X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Spray Booth

Anybody heard of, seen plans for, or have suggestions for a portable spray booth? We've been thinking about one that could be easily knocked down and set up in the basement or parking garage of commercial buildings for refinishing doors, desks, etc. Maybe could be mounted on a trailer and used in a parking lot as well.
    Thinking about explosion proof fan with large, long collapsible tubing to exhaust outside. Any suggestions?

------------------
    "You are a creative problem solver"
    - Mark, www.mybldg.com

Several years ago Model Railroader magazine ran an article on how to build a hobby sized paint booth. The information used in this article should apply regardless of size.

The key factor here is how they figured air flow to determine the size required for the exhaust. This is very important for any size paint booth, another key factor is make-up air, which if your working outside will have to be filtered or you'll have a dust problem even on the calmest of days, working inside depending on how much air your moving may or may not require a filter.

I built my own and soon discovered that with my wife's super nose I had to increase my duct size from 4" to 5". This made a huge difference. My air flow more than doubled, and now the paint booth will almost pull a vaccum on our house, I have to open a window somewhere in the house to provide enough make-up air to avoid causing other problems. Model Railroaders parent company recently started a new web site www.trains.com which I think will get you a link to MR, if you are unsuccessful try www.modelrailroader.com either way once you get there look for a link to ????index (something index), this will get you to a search of all the model railroading type magazines. You should be able to type in paint booth and you'll get all articles covered, then you just need to see if you can get a copy of the article off of the web site, I've never tried that since I have most of the mag's back to the late 70's.

Whatever you do the most important factor is AIRFLOW, good luck.
    Dave
    It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks for the info. I'll try your links.
      Mark

Comment

Re: Portable Spray Booth

Hey guys,

I have a relatively close relationship with col-met, and if you have any specific specs I can present it to them about the portable spraybooth, we are actually a seller of their products online and carry all sorts of wood finishing booths and equipment. If i can help you guys get a product designed tailored to your needs let me know and I will talk to my contacts there to see if they are interested in making it.
        We Have Spray Paint Booth Filters for all types of Industrial, Wood Working and Auto Body Spray Booths. We also sell Industrial Spray Booths, Wood Finishing Paint Booths and All Parts/Accessories.

PM Me and I will hook you up with a nice discount

Manolo At your services,
        www.sprayboothsupplies.com

Comment

ahhhh spam at it's finest
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Heh, im from Mexico City! Wasnt trying to spam just trying to help if I can in any way, saw a request for something and if i can hook them up I will def try as much as i can.
            We Have Spray Paint Booth Filters for all types of Industrial, Wood Working and Auto Body Spray Booths. We also sell Industrial Spray Booths, Wood Finishing Paint Booths and All Parts/Accessories.

Manolo At your services,

Comment

It depends on what you are spraying. A booth for spraying non-combustable materials only is less expensive and easier to build. If you are spraying lacquer, shellac, oil stains or paints, adhesives, or any other flammable, combustible or hazardous products, all switches, motors lights etc must be non sparking or isolated from the air stream.

If you google 'portable spray booth' you will find some links and ideas.

I have seen one booth made of PVC pipe (not glued, just press fit together) and plastic sheets with weights in the bottom. The end had a fan/filter unit to trap the overspray.

Bill

Comment

Bill, is this the spray booth you mentioned?

BTW, anyone else notice that the OP started this thread over 7 years ago? Talk about bringing the dead back to life.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

wow dave no i did not, i didn't even know that this forun was even around 7 years ago.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    Bill, is this the spray booth you mentioned?

BTW, anyone else notice that the OP started this thread over 7 years ago? Talk about bringing the dead back to life.
                    Ive read on some forms some guys making a makeshift portable one out of the type of material pegboard is made but without the holes, they were going to post some pictures this weekend. I will try to find the link.

Manolo At your services,

Comment

Hello Dave

That looks very similar to what I saw.

Late model fans usually have brushless (as opposed to universal motors for operation on AC or DC) motors so they might be OK. I have also seen belt driven fans driven by a motor that is outside the air stream in a separate compartment in the fan box.

I would be very concerned about a home insurance policy if an unlicensed spray booth caused a fire. Of course, any spray equipment or use of volitile chemicals used in the home shop could void a policy. Insurance companies look for any excuse to not pay off a claim.

For someone that occasionally needs a spray booth, could you rent time in a local commercial booth?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X