X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press belt sqeals

My Ridgid drill press drive belt sqeals. I've checked the alignment of the pulleys.
    The front two are perfect, the back one, the one on the motor is at a slight angle and this is the one making all the noise. Could I have the tension too tight?
    Or is it too loose, hence the drive pulley at an angle. Or is this slight angle normal?
    Could the bracket that holds the motor be bent?
    It is brand new, bought it 2 weeks ago, and I finally found time to play with it.

My Ryobi/Ridgid DP hasn't had any problems like this...(stirring the pot)
    Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

I don't own this particular drill press but on mine the pulleys are aligned and vertical. I would think that this should be the norm. Try backing off the tension a bit. I run mine with about 3/8"-1/2" of play.

Dave
      It's surprising how many people don't find it necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

MLE,

I too experienced the non alignment of the motor pully. Before I fired it up, I loosened the motor mount bolts, and inserted a washer between the mount and the motor bracket on the top bolts. The pully no longer tips forward.

I think all machines need personalized "tweeking". Everything is mass produced, little is perfect. Fact of life. And this drill press was a replacement for the first one I had which had a bearing installed improperly, causing case damage.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

"tweeking" with a couple of washers is a good idea. But too late, I returned it to HD last night. Wish I would of read your post before I did that, It would of saved me time and money I spent disassembling and driving into town.
          I decided to look at the Delta before getting a replacement. I didn't like the Delta as much as the Ridgid, so I go back into town this weekend and hope they have another Ridgid.
          Thanks for the tip, if the next one has the same problem at least I'll know what to do.
          Thanks again.

Comment

"tweeking" with a couple of washers is a good idea. But too late, I returned it to HD last night. Wish I would of read your post before I did that, It would of saved me time and money I spent disassembling and driving into town.
            I decided to look at the Delta before getting a replacement. I didn't like the Delta as much as the Ridgid, so I go back into town this weekend and hope they have another Ridgid.
            Thanks for the tip, if the next one has the same problem at least I'll know what to do.
            Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X