X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw savvy? Need help.

Hey fellas, how are you? I'm new on here and I'm a new woodworker (kinda) and I'm trying to establish quality tools. I have aquired a Rigdig 4511 T/S, A rigdig 12" cms, a jointer/ planer, also from rigid, and am now looking for a band saw. That being said, the ridgid one looks cheap and underpowered... What do I need to do? Budget isn't the biggest issue here, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. I do enjoy reading the posts on here and appreciate your answers.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Band saw savvy? Need help.

Woodlum,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

This is a great place with many honest, good-natured members who are quite willing to share their experience and expertise. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have.

Regarding the Ridgid bandsaw, it seems to have a mix of opinions, most of which I think are negative. But there are others that feel that it's a good bandsaw, once you get everything tweaked and spend some time working out all the kinks.

Personally, I think there are better bandsaws for the money and my feelings are that you shouldn't have to buy a new tool and then do a lot of work on it to get it to run properly. That alone would direct me elsewhere, but that's more my opinion and I'm sure others may differ.

I presently only own a 9-inch bandsaw, the Ryobi BS902 which I'm happy with and it's a great little bandsaw for the money ($99) and a good thing to learn on. But that said, I think one should probably go with what best fits their budget and their work/project plans.

14-inch bandsaws appear to be the most popular and certainly they come at the best price/performance I think. Top units seem to be the traditional cast iron design Grizzly G0555 which sells for about $450, plus shipping (see all the Grizzly models at http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=420000

The Sears Craftsman 14-inch is a welded steel frame (often referred to as a "European-design") which offers superior rigidity, but lacks the capability of putting and extension block which increases the depth of cut. (The "traditional" cast-iron design is basically a two piece unit which can be separated, adding a spacer/extension to raise the upper portion for more depth of cut.) However the Craftsman offer a 8-inch depth of cut which is greater than most standard bandsaws and it retails for about $560, but is occasionally on sale. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...&blockType=L18

Rikon is also a very popular model that is very similar to the Craftsman unit. It has a couple of 14-inch models, with the top of the line "Deluxe" offering some very nice features and an expanded depth of cut of 13 inches. See the entire Rikon line here: http://www.rikontools.com/products_bandsaws.htm

I'm not sure what the price range is on the Rikons, but I would think they are competive with the Craftsman and other similar models. Other bandsaw manufacturers that come to mind are Delta and Jet and perhaps Porter-Cable. Not sure if DeWalt makes one, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. Lowes may have either the Delta and maybe a Porter-Cable. Not sure about the Jet.

The thing with a bandsaw, is that they are great for re-sawing and of course if your projects are going to enlist "curves". Other uses of course. But, I have a tendency to have a project or demand for a tool before I buy, rather than just "outfitting" a shop. But of course each of us has our own way to go and budget pretty much defines my own path.

I hope this helps and once again, welcome to the forum,

CWS

Comment

If you can find a Delta (not Porter-Cable) BS, look at that. About the same price new and better overall quality.

Not long ago I asked if the PC bandsaw was replacing the Delta model which has been out there for many years. I asked because I saw in /Lowes that the Delta BS was on close-out and next to it was a PC bandsaw which they had just started carrying.

But in the past couple weeks we have learned two things:

1. That Delta has been sold so that means Delta and PC and no longer joined at the hip so to speak.

2. At the Baltimore Woodworking show this past weekend I spoke with a rep from PC and asked him about the PC bandsaw and was it replacing the Delta. He said no. Now this was before the news was announced that Delta was being sold, so now his comments make sense to me.

So based on that I would say the Delta BS will remain available, and probably still made overseas in the same factory where it is now, but I don't know that for sure.

I would not consider the PC bandsaw, it is inferior even to the RIDGID BS. I really wish RIDGID had brought out their proposed new bandsaw a couple years ago, the market was just too tight I guess.

You should be able to find dozens of older Delta bandsaws, along with clones from various manufacturers (including RIDGID). Most of the 14" bandsaws copy the basic design of the Delta and all have their own strong and weak points, so continue your research and look them over. The Grizzley bandsaws get good reviews. Jet also makes a nice BS.

Years back Craftsman offered a 12" bandsaw (probably around the time Emerson was making them for Sears) that was unique for a woodworking bandsaw in the under 20" category. The large flat table was stationary and the saw itself pivoted to accomplish bevel cuts. This kept your workpiece flat. This design is used on large vertical metal-cutting bandsaws like the Do-All or the ones made by Marvel, but those are machines costing thousands. The Marvel I used years back cost $23K, but with a water cooled blade and automatic feed it could slice through a piece of W12x60 steel H Beam like it was pine 2x4.

