X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, This?, or This?....

LOL, throw some people off on the title.

I need, NEED a planer. Resawing so close to 1/4" planks on the TS gets......well white knuckle.

Anyway, been drooling over the Ridgid Planer as it has 3 blades, but the jointer???

So, pardon my utter stupididty, but the Planer, or Jointer?,

This,

Or This?, And what does the jointer do for me that the Planer doesn't?. Especially if I am gluing up several pieces of wood for a plank, that then needs to be flattened out......

Re: So, This?, or This?....

Well, the planer basically just reduces the stock to a thickness that you prefer. Great for buying rough finished stock and then planing it down to the final thickness you need. But, it won't generally "flatten" a board. If the board is cupped, the feed rollers will basically flatten it as it goes through the planer, the cutter head will slice off up to 1/8-inch of stock (usually thinner on hardwoods) and as the stock emerges, the board will resume it's "cup".

The joiner will "flatten" you stock as well as square an edge. Basically you set the outfeed side of the table to the amount you want to remove, and then you hand feed the stock over the rotating (3-blade) cutter head. If the stock is cupped or otherwise warped, the cutter will remove the portion that touches the table surface and the cutter will take off the difference between the infeed and outfeed tables. You may have to pass the stock through a few times, but eventually the stock will be "flattened". You can then (or also) plane an edge, making it square with the flattened surface. This of course would be ideal of joining and of course give you an "edge" to to pass along your table-saw's rip fence.

Once you have an absolutely "flat" side, you can then use a "thickness planer" to reduce the top side, making both sides "finished" and "parallel" to each other.

Given the choice of which first, I guess would depend on the type of work you are doing and whether you buy your stock rough or finish cut. The latter is what one usually buys at Home Depot and most other lumber supply retailers.

Probably my first choice would now be to get the joiner first and follow as soon as possible with the thickness planer. (I bought them in reverse, TP1300 thickness planer and only recently the joiner... both are still in the box BTW.)

There have been a couple of posts regarding the lack of a headlock on the R4330 planer. I don't think this is a major problem, as I have not seen a rash of complaints, but I think it's worth the mention and your consideration. Hopefully others will jump in here with their opinion. I purchased the previous TP1300 (two-blade cutter head with a locking mechanism) just before the new model was introduced.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

a planer does the thickness and a jointer trues a board, on one edge or surface,

the jointer does not or will not do a board to a given thickness, and a planer will not properly true or flatten a board,

in the past there have been a few companies that built a jointer in the top of the planer for a two in one tool, never really heard any thing on them good or bad, apparently JET and Grizzly makes one, and some others but there pricey for the most part, the Jet seems to reasonable priced, for what it is, http://www.google.com/search?source=...a08b01bd7a8d2d

but for the most part if one is goign to use the bench top planer, one can buy a separate jointer for less moneys normally, (yes your width of the jointer is less, but face jointing is hard usually),

but if some one is just going to edge joint there are a few options by using a special home made fence on a table saw, or a special home made fence for a router, that will make a working jointer, or use a hand plane jointer,
      Table saw
      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=139575
      http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02...dge-no-jointer
      Router
      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8718
      http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill...e.aspx?id=3362
      http://www.practical-sailor.com/mari...ansjointer.pdf
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

well thickness is more of an issue.

I have alot of reclaimed lumber, so much cedar from Pallets that came from Japan, destined for Clean room equipment, Alot of Walnut, Ash, Scraps, etc.

I have used my Router to "edge" material before as I have an RF3 fence and made shims for the outfeed side.

However, before Christmas my Uncle showed me his method, edge on TS, run material through planer, skim edge again. I did 175 Cedar boards from 1/2" to 3/8" x 4"x 25" and glued up some 10x25 planks with those. Worked flawless.

So, as I grew some balls and decided to resaw 4" + material on the TS after a simple edging, I have been resawing alot of material, and want to clean it up with a planer, and take the thickness down the remaining portion I left.

I guess, a Planer is more important right now. I was curious which would be better for my thickness issues, as resawing a 3/4" thick 8" wide board thats 21" long, gets to be a serious pucker moment, regardless of how much safety gear, feathers, clamps, or if im using a 17 ft push stick.

Comment

the 03/09 issue of wood magazine did an article about the relative functions of planers and joiners, specifically which tool does what best. that issue also included a tool test of popular 6" joiners. 12" jointer/planers were tested in the 07/09 issue with bench top planers tested in the 11/06 issue. HTH.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I think a Jointer is a must as a first purchase, but this might help too

http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-...tart-with.html
            Free woodworking plans

Comment

In my opinion you start with a planer. You can build a sled to "true" one face of your lumber then run the board through to flatten the opposite face. You can then use a jig on the table saw to true an edge and then rip to width.

Even though I have a jointer, I use this method quite often when processing boards that are too wide for my jointer.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                You can build a sled to "true" one face of your lumber then run the board through to flatten the opposite face.
                what would this sled look like?
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  what would this sled look like?
                  I don't have a picture of mine, but I built it around the concept of the one shown in this video:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill...e.aspx?id=5245

Comment

Working...
                  X