No more clogged filters with your Ridgid vac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more clogged filters with your Ridgid vac

I don't know how many of you heard of the DustDeputy but if you want to know how well it works, well 2 months of use and 3 buckets full of sawdust I figured I would have a look at the filter, and to my surprise only a light brush of dust on it. is it worth the $115.00CDN? most definitely.
    Here's the link http://dustdeputy.com/index.htm

Cheers
    Glen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glen L; 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM.

Re: No more clogged filters with your Ridgid vac

they are reputed to be very effective. taking tips from this forum, i built 2 shopvac powered separators from scrap using a thien baffle:

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

same results as the DD. once i figure out how to wall mount the power head of my ap400. i'll build a separator for my DC.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I also use a shop built Thein unit in front of my dust collector, it works excellent!

Comment

I built two Thien units. The first one was a trashcan size unit for the dust collector, and is amazingly efficient. Many, many bags of sawdust out of the trashcan, and barely an inch in the dust collector bag.

The second one was for my RIDGID vac, and based on a 5 gal paint bucket. This one is only about 50% efficient. I get as much in the bucket as in the vac, unlike the DC one, which is probably in the 98%+ range. I obviously didn't scale the design down correctly. Given it cost me about $10 to make, I'll rework it rather than admit defeat and purchase one! Part of the motivation to do that is the challenge of getting the efficiency up rather than the pure economics. The cost of my time would be way over the cost of the DD already, but that's not the point so much as the technical challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
          I built two Thien units. The first one was a trashcan size unit for the dust collector, and is amazingly efficient. Many, many bags of sawdust out of the trashcan, and barely an inch in the dust collector bag.

The second one was for my RIDGID vac, and based on a 5 gal paint bucket. This one is only about 50% efficient. I get as much in the bucket as in the vac, unlike the DC one, which is probably in the 98%+ range. I obviously didn't scale the design down correctly. Given it cost me about $10 to make, I'll rework it rather than admit defeat and purchase one! Part of the motivation to do that is the challenge of getting the efficiency up rather than the pure economics. The cost of my time would be way over the cost of the DD already, but that's not the point so much as the
          technical challenge.
          I would have most likely attempted to build one myself if I had more time on my hands. With my workshop in the basement of my house I need better dust control and fast because it was getting out of control. I was cleaning clogged filters almost on a daily basis making this a real pain in the butt, so for the $115 all my problems are solved and I have a happy wife... now that her dusting duties are cut down to normal, and that is a good thing anyway you slice it.

You can also get the D.I.Y cyclone on it's own using your own buckets and hardware if you want to save the $40.

Cheers
          Glen

Comment

Working...
          X