Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back. I just picked me up the 14" Ridgid Band Saw at HD yesterday. Assembled it and have not had time to tune her up yet. Some very good points in here for a first time band saw owner and user.

I decided to make the leap because I want to make some adirondack chairs for our new house and a bandsaw is the only way I see fit to make a good curved cut.

Next on my list is the Ridgid Drill press.

So for my question, where can i get these "cool blocks"?

Eric

Comment

Some Home Depot locations carry them. I would hope with the changes taking place more accessories will be regularly handled by HD. Otherwise, you have to order them from Ridgid if you want the Ridgid brand. I believe they are of common size; 1/2" square x 1" long, should be able to pick them up a any woodworkers outlet.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Thanks for the update. My local stores don't seem to carry much of anything in the way of accessories and the website to order Ridgud Tools sucks. I could not get the herculift and zero-clearence inserts ordered and had to make the phone call to get them ordered. They did arrive 2 days later though. But still, I would have rather ordered online. I will get some ordered.

Thanks for the thread, because it has helped me to get my band saw up and running in just a few minutes after reading all the questions you put out there. I for one say, THANKS. Cut my first circle today, 2.25" diameter and it went well. A lot of cuts did the trick. Now I just need to get me that Ryobi (I know, shoot me but it is a good deal for under $100) oscillating spindle sander to make my circular cuts look even better.

Eric

Comment

got my herculift put together today but they sent me a wrong size tube and I had to cut it down to size and drill a hole through it to work. No biggy since I have access to a machine shop at work anytime I want but I thought it was weird seeing how the length piece they sent is not a length used at all in the system. Maybe a goof on the line or something.

It was nice moving that big thing out of my way.

ERic

Comment

Like my Herculift a lot. Thinking of buying another one to install on my Craftsman table saw.
            Question I thought I had posted from work,
            How to adjust(rotate)the table horizontally a bit so the blade is perpendicular to the mitre guage?

Everything is aligned according to the book but can't quite cut square.

Comment

Originally posted by wizkid:
              I am back. I just picked me up the 14" Ridgid Band Saw at HD yesterday. Assembled it and have not had time to tune her up yet. Some very good points in here for a first time band saw owner and user.

Yes. It is very neat how much good information you can get out of this Ridgid forum!

Next on my list is the Ridgid Drill press.

So for my question, where can i get these "cool blocks"?

Drill Press. Grunt grunt... (sorry, a Tim Allen moment there...)

I don't have the Ridgid drill press yet, though I would very much like one... Unfortunately I think first on my list pretty much is the Ridgid Dust Collector. A tip from the Band Saw Book - it said that the bandsaw will create the most harmful type of dust from anything in your shop, so at LEAST attaching a shop vac to the dust collection port is a good idea. Perhaps a mask as well, though they drive me nuts... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of the book, a couple more tips. First and foremost, just about the best piece of advice I got was to go find a copy of the Bandsaw Book and buy or check it out from your local library. It was an AMAZING resource for me as a new bandsaw owner/operator.

One tip from it is that the cool blocks are really unnecessary. Basically, it said that the heat created from the blade rubbing against the blocks is really no big deal. Read the book for more details.

Second tip, and this was a HUGE help for me. If you are going to be using any small blades - say 1/16, 1/8, or 3/16 - make a set of replacement guide blocks (upper and lower) out of some hardwood. Then adjust them forward so they completely surround the blade. And push them in so they are pretty much touching the blade. The blade will cut a path in the blocks for a teeth and the blade will stay in place MUCH better then with regular guide blocks.

The difference is spectacular. Increases the usability for my by a factor of probably 1000%.

Anyhow, that is all I have to say except I am drooling over your hurk-u-lift system as well! I haven't been able to afford going out and getting one yet, and there is actually a set available at my local store!

Soon, hopefully. Glad this thread was useful for you...

Comment

Working...
              X