First saw R4512. Unboxing, assembly, and my issues.....+ mini review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First saw R4512. Unboxing, assembly, and my issues.....+ mini review

Ive been doing alot of work without a TS for some time. Making jigs to cut wood with a circular saw has been a pain.

So when a friend gave me a Delta 1160 in a million pieces I was excited to have a saw, but...had to clean it, restore it, assemble and find a motor.

6 Months later, I had this....

While the old iron was nice, and felt very sturdy, the first weekend of use I was hurt with some nasty kickback, and had issues with adjusting the entire thing, see I had all the parts, but with little or no documentation on the web, I really could not tell if a brass washer was to be placed instead of a steel one, torque settings, etc.

So I gave up, started looking, and set a 500 limit after my uncle told me that even a 500 limit could net a decent saw. This coming from a guy who owns a decked out humongous Powermatic Saw

Long-short, came to PC, Cman, Ridgid. Month of review readings, looking at PC and Cman in stores, staring at backorder tag on HD.com, etc etc, finally decided to put my phone skills to test.

Called every HD in north Texas, nothing, then Mississippi, finally located one in Alabama, used my sexy phone voice ( lol) to get AL store to ship the TS to my Local store. Whole process took almost a month.

Decided on the Ridgid for 2 reasons, well 3...
    1. Price
    2. Lifetime Service
    3. More positive reviews regarding this model over the Cman. And PC was 600 at Lowes

So, weeks later I got the call from local HD, went to pick up the saw, Knowing from research on issues with packing, I opened the box. Yup, a damaged front rail, and some smashed up foam. However the damage to the rail didnt look so bad that I couldnt live with it, so the manager gave me one hell of a discount on the saw, so so far it was worth it.

Took 3 guys to put it in my van, um, the box was alot bigger than I expected, thats for sure.
    Got it home, opened the van, and had to think how I would get it out alone, when I have a severe case of Tennis Elbow and carpel tunnel in both arms, and I have a serious issue with my back, I had to think.

So I grabbed the small rolling cabinet I made for the Delta, and found it was even with the van deck.

I decided to empty the box, lay all parts out on workbench, and around where I needed to put it together, and only have to slide the box out of the van with just the table and cabinet, it was very easy.

Well, gonna move on as this could drag on...lol.

I read that people have had a hard time with assembly due to poor instructions and poor labeling of parts, I thought it was very easy, all bolts were labeled in little sections that told me what they were for, and how many, infact I was wondering if some people were just smoking crack. With laying out each part and laying the back of the bolt packaging next to the bolts, it was elementary.

Assembly went slow, mostly to how limited my arms were that day, and it was 22 degrees and I have no heat in shop, so I had to go in and swap out gloves for warmer ones, etc. Took about 2 hours total time to put together.
    I used a drill to run all bolts down, I set my drill to the lowest torque setting so parts were loose, then used the supplied allen wrenches to tighten up when needed.

Once together, I did my best to adjust fence, rails, etc. The blade was dead perfect out of the box, the rails and fence, well we can get to that later.......

So, saw is done. Runs great, im pretty happy.

On with issues......

1. Fence wont align, but it does align.
    2. Rails wont level out.
    3 Rails dont really do a good job of supporting added extension (See #2)
    3. My stamped steel extensions are bowed.

1, Fence....
    From 0-12 my fence is dead perfect, I adjusted the front rail, and did have to adjust the fence, which I have to say is a huge pain. The fence for the 47 Delta was alot easier to align.
    From 12-30" the front of blade to fence is perfect, rear of blade to fence is approx 1/16th" wider. Ill explain what Ive done to try and fix all these issues.....

2, Rails. Wow, 2 piece rails do suck. Ridgid (or manufacture) decided in design to give you 2 small bars with 4 set screws to hold rails together, only in my opinion they need to be longer (not much room where rail bolts to cast iron top) however the lower one could use adding another 4+ inches, and why not utilize the 3rd T track on front of rail to add yet another bar to help support the rail. Even bolted to the table I am having issues, but again......could be bent from the damage... More later..

3, Steel extensions are bowed. I have a crown, or peak on my steel extensions. I was expecting flat. the corners are rounded, and it crowns in middle. My opinion, poor, however, speak up if yours are like that to. I assume mine are special, and I got a few problem parts, maybe I got the Friday end of shift parts, who knows right?, I mean look Toyota builds 1,000,000 cars, 600,00 dont stop, so once in awhile crap happens.

Oh, late entry, my anti kickback pawls was broke, the small grey cast part has a split in it.

