FREE R4512 or current R4511

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREE R4512 or current R4511

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not to Ridgid tools. I really could use some input and advice on something. About two years ago I purchased a new 4511 Granite top TS to replace my cheap little $150 Craftsman weekend warrior that was ticking me off. I got my 4511 set up with no problems and had no cracked or chip granite pieces. Then a few weeks ago I got a stacked dado blade set for the saw and by the grace of God I just coincidentally stumbled across the recall for it, literally days before I was about to install and use my new stack dado set. I have now spent the last 2 weeks with Ridgid, trying to get a service team out to do the work order modification on the arbor. After 2 weeks they could not find any of their reps willing to drive out to my house. I am stationed in the middle of nowhere in the desert. They have been great and really trying hard, but this morning when I called again to check up on it, they made me an offer. They are sending me, free of charge, a new 4512 shipped to my house AND a free $100 12v lithium ion cordless drill/driver and LED flashlight (model R92008), ALL at no charge. They are also sending me a prepaid shipping label to mail the motor assembly back at their expense. They said to strip down the 4511 as much as possible, granite and all, to lighten the weight for shipping. All they are really interested in getting is the motor/arbor shaft area. The HD website reviews are all 4 out of 5, and 5 out of 5 star reviews. BUT, when I looked on this forum, I see a lot of bashing on the new 4512, mostly just the hate of the thin steel wings and split rail. I am sure when this new 4512 comes in, if I don’t like it I can return it to the nearest HD, and get money for it OR, if I stuck to them I could make them fix it one way or another, such as mailing just the motor and arbor assembly to them and having them fix it and return it. My 4511 is fine, nothing is broken or chipped and all works great except the recall issue, which is important. And, I know if I keep the 4512 I can sell all my remaining parts for some good cash. What I need help from you all is advice. Should I keep the 4512 and sell of the remaining parts? Or is the 4511 better and get them to fix it one way or another? If you had your choice of a 4511 or a 4512, what would you take. I was planning on building a fully enclosed extension table system for my TS anyway (around both sides and the out feed side), in which I can just remove the cheaper steel wings if I don’t like them and build the new extension table up to the edge of the cast iron. Since they are letting me keep the entire granite top assembly, that I could get it to fit on top of the 4512 cabinet? And as far as the split rails, well both models have them, so either way I’m stuck with it. I could use some advice/recommendations from some of you more experienced guys. Thanks a lot for any and all help. P.S. What is the difference between a splitter/spreader on my 4511 and the “riving knife” on the 4512, people are bragging about the riving knife what is it? Thanks.

Re: FREE R4512 or current R4511

Obviously both saws are capable of cutting wood, but from what I've seen of these two saws, I always thought the R4511 was a superior design. Once setup with a good blade and aligned properly, the wood will never know which saw made the cut, but either the cabinet mounted trunnions or the solid wings of the R4511 would be enough for me to want that saw over the R4512. The fact that the R4511 has both of those advantages would leave me struggling to swap it for an R4512.

Because of the cabinet mounted trunnions on the R4511 vs the table mounted trunnions of the R4512, you won't be able to swap tops. At the very least, maybe you could convince them to round up some cast iron wings from a TS3650/3660 that you could fit to the R4512. Now, if they'd let you keep both saws, I'd take the R4512, have the R4511 arbor replaced, and sell the R4512 to pay for it. If they're willing to compensate you with cash for your R4511, you could always buy the Steel City 35990C or 35990G...pretty much the same saw as the R4511 ...$600/$680 shipped from Amazon.
    Last edited by hewood; 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM. Reason: deleted a poor suggestion....

Comment

Wow... nothing is easy, huh? I really like my R4511 and it was an upgrade from a piece of crap Craftsman like yours. Are you sure your R4511 was one involved in the recall? Seems like it was just a very limited number. If there was a way to keep the R4511, I'd do it. I think it's a much better saw... but that's just me

Comment

I gotta say it sure sounds like they are trying there best to satisfy you, but this being a recall maybe they have no choice.

What about this. Strip the motor and arbor out of your 4511 and they pay to ship it to where it can be fixed, then ship it back to you. You would have to do the remove and install, but if you were willing (maybe with some compensation on their part for your time), you would have the better of the two saws and the peace of mind to use a dado set on it.
        You were going to have to strip the motor and arbor anyway to send back to them, so why not do that so you can keep your current saw?
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          At the very least, maybe you could convince them to round up some cast iron wings from a TS3650/3660 that you could fit to the R4512.

There's always the chance that you'll have no issues with that arbor on the R4511....it was only a handful that experienced issues AFAIK.
          Do you know for a fact that the TS3560/3660 wings will fit on the 4512?

