Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FREE R4512 or current R4511

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

    Simply load testing the threads is not an ideal test if there is a good chance there are cracks in a heat treated part. I realize that the load they were putting on the arbor threads should be significantly more than it would get in normal use, but just because it doesnt snap the first time at a given load does not mean it won't in the future.

    On my R4511 I did not give them the option of testing the arbor. When the guys came out to the house, I just told them to replace it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

      Originally posted by tomapple View Post
      Simply load testing the threads is not an ideal test if there is a good chance there are cracks in a heat treated part. I realize that the load they were putting on the arbor threads should be significantly more than it would get in normal use, but just because it doesnt snap the first time at a given load does not mean it won't in the future.

      On my R4511 I did not give them the option of testing the arbor. When the guys came out to the house, I just told them to replace it.
      I tried that. The guy drove 100 mi. He said the warranty covered testing as I described above. I,m 5"7", he was about 6'4", so decided wrestling him to shop floor and beating him into agreeing was not an option.

      What would you have done?

      Buck

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

        Originally posted by BuckB View Post
        I tried that. The guy drove 100 mi. He said the warranty covered testing as I described above. I,m 5"7", he was about 6'4", so decided wrestling him to shop floor and beating him into agreeing was not an option.

        What would you have done?

        Buck
        As I did...explain to them that the part is a very minor portion of the overall cost. They (Ridgid) are already out the trip cost as well as the labor to do the test. 10 or 15 more minutes or so to replace the arbor is no big deal. Replacing the arbor removes the chance of Ridgid being held responsible for a future incident involving the arbor defect. A half-assed stress test does not. Arbor snaps after they have done that test and very easy to argue that the test itself may have caused or aided the failure. Also, the recall notice stated to contact One World Technologies to schedule a free on-site repair. I held them to the repair.
        Last edited by tomapple; 01-22-2011, 12:04 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

          It was my understanding after talking to a factory rep that all of these saws that had the arbor problems had already been fixed. How could yours have not been is beyond me as they are all serial numbered and had to fall between certain dates of manufacturing. But thats a heck of a good deal for you to get 2 saws. But I would ditch the 4512, its junk compared to the 4511. Just my op

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

            Originally posted by Ralphyboy View Post
            It was my understanding after talking to a factory rep that all of these saws that had the arbor problems had already been fixed. How could yours have not been is beyond me as they are all serial numbered and had to fall between certain dates of manufacturing. But thats a heck of a good deal for you to get 2 saws. But I would ditch the 4512, its junk compared to the 4511. Just my op
            Yeah they checked my serial number and mine was in the last week of the effected build series with the "bad arbor". I stumbled across the recall by chance. I noticed they stopped making the 4511 already and was curious why it was so limited in production time. I wanted to know if it was getting a bad reputation or just that something bigger and better was coming along, or what. Well I stumbled across the recall about 3 days before my first dado blade set came in the mail and I was going to put it on a try it out. Lucky for me. I am going to take the new 4512 they're sending me to HD and use the credit to get the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer, which I've been dying to get for a couple of years now.
            The guy who did the work on my saw said the same thing. He said he was just supposed to load test it in the way you guys described, but he said since I had to go so far out of my way and tore the table saw down so far already, that he may as well just throw the new arbor shaft in there anyways, since he had it in hand. Ridgid sent the shaft so why not use it, it does the service shop no good since it fits a rare saw. So now my saw is fixed and now I have to put it back together and re-align everything again. The new 4512 and 12v drill/driver should be in wednesday. Thanks guys, take it easy.

            Comment

            Working...
            X