Being I went through all the trouble locating the saw, and how incredibly nice my local store was, I did call to inform, but in no way made a stick, just wanted him to know what was going on, and that id call ridgid.

First Ridgid Tech guy was a dick. 20 Minutes later I spoke with a much nicer guy in Tech. I was informed that parts just dont exist yet, that they are trying to catch up with manufactoring before filling parts bins. Ok, new saw, I understand, so Mr Tech support......Im open minded, you have used? or an alternative?

So, we discus alternatives and he give me a few ideas,
    1. Different rails. Yeah, but how?. Maybe from TS3650? Ok, 1 piece front and back, they appear to be same extrusion, works for me.
    2. Different extensions, same donor saw ts3650
    3. acquiring Anti kickback Pawls from demo, or from department that beats machines up.

Im good with any of those alternatives, as see as far as Im concerned, I just want the safety features, and a square cutting level and true machine. Im flexible. Besides, who would complain about cast iron extensions from the 3650 on their 4512? yeah, though nobody would, or the 1 piece rails?, nope, me neither. So as far as I am concerned, these are valid alternatives to a lack of parts for my model.

While I made the last call to Tech Support Friday at 4:45pm, I wont hear back till tuesday, in the meantime, this is what I tried to do to fix these issues.........

Brought TS into house to warm it up (yeah, wife was happy about that)
    Took it apart down to CI Top, all 4 rails, extensions, fence, all came off.
    Let sit overnight.

Using some shims, extra washers, and alot of thinking I worked to get the rails dead level to the CI Top, first issue was getting rails assembled flat. They must be bent, it aint happening. I came upon the thought of better support while trying to flatten the rails.

Tried to think of a way to flatten steel ext, but was worried about voiding a warranty, or making situation worse, so I worked on getting them level. I hate the method, its a pain, and my extensions have to sit an 1/8" below the CI section so the fence will clear.

Also looked into why my top was/is so rough, I can feel every ridge, its not smooth, and dont even try to run your finger down the miter track, that my friend needs sanding and polishing, I dont think it was ever touched outside of the actual cut out.
    So, Ill get some 320, and 400, 600, 1200 and smooth out the top, and work the miter tracks another time. However I did get the fence to align out to 13" from blade, same 1/8th inch issue after 13.

Anyway, with the way that Ridgid Tech and local Home Depot have been handling this, it is worth the 399.00 that I paid for the saw I just hope the rail/fence alignment issue gets resolved very very soon so I can start ripping down some of my sheet goods. If I have to, Ill buy an Incra LS rail and fence system for the saw, but would like to see if Ridgid will stick to the TS3650 extension and rail replacements and turn mine into a solid CI surfaced 4512.

As far as the fence, I personally like the slot in the side of the fence, It made it easier to add a piece of laminated MDF for use with a dado, though a ZCI would be nice

All in all, I will still recommend the 4512 to anyone who asks, just because I had certain issues does not mean they all will.

Re: First saw R4512. Unboxing, assembly, and my issues.....+ mini review

This is an example of a Thread which was moderated by the new SPAM setting. With all of the work the OP put into the thread it would have been a shame to have lost it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Oldmacnut,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

One heckuva way to introduce yourself... very nice review, good photos, and honest appraisal, without getting all bent out of shape about it. Nice way to go, THANKS!

So now I'm looking forward to your further participation in the forum.

Sorry to read though that you've run into so many problems with damaged parts. That seems to happen a lot at Home Depot, so not sure if it's Ridgid's manufacturer in this case, poor packaging, or just some lousey handling during shipment and handling. The latter I believe, is what killed the previous 4511 granite-topped saw.

You mentioned that you had to lower the extension tables to keep the rip fence from "bumping". I've visited two HD's in my area to look at the 4512 and in both cases, the extensions were level with the cast iron top, but you had to literally lift the fence in order to get it to slide from right to left onto the top. Something just doesn't seem to be right about that. The extension table in one of the stores already has the paint worn off the forward right corner, because the rip fence hits it.

I'm hoping that you get all these problems resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Lastly, don't forget to REGISTER your saw for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement! If you don't properly register it, you will only have the three-year warranty. (Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have about that procedure, if you need to.)

Good luck with your new saw and please... work safely!

CWS

Comment

I agree with CWS....nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          This is an example of a Thread which was moderated by the new SPAM setting. With all of the work the OP put into the thread it would have been a shame to have lost it.

Mark
          I dont get it, however, Jim here is a smart cookie, I had copied and pasted my thread several times into Notepad, in case there was a timeout with the page (there was when I went to submit), or say my daughter decided to push the power button, or something.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Oldmacnut,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

One heckuva way to introduce yourself... very nice review, good photos, and honest appraisal, without getting all bent out of shape about it. Nice way to go, THANKS!

