Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Valley Veritas Plane

Hey guys,

I have a question about hand planer's. I am looking at the Veritas planer's sold by Lee Valley.

I have a 13" thickness planer but am looking for a hand plane that I can use to plane the joining edges of larger laminate projects (I hope this makes sense). For example, if I need to make a project that requires a 24" laminate hardwood top, I would put a 13" laminated piece of wood through my thickness planer, then a 11" piece through and later I would laminate the 2 pieces together and hand plane the part where the 2 pieces meet up.

I was looking at getting the Veritas #4 smooth plane. Am I even looking at the right plane for this job? If not, can you please provide input on the proper Veritas plane (I only say Veritas because it is available to me) Any input from you experts would be much appreciated! Also, I should add that I would prefer to stick with getting just one plane, considering the $$$

Cheers,

Adam
    Last edited by cormier33; 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM.

Re: Lee Valley Veritas Plane

Do you have a joiner? That would be the best bet. If not, buy the longest hand plane you can. The longer the plane, the straighter the cut. If you are not used to a hand plane, I strongly suggest you practice, practice, practice before you start on a piece of wood you want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Do you have a joiner? That would be the best bet. If not, buy the longest hand plane you can. The longer the plane, the straighter the cut. If you are not used to a hand plane, I strongly suggest you practice, practice, practice before you start on a piece of wood you want to use.
      Thanks for the reply Pipestone,

I don't have a joiner. But, I am confused. How could a joiner handle a 24" piece of laminated wood? Are the fences removable? I have used joiners years and years ago but I just remember using them on sticks of lumber 8" or less in width or just on the ends prior to laminating.

Comment

I just realized there may have been some confusion due to my explanation. I would be planing the horizontal sides of the 24" top (joining the already laminated 13" and 11" pieces), not the vertical sides of each separate laminated piece. I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do.

Comment

You could use a smoother for a 24" piece, but I would use a #5 (jack) or longer.

Curious how you are flattening your 13" and 11" pieces without a hand plane or jointer? And how you are getting an edge that is 90 degrees to those face prior to glue up?

Comment

I recently bought the Veritas Low Angle Jack plane. I think that may be something for you to consider. Just by changing the iron, you can address any reversing grain issues, etc. When I bought mine, I got all three irons (25, 38 and 50 degree bevels ) which in essence gives you three planes (37 degree effective angle, 50 degree, and 62 degree).

I have found the 50 degree effective angle (York pitch) works quite well on all but gnarly white oak and knotty maples, where the higher degree works great. If the grain is straight and all running the same direction, the low angle iron (the one that comes with plane) is really a joy that can whisk up 1/2 thousandth shavings.

I bought the A2 irons, and they are really good. Not too difficult to sharpen but definitely hold an edge longer, especially on rock maple and white oak.

As the Low Angle smoother and jack cost the same, and the irons are interchangeable, I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

The downside is the 2 1/4" irons won't fit any of the conventional Stanley/Bailey style planes, including Lee Valley's. However, they will fit all the Low-angle Veritas Bench planes, including the jointer if you go that large. The Jack and Smoother are 1/4" wider than the Stanley/Bailey design, heavier and a bit longer. The Jack is 1/8" narrower than the SB.

The plane is very well machined and is a pleasure to use. I now use this Jack as my smoother, and also as a jointer.

All that said, if you are just matching up a slight difference in the two surfaces at the joint, a card scraper may be all you need.

JMTCW

Go
            Last edited by Gofor; 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Glad you explained. I thought you were going to plane the two surfaces you wanted to glue together. I agree with GOFOR.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen,

tomapple, I have been using a combination of my 13" thickness planer and my table saw to ensure my edges are 90. I know it may not be the best route, but it has been working not too bad.

Thanks for the recommendation Gofor, I do like the idea of combining three blades with one planer, will certainly cut down on my costs. I think I will go that route.

You guys have all been very helpful. Cheers.

Comment

Not to put Lee Valley down although i dont think their service is the same as it once was. This is only my humble opionion with my own person experiences. As well I find that their hand planes are okay but when i started looking and buying the lie neilson planes I could not believe the difference. Sure they are more expensive but when i test for flatness on the sole or squareness to the side of the plane , the planes that need to be square,i find that lee valley planes fall short. This has not been the case with the Lei neilson planes. I really recomend saving a few more dollars and buying the best.

Comment

A #4 smoother should work fine, but if given a choice, I'd do it with a bigger plane like a #5 or 5-1/2 jack plane, or a #6 foreplane. I've never ventured into the highend Veritas or Lie Nielsen, but have gotten some excellent service from some older Stanley Bedrocks, Baileys, Record, and Millers Falls planes. Nice examples of most of these can be had in the $40-$50 range.

Comment

unless your glue up is a disaster, one may want to consider a scraper or a scraper plane,

and especially if your boards are laminated with different grain patterns,

they are great for odd grained woods,

no the amount they remove is very minuscule but you can blend in a large area easly, and not tear out grain, (round the edge of the scraper a tad) and it works well IMO,
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BHD; 04-24-2011, 02:40 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                      X