X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut non-ferrous on a TS?

This may sound like a stupid question but, I am involved with a high school robotics team and was wondering if a 2424 could be used to *SAFELY*, and without damage to the saw, cut aluminum sheet 1/8" - 1/4" inch thick. I've seen blades for non-ferrous materials but don't know if they could be used on a woodworking saw. Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Henry

Works fine, actually.

A couple heads-ups:
    The chips are HOT! Wearing gloves is forbidden of course, but tight long sleeves ain't a bad idea.

If you are going to cut a bunch, I would pop for an inexpensive non-ferrous metals blade. For a very small amount, a regular carbide woodworking blade works fine.

The chips are HOT! Clean out any sawdust ahead of time, and clean up right after. Few things suck more than a shop fire that starts after you leave. If the shop is attached to the house, that sucks more.

Other than that, no biggie. Cutting aluminum seems to make a little more noise than wood to me, but hearing protection should be in use anyway.

Dave
    (did I mention the chips are HOT!? )

Comment

Dave,

I'll make sure to do this out on my driveway with the ear muffs on. Thanks, and oh by the way, do you think the chips will be HOT? I think I read that somewhere on a woodworking forum can't remember where

Comment

That should work pretty well, Henry.

Oh, by the way. The chips will be HOT!, be prepared.

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X