X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door closing on its own

I have an office with a wooden door and its keeps closing on its own?the other office doors don't close like this one does.

There is no door closer and its a commercial wooden door.Any idea why it would be doing this? and what would be the solution to fix this?

Thx in advance!

Re: Door closing on its own

The door jamb is a little out of plumb. (gravity does wonders) Cure--pull one of the hinge pins and put a slight bend in it. The friction will keep the door from swinging on it's own.

Comment

I would check the wall for plumb and or the jam,

Is there an air vent blowing on it?

one more thing are the hinges worn, some hings can wear with a taper that would possibly case a self closing situation.

and if there level/plumb and no drafts, and no defects, call the ghost busters.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post
        I have an office with a wooden door and its keeps closing on its own?the other office doors don't close like this one does.

There is no door closer and its a commercial wooden door.Any idea why it would be doing this? and what would be the solution to fix this?

Thx in advance!
        ghost hunters!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
          The door jamb is a little out of plumb. (gravity does wonders) Cure--pull one of the hinge pins and put a slight bend in it. The friction will keep the door from swinging on it's own.
          I also had a door with the same symptoms as the OP's. This morning I did what PK suggested and it worked like a charm, no more self opening door. Boy, them old guys sure know stuff don't they?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Boy, them old guys sure know stuff don't they?
            Yep...well, except where they left their keys or to zip up their fly ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
              Yep...well, except where they left their keys or to zip up their fly ROFL
              That's one good thing about winter. When you feel that cold draft where there shouldn't be one, you know you forgot to zip up.

Comment

Yea went there today and didn't notice air ducts close by and she tells me that it only happens in the winter months and its a steel door not a wooden one.

Couldn't try the bending hindge method but will try it tomorrow when I can get into to the office.

Thx

Comment

It is most likely sagging the Jamb maybe try longer screws that will bite the jack stud through the hinge.

Comment

If the jamb isn't too far out of plumb, you can slip some business card shims behind to bring the hinge line back closer to plumb.

If that doesn't work, you can chisel the mortise for one of them deeper. Easier than it sounds, only takes a few minutes.

Comment

I agree with Andy M.

Another easy check is to close the door and examine the spacing around all four sides [top,bottom, left ,right] you should normally observe equal spacing. If the spacing is off you now know the door is not plumb and you need to address it.

The credit card spacer trick behind one hinge is also a reasonably quick and reliable fix.

Tom Silva from ask this old house did a segment on this exact challenge.
                      You may want to search the TV show's website for the segment and watch it.

Cactus Man

Comment

Worked like a charm Guys!

Thx again much appreciated!

Comment

anyone try these yet?

http://www.thequickdoorhanger.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X