So now I'm looking forward to your further participation in the forum.

Sorry to read though that you've run into so many problems with damaged parts. That seems to happen a lot at Home Depot, so not sure if it's Ridgid's manufacturer in this case, poor packaging, or just some lousey handling during shipment and handling. The latter I believe, is what killed the previous 4511 granite-topped saw.

You mentioned that you had to lower the extension tables to keep the rip fence from "bumping". I've visited two HD's in my area to look at the 4512 and in both cases, the extensions were level with the cast iron top, but you had to literally lift the fence in order to get it to slide from right to left onto the top. Something just doesn't seem to be right about that. The extension table in one of the stores already has the paint worn off the forward right corner, because the rip fence hits it.

I'm hoping that you get all these problems resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Lastly, don't forget to REGISTER your saw for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement! If you don't properly register it, you will only have the three-year warranty. (Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have about that procedure, if you need to.)

Good luck with your new saw and please... work safely!

CWS
          CW; Thanks. However with a 150.00 discount, and no tax charged ( I own a small company not related to what I do, but, If I make a box for a camera with the saw then I guess I am legal. Anyway, I wanted the saw, worked hard to get it to my town, and expected a certain level of damage, I would have been surprised if it was not damaged. However, either HD or Ridgid would make it right, so I have nothing to get pissy about. I guess in how I treat my customers helps with the way I treat businesses as a customer... maybe.

I think Packaging needs to be re-engineered for this saw, and Ridgid needs to ditch the 2 piece rails, and investigate some of these outsourced parts. I had 5 bolts and 4 nuts that were miss threaded/out of spec and just pulled some from my hardware stock, the stamped extensions being possibly warped or just not inspected prior to packaging.

Yes, in a way it is disappointing that my saw came with so many issues, however, I got some phone skills, and if through my experience in this I can make a difference in some way, and help change or prevent these issues again for others, then its worth it to me.

I am having some issues with binding today using the saw, material is not riding the fence all the way down, but fence is square to blade, I dont know right now.

As far as contributing....I will. I make keepsake boxes, desk cradles for the Droid X and a few other phones, and apparently my mother in law wants a whole new kitchen, however, the 30 6' l 2"x6" Japanese Cedar boards I recently scored are first priority for a solid Cedar Chest for my Wife, as a "Thanks for putting up with me wanting tools" As I start on that project, Oh, Ill post pics in an updated thread.

However, today, its all about restructuring my garage, as this saw takes alot of room, when you only have 11' 6" x 23" of workable room, and a workbench thats 9' x 43", I have been busting butt since 5am, maybe ill be able to post pics when I am done with the outfeed table/wood storage cart, right side cabinet, and clean roomy shop.

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          I agree with CWS....nicely done!
          Thanks man. Ill get more pics up soon, and an update tuesday after I talk to Ridgid and go to the local HD.

Comment

Wow,

Sorry you had so many issues with the 4512. I am also a new member and posted a very quick review of the assembly process. I too just bought the 4512 last weekend. I guess I was very lucky. I didn't have the issues you did. I was able to align my wings to flat with no real issues other than some patience. My fence slides over the wings with no bump at all. What I did have a bump on was where the rail sections join together. No matter how much I tried, I still have a slight bump where the rails join. I would estimate it at 1/64 of an inch--just enough to catch a fingernnail on. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it is a little annoying.

I did have a issue with the blade--it was warped out of the box. I think it was tighened down to much when it was secured at the factory on the side of the saw. I just haven't had a chance to call Ridgid yet.

The alignement on the saw was dead on and even though the miter slots aren't smooth on the bottom, my miter gauge slides pretty darn smooth.

Please let us know if the rails from the other saw actually work out.

Comment

Also forgot to mention that I adapted the dust collector chute to work with a shopvac. I added a 90 degree elbow (4" abs sewer drain, not schedule 40 pvc---$2.89) and taped it up with some silver aluminum hvac tape. I then put a 4"-2.5" reducer I had laying around in the other end of the elbow and taped it as well. I turned it so it shoots our the side and it clears the lift and makes attaching the shopvac simple. I get zero bottom leakage and I would guess that I am collecting 90-95% of the dust. I can live with that for now. All in all, I'm pretty happy.

