X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of H Depot

Hay Ridgid people, why can’t you take your awesome line of tools out of home depot to Lowe’s home improvement, where your customer does not have to bite the P to enjoy your tools.
    Thank you,

Even though I feel that the Ridgid line is superior to Delta's I almost bought Delta when I was outfitting my shop because of the friendly folks at Lowes. What turned me was

1. I feel Ridgid is a better product compared to the store model Delta.

2. Can you say "Rebate"?

3. Trevor and Dan in the tool crib have been super.

I was really getting disapointed with my local HD but lately they have been improving in customer service and even throwing in a few smiles.
    There are several HDs in my area and they seem to vary from absolute crap to above average. I'm glad the one by my office is improving.

Comment

I don't think I have ever bitten the P. Then again, I haven't the faintest idea what is involved for one to bite the P. Just what is it you do when you bite the P?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
        Just what is it you do when you bite the P?
        Inquiring minds want to know?

I was in a Lowes a couple weeks ago and they didn't even stock stationary power tools. They had display models only and delivery was at least 3 days.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Hmm, I've been calling around to various Lowes for a Delta planer and I can't say there's much difference between the two, service-wise. At least at HD, I have found two or three helpful tool-crib people.

As for stationary power tools, HD beats the pants off of Lowes when it comes to consumer-grade stationary WW power tools. Delta virtually invented consumer-grade WW power tools and still makes some great ones, but you won't see them at Lowes, too pricey and too specialized.

Remember when dealing with Lowes or HD, they are a more specialized WalMart. You trade service and selection for lower prices and predicatable inventory. If you want higher-end products along with service and expertise, go to a specialty store like WoodCraft or Rockler (though I've found the latter pretty clueless) and be prepared to pay more.

Comment

The rockler in my area has top notch people working there. The service and return policy is great. But if you want that kind of service, it costs. Rockler does have sales frequently where the prices become competitive. Ask a salesman there if they have a 10% coupon promo going on, they have them about 1/2 the year and they keep the coupons behind the counter.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Guess it all must be in the eye of the beholder. Ridgid is certainly competitive with some types of stationary tools, but gad, even Woodcraft's full prices have good alternatives to some Ridgid tools-----planer, OSS, table saw. The problem is, around here, that HD's stationary tools seem to be an afterthought-----they frequently loose out to mass displays of Ryobi tools.

Of course, while I stick my head into HD, the last time I bought anything there was during their 25% off tool sale last year----now, I've got a HD gift card from my birthday, over two months ago---still haven't found anything I like----probably end up buying some nails or paint.
              Dave

Comment

Well, yeah, Dave, thats exactly my point. HD (and Lowes) are into too many things and fine WW tools are not a big priority for them. I will give them an A++ for product-development, though, the Ryobi and Ridgid lines of stationary power tools, IMHO, represent a great value for entry-level woodworkers, the brand recognition is simple and easy. If HD would just spend a little time promoting the stuff, maybe putting on some WW clinics or sponsoring some shows on DIY or HGTV featuring Ridgid/Ryobi tools, I'm sure they'd sell a lot more and maybe have some motivation to get some people in their store who actually know something about the products.

Comment

Jake----first, it's hard to generalize about HDs, since despite statements by their CEO that they want consistancy, each region pretty much operates independantly. For example, around here, there was no big blow-out of the old gray line Ridgid tools----they just sold them through at regular price.

As to advertising----I have seen more presence on DIY and even on PBS. When the new orange line came out, they ran a load of print ads here---but now-----you go into stores and there is no longer a lathe, jointer on display---only recently did the bandsaw and drill press make it back on the floor.

I do agree that they present good values for entry level ww'rs (well some of the tools) and I really don't know why they can't get it together. I think they're too interested in quick turnover and quick profits to bother nurtering the ww'rs market.
                  Dave

Comment

Speaking of Ridgid orange (HD orange) I just finished / started my WW shop in the garage and painted my pegboard orange to match my awesome saw and vacuum. And if Christmas goes well - miter saw [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

As for promotion. The show Trading Spaces is sponsored by HD and they have been showing and using mostly Ridgid tools. While the HDs in my area are lacking in knowledgable people, they still beat the hell out of Lowes in price and service.

[ 07-16-2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: papadan ]
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I agree with the above post. In Kentucky H.D. is the winner hands down. You have to tackle some one at Lowes to get help. You never ever get a deal. You want it you pay the price. I get a deal on something just about every time I go in Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by monlover:
                          Hay Ridgid people, why can’t you take your awesome line of tools out of home depot to Lowe’s home improvement, where your customer does not have to bite the P to enjoy your tools.
                          Thank you,

Comment

Thank you,

Comment

Thank you,
                              Can you spell "TROLL?"

That being said, I have found that service at Lowes is friendlier, but not really any better. They often do not stock things that I would assume that they should have (like a cabinet scraper), are subject to stock-outs on popular items, (I waited for months for parts for one of their house grills sold as Jenn-Air but having nothing to do with Jenn-Air except to license the name... Sound like Ridgid?), prices are no better than average, and all of the other things for which HD is famous. But at least they smile when they can not help you!

Comment

Working...
                              X