Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 vs Ryobi BT3100

Hi all -

I'm fairly new to woodworking, and am buying a table saw. I really love the TS3612 after looking at it at HD, and reading the latest review in American Woodworking. My problem, is that I have a pretty small work area. I didn't realize how large the TS3612 was until I actually measured it, and layed it out at home. Right now, it'd be a very tight fit for me, though I have the potential of freeing more space. I guess I'd like reassurance that a good table saw like the TS 3612 is worth the money and effort versus a cheaper saw like the Ryobi.

So, what separates the TS 3612 from the Ryobi and other cheaper, and more importantly, smaller table saws? Are the larger table saws worth the effort to fit in a shop?

(It looks like the TS 3612 is about 61 inches wide because of the rails, and 44 or so inches deep, including the motor. Am I wrong?)

Thanks.

Hello Scott and Welcome!

I am fairly new to woodworking also and just purchased a TS3612. It is replacing a benchtop type saw I have been using the last several months. I would encourage you to go with this saw over a smaller one. Here are some differences based on my experiences ...
    1. Yes the TS3612 is larger BUT it also much more stable!
    2. You get a larger working surface.
    3. Much better fence!
    4. Ability to cut 36" to right of the blade.
    5. MUCH smoother than benchtop
    6. More versatile

I was excited to have my benchtop when I started but it did not take long to realize the limitations of it ... very difficult to work with large pieces of wood, fence I could never get aligned, short arbor, etc. I do not think you would regret getting this saw. You can search the forum for more comments on the TS3612.

Again, welcome to the forum. There are a great group of guys here and they are very helpful.
    Alan
    My Shop

Comment

I understand the Ryobi has a universal motor and the 3612 is an induction. That difference alone is worth the extra room you'll squander with the 3612. The Ryobi has two belts and they are a bear to change according to those who have owned them and talked about them on the email lists that I'm on. To me the sliding table layout is in the way of where I stand to cut. The table is larger on the 3612 and is also all cast iron.

I could go on, but the gist is the 3612 is a much better design and will run circles around the Ryobi in performance cutting hardwoods.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Most definately go with the 3612. what you will sacrifice in room you will make up in versatility. and the fact that it is on casters makes it nice to move it out of your way if needed. in addition you can remove the guard (or leave it off like mine) and upon lowering the blade you have a very roomy work table.

i considered the bench top over the full size for similar reasons but realized ahead of time it probably would not allow me to do everything that i want to do. and i dont like buying things twice.

my only suggestion is to immeadiately upgrade the blade. although the ridgid blade it comes with is a quality blade, i found mine to dull pretty quickly and it didnt take long before i started to be unhappy with the end result. i went with and would recommend the CMT general blade. it seems to compliment this saw nicely (color aside but it is a close match),i did notice a big difference in the cut when i changed blades.

the one drawback i found is the zero clearence insert....a flimsy piece of plastic. this surprises me from ridgid.

if these reasons havent convinced you the customer support ridgid provides and lifetime warranty can not be beat.

you will be glad you went with the big one if you do, if you go with the bench top you may be happy in the beginning but i would be willing to bet that happiness quickly turns into regret for not buying the 3612.

welcome to the forum and good luck
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Another vote for the Rigid (and no hanging chads ). While the Ryobi is on the high-end of benchtop saws, being a Ryobi, I've read many complaints about alignment, getting parts, and the motor burning out. From a safety perspective, I simply don't like the short distance (about 8"), between the leading edge of the blade, and the operating position. Besides, to get much cutting capacity, you'd need to add extension and outfeed tables to the Ryobi, which may negate the space advantage.

I have an older Craftsman version of the 3612, with a 50" Biesemeyer fence. With this long extension table, I found I can save space by simply storing other tools under the extension table, when not in use. My dust collector fits nicely under the table, as does most of my jointer (exept for the fence top).
          Dave

Comment

I am in a somewhat unique position. I have a Ryobi BT3000 with which I have built several pieces of nice furniture. I can rely on it holding its alignment without any reservation. The sliding miter table is an excellent feature. The BT can routinely slice through 3 1/2 inch thick red oak without complaint. The noise level is not much higher than any other saw.

On the other hand, last summer (2001) I bought my son a Ridgid TS2412. This too is an excellent hobby level saw. I have used the Ridgid many times and find it also a joy to use. It too holds its alignment well.

The Ryobi can be configured to fit a smaller footprint if necessary. though I have added right end extension of about 60 inches and a fold away outfeed table. This of course could be done with the Ridgid if space allows.

For me the choice between the two is a difficult one, tipping slightly in favor of the Ridgid for its more traditional configuration.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

Comment

Welcome, Scott.

I had a BT3000 and used it to build two desks, a queen headboard, and a large computor station. I also burned up the motor. While this was totally my fault, I have done the same ripping operation on my Rigid TS2424 with no problems.

The Ryobi is a nice benchtop saw. If you like fiddling with tools. The miter gauge has to be reset every time it is removed, the slidingb table does not mount true each time, and the fence could be much better. It is also very prone to tipping when cutting large or long stock. I gave it away after spending $180 to replace the motor.

The TS2424 (predecessor to the 3612) is much more than a hobbiests saw. The moveable base is wonderful. I also have limited space and the extra space lost is easily acceptable.

Mac
              Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Mac had a good point when he said the Rigid was more than a hobbiest's saw. While I'm not knocking those who may refer to it as a hobbiest's saw, I agree---it's much more.

My old job used to take me into a lot of different types of businesses and of course, was always interested in their tools/machines.

Now, in a woodshop or the like, you'd see Deltas, PM's, etc., but in the businesses, where a table saw was needed, but incidental to the operation, I've seen a large number of Rigids and older Craftsman saws---all working very nicely, under much heavier use than any of us would do at home. Funny thing---never did see any Ryobis
                Dave

Comment

Check out Dave in Malanda, Au.

I have the highest respect for the TS2412 and the BT3000 likewise. I have not experienced the problems you have with the BT. I probably would think that a cab saw is the best ticket for a professional operation. I feel that the Ridgid and the BT3000 are ideal for a hobby woodworker which was the circumstance I perceived in the original question. I abhor flame wars. I apologize in advance for potentially starting one. There will not be further fuel from me in this thread.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. In the end, I ended up buying the Ryobi yesterday. I couldn't justify spending the extra $300 for the Ridgid, and taking up the extra space. Right now, the space was more an issue for me. Given the two, and enough room for either, I'd easily take Ridgid. The Ryobi is a lot nicer then any of the other 'small' table saws I looked at, beating other benchtops, more then worth the $300 I think. I feel that at this point, as someone new to woodworking also, that the better saw may be lost on me somewhat as well. I'm most likely going to have the same quality results with either, while I learn for a while.

Thank you again. I'm still a little torn, and may end up bring the Ryobi back if there is anything I don't like about it. If I can figure out how to make more room as well then perhaps. The Ryobi is bigger then I had thought as well.

Comment

I just bought the 3612 and wish that I would have got the 2424 for the same reason that you mention: the space. I don't know if there is that much difference between the two to take up the extra 12"

Comment

Working...
                      X