• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta sold again

Ran across this today:
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...72&rid=3220258

Re: Delta sold again

So that's why its taking so long for Bob to take delivery of his new UNI.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Supposedly production of the Unisaw is going to stay here in America. But it really stinks that the company is being sold to one outside the USA.

It feels like when AMF bought HD , only ten times worse.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So that's Delta --> Rockwell --> Pentair --> Stanley --> TTI, right? Where's Porter-Cable now? It was under Rockwell when I was designing tools there, and was part of the Rockwell --> Pentair package. Is it part of the B&D portion of Stanley? So hard to keep track of who's who anymore.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
          So that's Delta --> Rockwell --> Pentair --> Stanley --> TTI, right?.......
          Nope. It's Delta --> Rockwell --> Pentair --> Black and Decker --> Stanley --> and now TOTY. To the best of my knowledge TTI has no dog in this fight except that the new TOTY executives left jobs at TTI to go to TOTY.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if these buyouts are more about getting access to patents held by the target company than the company itself. A different type of corporate raiding so to speak.

So you'd like to put a Biesemeyer style fence on your own brand table saw but Delta won't license it to you [this is just an example], or maybe they hold some other patent that you don't want to wait for the rights to run out on. You buy them up then make whatever arrangements between the step-child companies to share secrets, patents, manufacturing processes, and so much more. Then when you have picked the vault clean of all its secrets you cut them loose and sell them off to someone else.

Sounds like it will be even tougher to find American iron in the future, unless you go for old iron.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

“Until further notice, nothing will change with ordering product, freight terms, pricing, product availability, service parts, etc. For the short term, it will be business as usual,”

yeah, RIGHT!

Fully operational by April in the new facility?....that's a pretty quick turn around.

Where is Delta based now?

Comment

Currenlty based in Tennessee

Comment

Well actually the "new" facility is an existing facility that a few years ago was a manufacturer of boats, I believe. (There's been several news releases in the past few days.) So, it may be a rather easy move and it's not clear whether machinery is going to be moved, along with certain key personnel, or what.

Also of interest (see my post "What's Up" in the Open Discussion area ( http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35819 ) is that one of the top exec's of TTI Group North America, is going to be the top dog at the new Delta company, and another ex-TTI exec is going to be the new Chief Operating Officer. And of course one can't completely overlook that the move is to Anderson, SC which is the home of TTI NA.

So at this point there doesn't appear to be a link between TTI and TOTY, other than executives, location, and product source history (but that's a lot). TOTY has been providing manufacturing to both TTI and Stanley Black and Decker, including certain brand names of both companies, like Ryobi and DeWalt. Also noted on the TOTY web site is that they make some products for Craftsman, including their radial arm saw.

TTI is based in Hong Kong and was founded in 1985 by British and Chinese partners. Chang Type Industries (TOTY) is based in Taiwan and was founded in 1989. IF I'm not mistaken, it was in the early to mid-90's when Emerson started transferring much of it's U.S. stationary woodworking tool manufacturing to Taiwan. Most, if not all of Emerson's "Ridgid" stationary "gray-colored" tools were produced in Taiwan from the late 90's until 2003, when TTI licensed the "Ridgid" name and introduced the new hand-held "orange" Ridgid tool line, as well as the existing stationary tool line.

If you read their Chairman's statement that is published on the Chang Type Industries (TOTY) web site, it is obvious that this company has been a major player, answering the call of U.S. tool manufacturer's objectives to move it's manufacturing "off-shore". http://www.toty.com.tw/english/01_co...statement.html

However, this Delta acquisition seems to be Chang Type Industries first venture into manufacturing something as large as the Delta Uni-Saw. From their web site, their main tools appear to be miter, band, scroll, and radial arm saws. They do motors and controls too.

I'm not sure how much I'd be concerned about Delta getting off-shored though; at least not at this point. Certainly that's a prospect, but it might be considered that this is an opportunity for TOTY to explore direct U.S. opportunities and after all, the UniSaw is an answer to the ever-increasing number of woodworkers who are screaming for a "domestic" high-quality product.

If there's any connection at all between TOTY and TTI, it could also be an answer to "Ridgid" brand's need for a quality large contractor saw too, like the old 3650. Probably nothing on the scale of the Delta UniSaw, but certainly the brand and expertise in this market would work well, should neighboring TTI want to joint venture such a product.

It will be interesting to watch what unfolds here,

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 01-13-2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

When Woodcraft delivered my Unisaw the other day I asked about the pending sale of Delta. He said that there was a good chance that ALL Delta production would go overseas or be shut down altogether under B&D. He said it is a good thing for the future of Delta that they were sold. Jobs will stay at the Tennessee factory and they have a better chance of putting out some new or improved machines.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

That makes sense to me. I also think that the new owners may just be gearing the Delta line to be one of higher quality tools. I don't think its just a coincidence that the junky Shopmaster line of Delta tools was rebadged to the Porter Cable brand prior to this sale. I don't think the new owners wanted anything to do with that part of the Delta line. Just my .02¢.

Comment

Its my understanding that for now the Unisaw will remain in Tenn. and they have built up a supply of the newest Uni's to handle any sales for the forseeable future. But they do intend eventually to move that facility and others to the new plant in S.C. I think this bodes well for the company and would hope that in the future we will see better machines coming from Delta/TOTY

Comment

Working...
                        X