Unisaw assembly and setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unisaw assembly and setup

Can you rig up a swing up extention table and legs off the rear of the saw? when not in use it would be nice just to fold the legs up with the extention table. I can't see the rear of the saw so I cant say it would work or not.
    Good to here you fired this badboy up, did you get it all squared and tuned up ready for action.

Cheers
    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Glen L View Post
      Can you rig up a swing up extention table and legs off the rear of the saw? when not in use it would be nice just to fold the legs up with the extention table. I can't see the rear of the saw so I cant say it would work or not.
      Good to here you fired this badboy up, did you get it all squared and tuned up ready for action.

Cheers
      Glen
      Well yes of course I can. I had a fold down outfeed table on my last saw. That's not what this is about. This outfeed tables' overall dimensions are slightly more than my last table, and before I commit to building something I want to try out the size in the shop and see how it works for me. I don't need it to fold down for that. And as I said, I am debating to make it a assembly table about 48" square that I line up behind the saw, or a true folding outfeed table connected to the saw. I also have to work out where and how I will add a router table.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

So far I am thinking I can shorten my outfeed table by about 6.5" and gain a little maneuvering room in the shop without affecting the outfeed tables usefulness. If I cut the 6.5" off the end of the table I would still have 50" behind the blade at full height which should be more than enough. That 6.5" will allow me to put my jointer in roughly the same location as I had it with the TS-3650 so that would be good.

I have been thinking about what is different between the two saws other than the cabinet.

One thing that I miss is the IND-I-CUT™ on the 3650. That feature first appeared on Craftsman table saws when Emerson was manufacturing them many years ago (I had it on my early 80s Craftsman TS) and it has been on all the RIDGID saws as far as I know except maybe the granite top saw. I guess it would be possible to duplicate this feature to an extent but not nearly as conveniently. When changing blades this was a handy and useful feature that allows you to know exactly where the edge of the blade is no matter how thick it is.

The 3HP motor on the Delta spins up to 4300 RPM. My line voltage runs a little on the high side here so I have ~245V which gives it a little more kick. This was of help with the 3650 as the voltage was 124 so I had a bit more oomph than if my line voltage was say 115 or 118. When the Unisaw fires up that blade jumps to life! I thought it might be nice to have a soft start to mitigate the stress on the belts and other moving parts. Taking the drive belts from zero to 4300 RPM in less than a second has got to stress them in some way. Still, I can place a nickle on its side and start it up without knocking the nickle over, but if you put your hand on the table top (in a safe place of course) when you start it up you can feel the whole 650 pound saw jump a bit. At least it feels that way to me. Part of that might be because i have it sitting in a mobile base so it does not have as much contact with the floor. The saw is suspended on the two wheels and two feet instead of the entire base for 360°.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 03-06-2011, 06:24 AM.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Bob,

It's a real beauty indeed, congrats on the purchase, my keyboard has drool all over it...

Question for you, what made you go Unisaw? Did you consider a SawStop for instance?

Thanks
          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-3.14 View Post
            Bob,

It's a real beauty indeed, congrats on the purchase, my keyboard has drool all over it...

Question for you, what made you go Unisaw? Did you consider a SawStop for instance?

Thanks
            Tim
            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=sawstop

Read through this thread about the SawStop misfires. I like the SawStop technology and the added level of safety it can give. However their main selling feature is the brake system and how its designed to the Nth degree. If that was the case why does it misfire at times and ruin your blade and require you to buy a new brake cartridge? A misfire results in a minimum of three costs;
            1. new brake cartridge required before you can use saw again.
            2. need a new blade
            3. a ruined workpiece

These are all trivial I know compared to the expense and lifelong inconvenience of losing a finger or piece of one. But I still can't see myself paying the premium they want for the SawStop brake system. Their saws are very nicely built and look to be a quality product from the short time I have peeked and poked at them at the shows and on display at the store. If it was Made in America that would help sway me a bit and If they did not want so much for the SawStop compared to other saws yes maybe I could see myself buying one. But I have made my choice and chose the Unisaw and I don't think it will be wearing out anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

But I still can't see myself paying the premium they want for the SawStop brake system.
              i'm just curious about the price comment. when wood magazine tested cabinet saws in the 05/2010 issue, they noted a $3300 price for the unisaw and a $3000 price for the sawstop professional. i always thought SS's charge for the brake system would make them the more expensive saw.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Currently, and when I bought my saw in December, the 3HP Unisaw w/36" fence can be had for 2874.00
                Last edited by Bob D.; 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

The 3hp SawStop w/ a 52" table is $3000, but you will need a spare brake cartridge ($70) and a brake cartridge for a dado blade ($90). Want a ZCI or two? $40 each. And I don't think you can make your own since they incorporated the lock down system (but I may be wrong about that).

