Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unisaw assembly and setup

bump
    A revisit and I need to alert You Bob,that the thickness tolerances of plastic sheeting can exceed .250",through
    a sheet.So check the tolerances of Your supplier carefully.
    Jim

Comment

Well, I said it would happen and it did. I wanted to try out the water based laminate adhesive so I put some down on the "temporary" outfeed table top.

Came out OK but I'll wait a bit and see how it holds up for a couple days.

Attachment
      Attached Files
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

conduct the symphony.
        It's sweet

Comment

Unisaw blade angle stop adjustments

I decided to check the angle stops on my Unisaw with the Wixey digital angle gauge and with a square to the table top. I was curious as I had last checked the stop settings during setup 5 months ago but had no reason to suspect they might have changed.

Since the stops were right on out of the crate I had never adjusted them so I decided to give them a try. They are just as easy as the table top stops on my old TS-3650. you use the blade wrench to make the adjustments beneath the table on the front of the cabinet. This works well as you are right there to view the big 5" dial indicator for the blade angle. It's a simple matter to tweak the stop and crank the blade back toward the 90 or 45 travel stop and then look at the indicator to see the indicated angle and check it with the Wixey in this case while calibrating. Took about 3 minutes.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Re: Unisaw blade angle stop adjustments

Today I finally got the drawer fronts mounted on my cabinet.
            Still need to work on the dividers inside the drawers.

Attachment

Above the drawers you can see my two sleds which I found this wide but short space between the bottom of the table top and the top of the cabinet to be a handy spot to store them. They are close at hand and lay flat. Since this is basically dead space otherwise it works great for storing the cutoff sleds.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bob D.; 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

very nicely done.good as that unisaw is reported to be, looks like you're making it even better.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Blade Storage Drawer

Worked on the insert for the blade storage drawer this weekend.
                I made space for 9 blades in the one drawer which should be more than enough.
                Unlike the supplied drawer there is no metal to worry about banging or chiping
                the blades on. The layers of 1/2 and 1/4 plywood are just friction fit snug in the drawer so I can easily rearrange them if need be.

I started out with 1/2" spacing between blades but quickly saw this would not be enough. So I added another 1/4 or 1/2 inch between each blade and reduced the number of blade slots from 12 to 9.

In the other top drawer is the arbor nut wrench, my throat plates and other accessories.
                In the back of the blade drawer are some TS accessories and some bits for the router table as this is the closest drawer to that end of the table.

Attachment
                Attached Files
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Re: Blade Storage Drawer

good looking drawer insert. how did you create the slots for the blades? was plywood kerfed by raising a spinning blade into it or piecing parts together? i always wanted a better way to store my blades and that looks like just the ticket. thanks.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Re: Blade Storage Drawer

I started with 11.5 inch squares in 1/2" and 1/4" plywood which I cut
                    in half to make rectangles. But before I cut the 1/4" in half I drew a
                    10-1/4" dia circle centered on the square.

The I took the 1/4" pieces and stacked them up into two stacks each
                    about 1.5" thick and pinned them together with some brads in the waste
                    area inside the circle. I then cut the semi-circle out of each stack on the
                    bandsaw. When the 1/4" ply pieces are layered in between the 1/2" ply
                    pieces it creates the semi circle spaces for the blades.

As I said I started with a 1/2" space between each blade but this proved
                    to not be enough to grasp the blade comfortably so I added another 1/4"
                    to give a 3/4" space which is enough. To make it fit snugly in the drawer
                    width I used a couple pieces of 1/2" ply to get the right width which is why
                    the spacing is not consistent if you look closely at the photo. None of the
                    pieces of plywood are fastened to anything so I can reconfigure it as I see fit.

Here's another photo with the rest of my blades in the drawer. Two
                    of the blades are for my RAS which I normally have a 3/4" dado stack
                    setup in which makes for fast and easy dados without having to swap
                    blades on the TS. It's about the only action the RAS sees any more.

Attachment
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-09-2011, 07:20 AM. Reason: added photo
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

OK, there is definitely something wrong with the search engine on this site. I just spent close to 20 minutes using various searches to find this thread I started last January about setting up my Unisaw, and I did not find it. I searched for Unisaw in the thread title, in the post themselves, tried searching for Unisaw and my user name, tried scrolling through the list of ALL threads I had started since 2003, and still nothing, not even in the list of threads I had started, I looked through the list twice, can't believe I missed it both time but I guess I could.

So to find it I went to Google and searched on ONLY what I knew the title of the thread is "Unisaw assembly and setup", and sure enough, in a fraction of a second I had a link to my thread.

So why is it Google knows where the thread is but the search index in the forum doesn't. And why does it not show up when I do a listing of all my threads. And why when viewing the list of threads I started are they not sorted by the date the thread was started on? Is there a manual list of words that the search engine is blocked from indexing? It almost seems that way at times. I know I am not the first to bring up the shortcomings of the search function, I have been talking about it for better than a year now, but it does not improve as I think we were led to believe it would when the index was 'lost' during the last forum software 'upgrade'.

So to prove its not just me or my computer could someone try searching for this thread and see if you get a hit? The only hit I got was to a thread I started a couple years ago when it was first announced that Delta was going to build the next gen Unisaw here in the USA.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

I used the Advanced Search and tried to find this thread by searching by its title, no luck. Yesterday, I tried to look something else up and was also frustrated when I couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for the Google tip though.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                        X