X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Bit Speed

I'm curious for those of you familiar with routing operations. I was doing some under-table routing and noticed my profile looked sloppy. I check my router (1617EVS) and the variable speed knob was on 5. This, I later found out, is probably too slow a speed for any operation to include big bit use.

The question is how do you all determine (or eyeball) router speed. The only thing I can think of is the lowest number equals the lowest number on the knob and vice versa for the highest. I didn't see anything in the manual giving approximate speeds for the router.

While this may not appear to be too problematic for 3/4" type bits by just coming off the high speed a little, if I ever get into panel raising bits, it appears I'll need to be able to fine-tune the speed accordingly.

Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

I think you just have to interpolate. If your router specs say that it goes from 5000RPM to 22000RPM and your adjustment knob is marked from 1 to 6, then 1 is 5000RPM and 6 is 22000RPM and 3.5 is 13500RPM and so forth. About the only way I know.

gator

Comment

Gator is absolutely correct. Some brands of router bits will actually give you the recommended speed for their bit for optimum performance. I use a lot of Freud bits and they do give you the speed. If you do some homework you will find a chart in one of the woodworking magazines that give you recommended speeds. You definitely need to reduce the speed to the lowest for panel cutting or at best you will smoke the wood and at worst you will smoke the router. You need some horsepower (3hp+) to do panel cutting of any quantity.
      Have fun.

Comment

Patrick, this site contains recommended speeds for various diameter bits:
        http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/tutorial-suggestions.asp

Bob R

Comment

I am not familure with the Bosch Router.

However, Bit sharpness and a variety of other factors including wood density and grain structure dictate bit speed.

I suggest some scrap pieces using feather boards, auxillary fences and guides and playing with bit speed. There is a fine line between bit chatter, burning, and a clean cut; and that is what your looking for, (along with feed rate) by determaning speed and the size of the bite of wood being taken.

It's typical to associate the diameter of the bit to the numbers on the speed control. 2 1/2" as max bit dia. equals 1 (slowest), and 1/2" and under to the number 5 (fastest)...as a starting point...for edge work.

As coming around to plowing out grooves, dado's, etc. the depth will play factors vs width as well. Routing is not a book tought procedure, but a book can set you on a path to experience. And that is the path, experience.

The learning curve is shallow and long, focus and uninterupted working will sharpen the curve, and lessen the time.

Now make a big mess and dull some bits, and enjoy the heck out of it. Then produce something worth while. You'll never regret a speck of dust created.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Bosch has a manual for 1617evs on-line. In that one, the speed setting chart is on page 16 (it also includes an "application" secion that won't format up right here):

DIAL SETTING - RPM
            1 - 8,000
            2 - 13,500
            3 - 16,500
            4 - 20,000
            5 - 21,500
            6 - 25,000

The basic idea is, the larger the diameter of the bit, the slower the speed. Panel raisers that are 3+ inches in diameter get the slowest speed. If you then get cut marks, either the bit has a problem or you're feeding too fast.

Bosch USA is at http://www.boschtools.com , the on-line manual is accessed by picking the tool, then following a link. The direct link is scarey in length, but might work: Bosch 1617evs manual .

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X