Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONTRACTOR TABLE SAW

Hi

i own the ridgid top of the line tablesaw and i couldnt be happier with it. what i would like to do is extend the top. if i buy a set of the cast iron table top and bolt them to my existing saw will that work? will it cause me any problems?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Good questions, SBS.
    There has been a lot of discussion about the 3612 and why its so great to have more space to the right of the blade. I, too, am curious why you can't just slap another wing up there. Then you could have 36 right and 24 left. Obviously, you have to do something with the fence system, to be able to use all of it. I'd just like having the big area for sheet goods. There seem to be many guys who know more than I do here, and I'm sure there must be a(some) good reason(s) not to do this. Maybe the cantilever and the weight (moment arm) are too much for the base, or make it hard to keep flat, or something? Maybe Jake can tell us if/how this would effect the warranty. The answers should be made apparent shortly. Enjoy that saw. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, if you look at saws that have an added fence length, such as the Biesemeyer 50", you'll note that they use a laminent covered plywood or MDF for the extension table. Indeed, many saws are eliminating the right cast iron wing in favor of the composite material. I added the 50" Biese' to my old Craftsman/Emerson saw and left the right cast iron wing on.

However, to answer your direct question, I wouldn't use another cast iron wing---first, you'd have to really support it from the floor up. Second, you might run the risk of slightly bowing your main table top---never had this problem personally, but have heard others complain about it.

Anyway, a good composite/laminent right extension, coupled with similar material for an outfeed table, are great features to have.
      Dave

Comment

I have to go with Dave on this question, adding another heavy wing would probally be too much weight on the fence rail and other wing. Also you would need a ground support which will affect the mobility of your saw.

What I did for more table surface is built me a router table on one side of my saw and a spindle sander on the other side. I used MDF with a laminate top. I bolted it to the slots in the rails. It gave me a big table as wide as my rails.

But what may work for me may not work for others, just listen and apply your ideas for your on needs.

Scott

Comment

Working...
        X