X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Lift Selection

I'm in the process of building a router table and I have the cabinet completed ready to mount my Porter Cable 7518.

I'm looking for a router lift which I can adjust from the table top, replace bits from the top, basically do everything from the top and not have to go underneath the table.

I've looked at Rockler and found:
    Bench Dog 40-150 Prolift
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19517

and I've looked at Woodcraft and found:
    JessEm Mast-R-Lift
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...all-Plate.aspx

I'm building my table top and already have the supplies ready to mount my Porter-cable 7518.

Does anybody have any input on these router lifts? One better than the other? Is there a better one I'm leaving out? They're priced the same.

Thanks for your time!
    Brandon
    I bleed RIDGID orange...

Re: Router Lift Selection

I have heard good things about the Woodpecker lift. I do not have one myself but have been researching as well. There is currently a sale at $199. I am not sure about the available April 2011 note however....

http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html
    Mike

Comment

I too am in the market for a router lift (and table) to add onto my
      table saw since I let my previous router table go with the 3650.

I was just reading today about a new lift that MLCS has and wondering if
      anyone here knows of it. This new lift is a powered lift that you can control
      with a footpedal or from up top via the control box. You can set travel limits
      and also raise/lower the router while running, or so they claim in the ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdhM...layer_embedded
      Last edited by Bob D.; 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It looks like a nice lift, but the biggest drawback I see is that its not made to fit the PC7518 size motors.

When I hear "router lift" I figure router table, and when I hear table I figure fairly large router motor (3.X HP and higher).

It would be nice to see them come out with another model that supports (no pun intended) the 7518 and that size motors.

As far as the OP goes, I have a Bench Dog lift and love it. Got it used, so its not one of the ones thats been produced after Rockler took over (some people say quality went downhill after that).

For the price, I think Id go with the PRL that TinCan linked to. April seems like a long wait, not sure if its true/why, but Woodpecker lifts are always called quality.

Comment

Well after careful consideration I pulled the trigger.

Found a Woodpecker PRL-V2 on sale.

I'll be sure to follow with a writeup when I get it in.

Thanks for all the help guys!
          Brandon
          I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

I have the Jessum and its a great router lift. They have a new lower priced model for $129 right now that from all I have heard works well.

Comment

Originally posted by blboyd View Post
              Well after careful consideration I pulled the trigger.

Found a Woodpecker PRL-V2 on sale.

I'll be sure to follow with a writeup when I get it in.

Thanks for all the help guys!
              Brandon
              Why did you pick the V2 over the original PRL? Just curious because I am looking too and evaluating a number of models.

I was thinking of the fine pitch PRL with the sidewinder accessory. Together they are about $270. I don't see a big difference between the PRL and the PRL-V2, but maybe I missed it. I know the V2 has the thumbwheel adjuster that allows fine adjustment w/o using the hand crank but with the sidewinder on the PRL I think I will have about the same thing plus I will not need to use the hand crank at all.

I noticed most of the photos on the site show a brass starting pin but only one or two models come with a brass pin, they are mostly steel starting pins. Now a big deal but its kind of a bait and switch.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Why did you pick the V2 over the original PRL? Just curious because I am looking too and evaluating a number of models.
                The main reason I picked the V2 is because the lift wrench will lift the router for above the table bit changes and the thumbwheel allows for fine adjustments. The original PRL doesn't have the thumbwheel. Plus I noticed that the original PRL is being discontinued and I didn't want to jump on a product at the end of it's lifecycle. The Sidewinder caught my eye but I didn't want the crank sticking out the side of my table.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                I noticed most of the photos on the site show a brass starting pin but only one or two models come with a brass pin, they are mostly steel starting pins. Now a big deal but its kind of a bait and switch.
                Yeah I noticed that too. Description says steel starting pin right under a pic of a brass pin. I figured I have access and the knowledge to a lathe at work so I would just cut me a couple starting pins. I plan to make a brass and poly one.

Thanks,
                Brandon
                I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

Quick question -

Is there any benefit to a (manual) router lift with the R2930x RIDGID router?

With the T-shank wrench, isn't it more or less a built-in lift anyway? I have the fixed base installed in my homemade router table, and I can use the T-shank through the top to raise/lower the unit. In practice, I don't bother because the normal knob is easily accessible from under the table, and I tend to squat down to view the bit at eye level to set the height. At that height, the knob is more convenient than the T-shank. I'd imagine a full-blown lift would be the same.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                  X