Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Yet Another 3650 Arbor Thread (With happy ending) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yet Another 3650 Arbor Thread (With happy ending)

    Replaced the arbor yesterday. Went Very smoothly right up until what I like to call the "bearing incident."

    BTW... Not sure if anyone else posted it (maybe I just didn't read closely enough) but to get the arbor out it, and leaving the assembly in the table, tilting the blade assembly 45 degree gives you plenty of room to wack out the old arbor.

    Oh... And if someone knows a better way to get the key out of the arbor, let me know. I just used a vice grip and wobbled it out.

    Anyway... I pretty much destroyed the inner bearing trying to remove it from the shaft. So... went out to Lowes to look for bearings.

    Lowes had several to choose from but none seemed to be an EXACT match. The original bearing was a 6202NSW (i think it was NSW) and the only 6202 they had at Lowes was a 6202ZZ. At first I thougt the difference between the orginal and the ZZ was the material that was used to encapsulate the bearings. The ZZ was all metal and the original was plastic. There was also another bearing (I have the number in the garage if anyone is interested) that was almost identical in size AND had the plastic bearing covers. so... I bought two of each and headed home to play with my calipers.

    The 6202ZZ was spot on for thickness and OD. The ID was WAY to small. Dangit!!!! The other one. Was maybe 1/1000th off on OD, right on for thickness and right on for ID.

    After trial and error I learned the hard way that the inner bearing REALLY needs to be installed on the shaft before trying to install the whole dang thing. So... I do not have a vise in this garage so I took three 2x4 and drilled holes through them and pounded the arbor onto the bearing. Once in place it tapped right in. Took a little machismo with a small block of wood and hand held sledge. But it went. Thankfully one knuckle and one bearing were to only casualties of the day. =)

    The only issue with the new bearing is that it was not a "snug" fit into the assembly. It did not wobble or anything, it just was nowhere near as tight as the original. Although... I did not check to see how tight the original was BEFORE destroying it. So that would be my advise to everyone... Once you get that bad boy out see how tightly it fits back in. Mine may have been overly tight because I had damaged it too much.

    After reassembly and putting everything back where it should be the blade lined up just about where it had been before the replacement. There seems to be no slop what-so-ever.

    I even tried out my new Delta Tennoning Jig on it after the replacement and it worked VERY well.

    I am glad that Ridgid replaced the arbor with little hassel. But I also think they should have sent a set of bearing out with it. I am sure that if you take it to the "authorized service center" they don't even monkey with the old bearing. They probably just replace it. I think the bearing cost me about $10.

    anyway... Good luck to everyone that has yet to do the replacement. Not so bad of a procedure. Just take a little time, patience, and a heavy hammer.

    Right now I am still debating about just buying the "actual" arbor from Ridgid Parts. But... I am going to play around with the saw and see how things go. So far I have not heard any bad noises from the machine.

  • #2
    Also should have mentioned that before putting the bearings on the shaft and putting the shaft into the assembly I sprayed the parts with some white lithium grease. Made life so much better. =)

    Comment


    • #3
      Doctor -
      Got a replacement arbor absolutely no hassle from customer service. I didn't even have my serial number when I called (I did however register online). The arbor showed up about 1 week later, but I haven't had the time to replace it yet. After reading through your post, I'm going to really think it through as not to damage anything that isn't easily replaced. I thought I read in one of the other arbor posts where someone had posted some pretty detailed instructions on how to replace the arbor (I need to try and find that again). Thanks for the tips.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm stupid. I put "actual arbor" in my first post and I meant "actual bearing."

        It wasn't tough to do. The bearing was the hardest part for me as I did not have a good vice or a gear puller that would fit it.

        No harder than prying callipers off of an '85 Chevy. =)

        This may be one of the threads you are talking about
        arbor instructions

        Comment


        • #5
          Fortunatley , The arbor on my saw(ts3650) is one of the good ones, I never get this lucky! I bought it about five months ago and love it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

          [ 02-01-2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Thirsty ]
          -Thirsty

          Comment

          Working...
          X