

We also decided that after 60+ years we will no longer stock and sell retail many of the items we previously sold. These include portable power tools like Porter Cable, Festool and DeWalt. Stationary equipment from Delta, Jet, Steel City and General. Also all hand tools, abrasive belts, abrasive discs, sandpaper sheets, circular saw blades, bandsaw blades, drill bits, Forstner bits, countersinks, router bits, machine accessories, screws, etc. All items have marked for clearance at tremendous discounts. Many items are being sold at or below our cost. This is an excellent opportunity for you to stock up on supplies or power tools or purchase that stationary machine that you have been putting off buying. All sales are final and cash and carry. All items are sold on a first come first serve basis. We will continue to sell Fein and SawStop in addition to MultiCam and MultiCam related items.

Sincerely,

Carmel G. Kelly
    MultiCam East

So tomorrow I will call them and see what they have left. Maybe they have a Unisaw and I can make a good deal and drive down and pick it up. Its only a few miles further than the Woodworking Show location.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    ---------
    ---------

Comment

I will say a little prayer for you tonight that they have a Uni in stock with your name on it that's ready to be clearanced out. And...............I'll be super jealous when you take delivery.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good luck on the saw.

On another note, it is sad that another tool seller is changing business models. Over the last couple of years there has been one supplier that has closed, one that has drastically reduced inventory (and brands carried) and one that seems to be on the verge of closing in Portland. Perhaps the new year will bring a bit more prosperity to many of these long-term locally/family owned businesses.

On yet another note, I thought you were dead set on getting a Sawstop

Comment

Just called Skarie. Looks like I am way late on this close out sale. The person I talked to said it started back in May. I told him if I had known I would have been down there in a heart beat and bought a number of items. He said everything is pretty much gone. All they are carrying now is SawStop saws. They will be at the Woodworking Show this coming January but not have much with them.

So now I have to think about buying from my local Woodcraft or from Rockler or find another local dealer which I don't believe there are any within 40 miles.
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Bob, sorry to hear that you missed out on a clearance priced Uni. I don't know about Rockler but in the past my local Woodcraft has had advanced notice sometimes about future sales that were coming up. When I purchased my Rikon bandsaw they told me that if I waited a couple of months I could get it cheaper than the current price. Might be worth asking your local store if they know about any upcoming Delta promos.

BTW, good on you for at least trying to go the local purchase route first.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Skarie is not really that local to me. I am in NJ and they are in Baltimore, but I have bought from them many times at the Woodworking show held in Baltimore every January.

When I talked to Rockler on the phone they claimed they did not know when the sale offer would end, and they never mentioned the free router offer from Delta. But when you read the rebate form it does not matter where you buy the saw, the free router is yours if you send in the paperwork before 1/31/2011.

I just got back from the not so local Woodcraft store (32 miles distant)
              and pulled the plug on the Delta 36-L336 Unisaw made in the USA. They told me the discount is from the manufacturer and it ends Dec 31, 2010. There is also a rebate in the form of the new PC mini router kit with fixed and plunge bases. Send in your box top and they send you a router kit which retails for $199.

So I guess I will not be at the Woodworking Show this year, my equipment budget is spent for the next two years. But this will be the last table saw I ever buy.

I noticed that they did not have any table saws in the store except for the SawStop. I think this liability issue has got everybody running scared. They are even afraid to sell a table saw if it does not have the SawStop technology in it I think. Somehow they are afraid that a jury will find them guilty for having one on the floor to entice someone into buying a saw w/o the SawStop feature. That's my guess, not anything anyone there said. Its just the way I see it going. Skarie told me they are selling nothing but the SawStop saws from here out. Next thing ya know you will have to show proof of age to buy a table saw that doesn't have SawStop technology in it. Goss and SawStop have won, they have scared everyone from using anything but their saw. I noticed they had a big stack of replacement SawStop cartridges in Woodcraft. They are less than I thought but still expensive. $89 for the cartridge plus you will most likely have to replace your blade so there is another $100 or more. Those misfires can sure be expensive, but so is losing a finger or two.

So now the 3650 must go. Time to make way for the new table saw. I have to run 220 over to this area of the shop now but that won't be too difficult.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 12-29-2010, 03:30 PM.
              ---------------
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

congratulations on the new saw. may it give you many hours of troublefree use. personally, i am looking forward to seeing how you trick this one out. hopefully, there will be some new ideas i can copy, like so many of us did with the 3650 outfeed table. any chance for a pictoral review of the assembly of the new unisaw?
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Nice going Bob, you earned this;

YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Color me green with envy.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    congratulations on the new saw. may it give you many hours of troublefree use. personally, i am looking forward to seeing how you trick this one out. hopefully, there will be some new ideas i can copy, like so many of us did with the 3650 outfeed table. any chance for a pictoral review of the assembly of the new unisaw?
                    An outfeed table is the first order of business, but I won't rush into it so don't expect anything in the next few days. Took me a year of thinking and looking what others had done to come up with my mounting solution for the TS-3650. I still have to get 220 to the saw from the breaker panel. I ahev the material, but not the time at present.

The Unisaw should not be as difficult to add an outfeed table to. I am leaning toward a fold-down table like I did for the 3650, as it will allow some more room behind the saw if I need it for something down the road. I want a minimum of 4.5 feet of table behind the blade this time. Last time I had just a tad over 48". I'd like to make the outfeed table wider, but if I do it might cramp use of other tools. If I make it wider it will be to the left when viewed from the front or operating position of the saw. That's one thing I should have done on the 3650 table, made it as wide as the saw table was to the left of the blade.

I will also be thinking about a router table which I would hang off the right end as I did on my last saw. Since I got the 36" and not the 52" fence, I should have room in my shop to add the router table on the right.

Under the included extension table on the RH side is the included storage drawer. A nice idea but I could certainly use more storage space for TS accessories. Items like a tenon jig, push sticks, cutoff fence dado blade set will not fit in the Delta storage drawer, so they need to go somewhere. Right now those items are scattered around the shop and if I could bring them together in one storage location next to the saw that would be great. I will look at adding two or three drawers below the current drawer.

I will try to remember to take photos as I go along with assembly. And I'll start a new thread where I will post them and my comments on assembly as well as what ever I come up with for an outfeed table and router table.

And along the way I welcome everyones' ideas and comments on tricking this machine out.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-18-2011, 10:08 PM.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Working...
                    X