Do some searching on the 'net and you will find some help in making your decision. I did a quick Google search on "14" bandsaws reviews" and found this in a couple seconds.

http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-bandsaw.pdf

Its an 8 page review of 6 14" bandsaws, including the RIDGID BS1400
      Band Saws Reviewed:This review was published April 2002. • Jet JWBS-14CS
      • Delta 28-280
      • General International 90-100
      • Craftsman Professional
      • Powermatic 044
      • Rigid BS-1400
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ridgid's band saw is, IMHO, the weakest link in their stationary power tool line up. there are many threads on this forum that deal with vibration and wheel balance issues that can be accessed by using the search function for "ridgid band saw". instead, since you stated budget isn't an issue, take a look at grizzly tools. they offer several 14" band saws that offer very good values:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=420000

another 14" BS that offers great performance and is very well recieved is the rikon 10-325:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

btw, both of the above companies are well known for courteous customer service and knowledgeable technical support. whatever you do, don't waste your time or money on the products of the walter meier group (WMG).

that is the company that currently owns the jet, powermatic and wilton brands. they are long on promise, short on delivery and pricey, making them poor values. those brand names once represented good woodworking tools, but it seems as though the WMG is content to deliver poorly engineered tools that trade primarily on the past reputations of their brands. HTH.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Grizzly, Rikon or contrary to the man with a bug up his butt (beginning to suspect his mother ran off with a Powermatic salesman)...Powermatic or Jet would all be better choices than the Ridgid.

Personally, I have a 14" Grizzly G0555 and it has performed well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
            ......contrary to the man with a bug up his butt (beginning to suspect his mother ran off with a Powermatic salesman)...Powermatic or Jet would all be better choices than the Ridgid.

FINER9998's constant bad mouthing of that company is getting rather old and stale but you're comment just made me

To the OP, I too would recommend you stay away from the RIDGID bandsaw. For the money it costs plus what you need to invest in it after you buy it to get it to run properly you would do well to look at others. For around $500 the Grizzly G0555P is a very good saw. Another option would be to check out the used market. Some of the older Delta saws are highly thought of.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I just noticed that you live close to me. I have the Ridgid BS that has been tuned to run smooth that I am wanting to sell. It also has the herc-u-lift on it. I just don't do the work that I used to do so I don't need it and want to free up some room. I will make you a good deal on it. If interested private message me.
              Last edited by TOD; 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I replied to this thread early this morning but the post was put on hold for review for soem reason. I'm not going to restate everything I did in that post, I'll just say I agree with Dave and that I have the Rikon 10-325 and it has been a great saw for the money. More $ up front over the RIDGID, but a better saw right out of the box. No re-balancing of wheels and all the other tuning rituals to progress through. And with 13" of resaw capacity, no extension needed.

I would look on CL for a used Delta, there should be plenty of them.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Yea, I'm kinda close to you, about 2 hours away, what kind of deal did you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by woodlum View Post
                    Yea, I'm kinda close to you, about 2 hours away, what kind of deal did you have in mind?

I would let it go for $200. I would rather see it put to use than just set. I do have all the manauls that came with it. I just sent you my phone number in a private message.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                      I would let it go for $200. I would rather see it put to use than just set. I do have all the manauls that came with it. I just sent you my phone number in a private message.
                      At that price i would have to seriously consider the RIDGID BS. And as TOD says he has the bugs worked out already so you won't have to deal with that. I would expect you might have to give it a quick once over. After the move and a 2 hour drive something is likely to be out of line a bit.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

I too posted earlier (about 1:30 or so this morning), providing three links along with my recommended "take a look at"... but obviously the new "spam filter" or something knocked me out with that "need to be reviewed by a moderator". So, my post got lost... but, all my points were well covered by the others (great minds or what )

In addition to the Grizzly and Rikon recommendations, I also was going to refer you to the Craftsman 14-inch, which is very much like the Rikon, only with a depth of cut at 8-inches. Price on the Craftsman is about $450.

But, seeing the offer from TOD, I'd have to join in and say that sounds like a very good deal indeed. As Bob D. already mentioned, "he has the bugs worked out already". That, and the fact that it comes with the Herc-U-Lift mobile base, sounds very good to me and I think it's well worth your consideration. At $200, it also allows you a pretty decent-size machine and if further down the road you find that your bandsaw skills and needs require something bigger, you'll not be hung-up on the fact that you've already got $450 or more tied up in a tool. Such things usually makes it difficult to justify, at least in my budgeting.

In any case, welcome to the Ridgid forum and I hope you enjoy your new shop!

CWS

Comment

FWIW....I have an orange Ridgid BS. It is now a really nice saw. I bought it as a return several yrs ago. When I first got it, this tool vibrated like crazy. With a little money and effort I make this a very nice performing BS. I picked this up for under $300 and will add up the mods. If I was buying a new saw, I don't think I would get the Ridigd, but if you can pick one up for 150 dollars, you can get it running nicely for less $$$ than a new saw.

What to do:

1. Link Belt @$30
                          2. Balance Wheels free
                          3. Polyeurathane Tires (orange ones HAHA) $35
                          4. Soldify base, $25 for piece of MDF placed on stock stand...I built a whole cart for $85
                          5. Timberwolf blade, $30.

This saw will now saw 6 inch red oak without batting an eye with my TW 3TPI blade.

I'd seriously look at TOD's deal!

Pics on my links...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=2fae135ec4
                          Best of luck
                          Last edited by bullethead; 01-17-2011, 12:13 AM.
                          http://www.picturetrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

thank you, i will call you tomorrow and see if i can come up and get it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodlum View Post
                              thank you, i will call you tomorrow and see if i can come up and get it.

I am retired plus its a holiday so I will be here all day.
                              SSG, U.S. Army
                              Retired
                              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                              X