Adds up in a hurry.

Comment

Unisaw bonus mini router gloat

Yesterday I came home to find the bonus part of my Unisaw purchase...A Delta 450PK 1.25 Hp Compact router. Delta was giving away their new mini router with a standard and a plunge base if you purchased a Unisaw by Dec 30, 2010. I filled out the paperwork and got it postmarked by 1/31/11 and now I have a new router.

Comment

Well I am as I said before disappointed with the accessory drawer that came with my Unisaw. So I have been thinking about building my own set of drawers. I'm still mulling it around in my head at this point but I'm thinking that I want a drawer dedicated to holding saw blades. But I think I will make some narrow slots (about 1/4") for each blade to sit in with about an inch between them so you have room to grab a blade with your fingers. I'd also like space to hold my dado set as well as the arbor wrench and the extra arbor nut that comes with the saw. The standard nut has an integral washer on it that you can't separate (or lose). The extra is just a nut to use with dado blades and will let you mount a full dado stack on the arbor and still have full thread engagement.

In the other drawers I would have room for my tenon jig, miter gauge, push sticks, etc. I'm waiting on the router table from woodpeck to show up and see how it will all go together.

Comment

So here is what I had time to put together today. Been real busy at work so no time in the evenings or on
                        Saturday to get in the shop.

This will come back out to get the drawers fitted, then I plan to paint the exterior black to match the saw.
                        I have some black Formica (which I hope I have enough of) which I plan to use to cover the drawer fronts
                        with. If not I'll get some more. I'd like to cover the outfeed table with it too but I'm afraid if I do any more
                        to this "temporary" outfeed table it will morph into something that is semi-permanent and I will never get
                        around to building another. Already I have built a couple legs for it cause I needed my RIDGID FlipTop stands
                        the other day. I was using a pair of them to hold up the table at first.

Name:  2d86df0dc552b5373838f513b9b65d82.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  496.9 KB

It doesn't look it but there is plenty of room between the handwheel and the drawers for hand clearance. the
                        drawers also do not protrude as far forward as the handwheels do.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 03-06-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Added a router table to my Unisaw

I am adding a Woodpeckers router table and lift to my Unisaw to the right of the extension table. I'm mulling over how to fasten it to the saw and to brace it back to the extension table legs or add a couple more legs running straight down to the floor. I am trying to stay away from the latter option as I would rather not have to deal with the foot obstruction when I am wanting to concentrate on on what I am doing on the topside of the table with the bit spinning at 21,000 RPM. If I use braces there will be nothing in my way on the floor.

I'm now looking at various fence systems for the router table. Woodpeckers has some nice ones yes but the Kreg fence looks interesting. It's design is similar to a T-square TS fence. I also am looking at the JessEm Rout-R-Fence. Right now I am leaning toward the Kreg. If anyone has any of these fences or another they can recommend please let me hear about it.

Comment

This is a great thread Bob,SWEET saw.
                            What I would do is add one of these http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=jig%20parts cut in half with a 2" gap in the middle to the right side of Your Biser.Then plane a piece of rock Maple 1 1/2" thick cut it in half and attach it to the extrusion with sliding T-bolts and UHMW Poly as the face 3/4" min.thickness.I'm not to pleased with My 1/2" face on mine.It Will be upgraded,soon.

Please see My present one below.
                            Jim
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jim,

That's a great setup you have on your 3650 (or is it a 3660). I thought about something that attached to my TS fence but then if I had a setup for routing I would lose it to use the fence with the TS. Since my fence only travels to the end of the rail it will not traverse over the router table which is hanging off the extreme right end of the saw's extension table. To replace the included extension table with a router table would mean I would lose the space below for the storage cabinet I am building.

I have the table mounting worked out and need to finish the support for underneath. This weekend if I have time I want to look for a fence or I will order one online.

I am thinking of replacing the faces on my Biesemeyer fence with UHMW. I think the stock fence faces just slide off, haven't looked at them yet to figure it out. There are no visible screws in the faces.

Comment

Hey,Bob
                                I see your predicament.Were it Me
                                ,I would lower the storage to get that router mounted on
                                that right wing.Then again I spend alot of time walking in circles looking for stuff in My mess.

I have worked in NJ since 1980.I'd be happy to fab up extensions for Your fence if You decide to go further right.

Ya I have a 3650 in the garage and a 3660 in the basement.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X