They did tell me that by my serial number my saw was in the last week of production that it was a problem. So, as far as taking a chance that my arbor will be fine, that's a BIG risk considering the result could be a saw blade embedded in my skull.
          Last edited by choprpilot76; 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I gotta say it sure sounds like they are trying there best to satisfy you, but this being a recall maybe they have no choice.

What about this. Strip the motor and arbor out of your 4511 and they pay to ship it to where it can be fixed, then ship it back to you. You would have to do the remove and install, but if you were willing (maybe with some compensation on their part for your time), you would have the better of the two saws and the peace of mind to use a dado set on it.
            You were going to have to strip the motor and arbor anyway to send back to them, so why not do that so you can keep your current saw?
            Yeah, I will say they have impressed me with their customer service. They have tried very hard to take care of me one way or another.

Comment

Any 27" cast iron wing can typically be easily added to a standard 27" cast iron table....most are interchangeable with some effort. The holes don't always line without some redrilling, but cast iron drills easily. I still think I'd rather have something comparable to the R4511 though.

Comment

I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with either saw, but given the choice the granite top saw would probably be best, as long as I never saw a move somewhere in it's future. I do like the design of the 4512, but the heavy-gauge pressed steel wings are a negative. I wasn't impressed with the fence on the 4511, but on both of the 4512's that I've seen, the fence bumps on the wings and there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. So for me, the 4511 would be an easy choice.

I wonder why they haven't made the offer to just have the motor/arbor assembly picked up, fixed and then shipped back to you? I think Bob D's suggestion is a very good one, and seemingly the best solution... unless they no longer have the parts to make the correction!

I must agree with you though, I certainly would NOT take any chances on using your 4511 without the fix, dado use or not.

So, press them on sending the motor assembly in, but also make sure that you get some written commitment to ensure that they don't come back at you, after they receive it, and tell you it can't be fixed and you'll have to take the swap! (Doubt that given thier efforts so far, that this would ever happen, but I think it's always wise to CYA.)

Welcome to the Ridgid forum ,

CWS

Comment

Do you ever travel (on leave etc) back through more populated areas? There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of accredited repair stations. Perhaps you could take the motor/arbor assy yourself to them, if RIDGID can't do the shipping of it. Have it repaired while you're on leave, pick it up on the way back.

I'm no fan of the R4511 (though I have one), the fence & rails aren't good enough. However, the R4512 does nothing to address the fence rails, and brings in the wing problem. I'd stick with the 4511 if you can get it made safe.

Comment

Yeah I'm confused myself on why they wouldn't just send me a shipping label to mail the arbor assembly. My only thoughts are that they want the assmbly certified, AND that the cost to ship it and back would probably equal or exceed their cost per 4512 unit. There are service reps about 2.5 hours away, but Ridgid could not get any of them to drive out here.

Either way the new 4512 is on the way. So I think I will ask them to authorize the repair at the nearest service center and pre-arrange to take it there, wait, and bring it home same day. I'll keep the 12v cordless for my inconvenience. I'll probably let them take the 4512 back or take it to my local HD.
                    Last edited by choprpilot76; 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Plenty of good furniture has been made on saws with stamped steel wings. Like most, I have and prefer iron, but I wouldn't look at that as fatal one way or another. The center section of the saw and the mechanism is infinitely more important than the wings. Plus, you can always modify the wings later if you want... but if I can offer a prediction, you won't see much real need to.

Comment

Well after hearing all of you and your reasoning it does seem to make more sense. I called Ridgid and let them know to arrange the repair at the nearest service center (1hr 45min away) and I will take it there. The rep that helped me is trying to get some kind of compensation for my troubles, we'll see what it is. In the end I will say that Ridgid set the standard of customer service for me, they were awesome. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Well I called them and told them that I wanted to keep my 4511 and to set up the service and I would drive the distance and back. Not only did they agree to it but they are still sending the new 4512 and the 12v cordless. So I am getting my 4511 fixed free, and a new 4512 table saw and drill for my inconvenience. I officially LOVE Ridgid now. Now I need to see if I can return the new 4512 to my local HD and get the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer I have been wanting so badly, which is $120 cheaper, so I'll have money left over for more toys.

Comment

Pretty sweet deal you've got going there.

Comment

When they tested my arbor they simply applied a torque wrench to 50 lb,s torque.
                              It did not snap the end of the arbor off. The guy said I even went to 55 lb,s. At that point he handed me a new nut and put a "Arbor Tested" sticker on the rear of the cabinet above the serial/model number plate.
                              So I would test your arbor the same way, order a new nut.

Buck

PS: He did use a spacer. Use your Dado,s? Or find a spacer.
                              Last edited by BuckB; 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X