X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop built table saw upgrade TS3650

I have a Ridgid TS3650 which I'm sure many of you guys know is/was the best deal going for a contractor's style table saw for a few years (maybe ever). It is a real shame that they have been discontinued and replaced with a different version which now carries the Craftsman, Porter-Cable and Ridgid brand names.

The TS3650s weak point is dust collection so I closed in the bottom with some OSB and a 4" dust collector fitting similar to these;

Sheet metal
    http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/images2/818cl2.jpg

1/4" plywood
    http://photos.ganzhorn.org/albums/al...4691.sized.jpg

My wife also cut out some card board panels to close the opening on the back of the saw around the motor which are held in place with strip magnets found at any Wal-Mart or craft store (photo below). The cardboard can be removed when I crank the blade over to make bevel cuts.
    ----------------------

The stock fence is a pretty good one but I wanted to make cleaner cuts to 4'X8' sheet goods so I upgraded the fence and table. I purchased a used Xacta fence from a guy on Craigslist for $147.00, drilled a couple holes and bolted the new/used fence to my saw. I then built a rolling platform for the saw out of a sheet of OSB, some miscellaneous 1"x and 2x"s some Uni-Strut (Super-Strut) and a piece of 1/4" mild steel plate I had laying around. The wheels are from Harbor Freight.

To support the enlarged fence I also built a quick cabinet out of OSB and put a plywood top on it. The framing for the top was "2X4"s bolted to the saw's table and supported by the cabinet. I covered the plywood top with Masonite for a smooth work area and the Masonite is easily and cheaply replaceable when it gets beat up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a photo of this project already on the forum in this thread http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34023 and the information of where I found the Ridgid stickers I used for my cabinet from a fellow member of this forum.

I thought I would post this thread up here with a bit more information and some more detailed photos.

I can not say enough about how much I like my Ridgid Tablesaw, it is such a high quality tool. I also think it needs mention that the upgraded fence ( Biesemeyer clone) is quite an upgrade. I noticed the improvement in my work within the first dozen or so cuts.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Abbott; 12-31-2010, 11:05 PM.

Re: Shop built table saw upgrade TS3650

That is some really nice custom work! Fantastic job! I love the Ridgid orange in my shop and you really did a great job complimenting the good look of your TS3650!

Comment

A nice large work surface and upgraded fence plus all the storage and mobility. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I am sure it will inspire others.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Great job with that...what a nice setup. Looks like you've got a CMT P10050 or Infinity Combomax blade on it?

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Great job with that...what a nice setup. Looks like you've got a CMT P10050 or Infinity Combomax blade on it?

Hewood -

I've always appreciated you sharing your vast knowledge of blades with this forum, but now I'm really impressed. Out of the 100's of 10" blades on the market you narrow it down to two blades based on maybe an 1" of exposure? I've never doubted your opinion on blades and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            Looks like you've got a CMT P10050
            Yes, it's an inexpensive all-purpose blade that does a surprisingly good job. They are available at Lowe's for $40.00-$50.00.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
              Hewood -

I've always appreciated you sharing your vast knowledge of blades with this forum, but now I'm really impressed. Out of the 100's of 10" blades on the market you narrow it down to two blades based on maybe an 1" of exposure? I've never doubted your opinion on blades and never will.
              Thanks...I'll go out on a limb and guess that the one in your avatar looks to be a Freud? ...probably from the former Avanti series, making it a TK906 50T ATB/R? Craftsman Pro offers a version of pretty much the same blade though (made by Freud), and it could also be a Freud LU84M010.
              Last edited by hewood; 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Nice job on the upgrade, the orange cabinet looks fantastic.

Cheers
                Glen

Here's my saw cabinet with the 4516.
                Attached Files

Comment

miter gauge slots?

Comment

I haven't needed them yet. When and if I do I will cut them in with a straight edge and a router.

Comment

I got a good deal on a BC50 Biesemeyer Fence last fall but I haven't gotten around to installing it until now. I'm planning to make my 3650 into a workcenter like the plans in
                      ShopNotes

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                      To support the enlarged fence I also built a quick cabinet out of OSB and put a plywood top on it. The framing for the top was "2X4"s bolted to the saw's table and supported by the cabinet
                      Do you have any pic's of how you attached the new top to the saw's table top!

Comment

I almost forgot to mention, Great Workmanship There Abbott!

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                        the stock fence is a pretty good one but I wanted to make cleaner cuts to 4'X8' sheet goods so I upgraded the fence and table.
                        That's one of my reasons also, But it helped that I was able to get the BC50 fence for $200!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwall174 View Post
                          I got a good deal on a BC50 Biesemeyer Fence last fall but I haven't gotten around to installing it until now. I'm planning to make my 3650 into a workcenter like the plans in
                          ShopNotes

Do you have any pic's of how you attached the new top to the saw's table top!
                          I drilled holes into the side of the table (and through the wood) and bolted the pieces to the table with 1/4" bolts. I left the framing members down low enough so that my table top would finish flush to the saw's top.

Comment

Working...
                          X