Comment

Originally posted by tkd View Post
                Wow,

Sorry you had so many issues with the 4512. I am also a new member and posted a very quick review of the assembly process. I too just bought the 4512 last weekend. I guess I was very lucky. I didn't have the issues you did. I was able to align my wings to flat with no real issues other than some patience. My fence slides over the wings with no bump at all. What I did have a bump on was where the rail sections join together. No matter how much I tried, I still have a slight bump where the rails join. I would estimate it at 1/64 of an inch--just enough to catch a fingernnail on. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it is a little annoying.

I did have a issue with the blade--it was warped out of the box. I think it was tighened down to much when it was secured at the factory on the side of the saw. I just haven't had a chance to call Ridgid yet.

The alignement on the saw was dead on and even though the miter slots aren't smooth on the bottom, my miter gauge slides pretty darn smooth.

Please let us know if the rails from the other saw actually work out.
                And here I thought I was the only one who got a 30 grit miter track......

Today, I had to completely restructure the shop, this saw takes more room than I thought. Now I have had to move it a few times, but it always seems to go back in the same spot. I was having some serious binding issues, so, took insert and blade off, blew out and vacuumed any dust, put a different blade on and checked ye ol fence, wow, 1/8" shy up front, 1/4" out back. I am assuming that fence is kinda temperamental. So, I might try to get the wife to let me buy an Incra LS fence/rail system, and get the large one so I have 52 Capacity. I want the Incra for my Router table real bad, though I have a nice Pinnacle RF3 Fence.

That.....would freaking rock on this table.

So, issues aside....

In my opinion, I will recommend this saw to anyone. I think for the price, the Lifetime Service, the fact it will cut through 3" thick white oak without barfing on me, and I must say, I do love the split in the fence, I love the t-track everywhere on this thing. I wish it had the micro adjusters like the PC version, and I also love the split blade guard.

The saw works, it does its job. Yeah, the ability to make a 36" cut on sheets goods would be nice, but that is getting into after market fence/rails there. Due to the location of my power source, and how the saw has to be placed, I wish I could relocate the cord and switch to the right side, instead of having to use an extension cord.

Ignore my issues if you are reading this thread thinking of buying one, I am not griping, just sharing, Ridgid and HD have been very good so far.

BUY THE SAW BUY THE SAW BUY THE SAW!!!!!!

Remember, dont do anything you dont want to explain to an EMT.

Comment

I think Packaging needs to be re-engineered for this saw,
                  I have raised this issue in the past and have been told that it is being addressed. There is of course stock on the shelves that will not see the benefit of the revised packaging, so it may be some time before the changes are realized at the end of the distribution chain when the purchaser takes possession of the saw.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Update,

Got a call from Ridgid,

The are sending me the rails, fence, and all needed hardware from the TS3650 model to replace the rails on mine, sending the fence as they said it is just a little different.

All I can say is....

Im only buying Ridgid from now on.

Comment

It is so much nicer to read these positive Customer Service reports
                      than the horror stories we have heard in the past. I hope the change
                      is permanent as it can only benefit RIDGID in the long haul.

I'm not saying people should not air their grievances or concerns here when they have exhausted other avenues. I think that people, especially future buyers, need to know what they are getting in to just as if they were buying a car they would want to know what the dealers service department was like.

I also know that those who post here will in most cases be the negative ones, its only natural when you feel wronged (doesn't matter what the truth is), you're bound to complain. Those complaints will always outnumber the good. That's exactly the reason that I fell no gripe aired on the forum should go unanswered. Not debated or dragged out but just a simple comment (when appropriate) from CS saying "contact us and we will work to get your problem resolved". End of story.

So I applaud what to me seems to be a renewed effort by RIDGID CS to address customers problems or get them answers.

Comment

Bob, that's really great to hear that Ridgid is sending you all of the parts. They wouldn't even send me a replacement blade that was bent from the factory.

Comment

I didn't receive anything.
                          I was just commenting on other members' dealings with CS.

Comment

I just bought my 4512 last week... It was the only one HD had in my area, by which I mean I had to make a thirty minute drive to get it. No worries though. I had trouble with the steel extensions as well. One actually was a full 1/8 of inch higher then the CI top. Being the "I can fix this" type I just filed the bolt holes into notches and shimmed them level. Works beautifully but I think since the Steel is rounded the fence catches as its slides over the seam. Nonetheless maybe I should call Ridgid and get a couple of CI wings.

Luckily mine was packed fine. There was actually a piece of styrofoam protecting the fence rail. But i did have to align the fence and the riving knife.

Otherwise I'm really liking this saw. It's a huge improvement over my awful skil benchtop.

Comment

This TS does look identical (except for color) to the Craftsman 21833. I’ve heard of others having some alignment issues with the Craftsman 21833.
                              Anyone know about same problems with alignment issues on 4512?
                              Thank you!
                              Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X