X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisaw assembly and setup

This thread will document assembly, setup, and mods to my new Unisaw, model 36-L336.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6fd02fb43ba3f146b1883643e377d39c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	12544
    deck cleared for action.

Name:	1212eabfe6963c7759db8d43e4f794be.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	12545
    Cardboard box removed, saw still anchored to pallet.

Name:	13f7b88d391e66e84f912bf61e8cad7a.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	12548
    Bare Unisaw sitting in mobile base. In the background you
    can see some of the boxes containing the rest of the saw.
    The fence rails, fence, table board, and drawer come in separate
    boxes. Five boxes in all complete the shipment.

So how did I get the 550 pounds of saw off the pallet and into
    the mobile base by myself without a trip to the hospital?

Do you know?

Just finished watching the included DVD which goes over the complete
    assembly of the Unisaw. It is about 26 minutes long and takes you
    through the whole process from lifting the saw off the pallet (oops, I
    jumped the gun and have this part done already ), to adjusting the
    bevel dial indicator and the bevel travel stops. In a manner similar to the
    TS-3650, the 0 and 45 bevel stops can be adjusted from the front of the
    cabinet, the TS-3650 adjustments are done from up top using two set
    screws accessed through the table top, a nice and easy way. The Unisaw
    is just about as easy, you adjust them using two adjustments nuts on the
    front of the saw, no need to crawl inside.

The DVD also includes about a dozen short videos with Scott Phillips showing
    off the various features of the saw. You may have seen these on the web on
    YouTube or other sites. Another section of the DVD has a copy of the Power
    Tool Safety Institutes' table saw safety video.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Unisaw assembly and setup

BobD, Take your time and enjoy the assembly experience. I know we always can't wait to fire it up.

A beaut of a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      So how did I get the 550 pounds of saw off the pallet and into
      the mobile base by myself without a trip to the hospital?

Do you know?
      First you popped a can of spinach then proceeded to lift the saw up with one hand while moving the pallet out of the way with the other. That's how I would have done it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Wish I had the room for this saw. It sure is a thing of beauty

Cheers
        Glen

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          First you popped a can of spinach then proceeded to lift the saw up with one hand while moving the pallet out of the way with the other. That's how I would have done it.
          Close Dave, but in between downing the can of spinach and lifting the saw one-handed I rigged a tripod and chainfall over the saw, THEN I lifted it one-handed (one hand pulling on the fall) and slid the pallet out with the other hand. Then I rolled the mobile base under the saw and lowered it down nice and easy. No muss, no fuss.

Name:	fce9c2a999aa4d0d2d08b61c5f1bd348.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	12555
          You'll see some 3/8" poly line that I used to tie the tripod legs to each other so they couldn't slip out under load. I also loaded the chainfall and lifted the saw with the pallet still attached about an inch off the floor and let it hang for 5 minutes just to be sure it would hold. Then I set it back down and removed the lag screws holding the pallet to the saw. When I lifted the saw again I only had to get it high enough to slide the pallet out, the mobile base is about an 2 inches shorter than the pallet so it rolled into place nicely.

Cato - I am in no hurry. There is no pending project at this time that I need the saw for. Pretty much my whole shop is a turmoil as I have everything shoved against one wall to make room to put it all together. Between the saw and the mobile base, there were 7 boxes parts and sub-assemblies of varying sizes. I should get it all together by this weekend unless we get more snow tomorrow than forecast, then I will have some extra work with the snowblower.

Here are a couple other photos from when I first opened the box.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bob D.; 01-20-2011, 10:35 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Last night I got the saw about 95% assembled. I have to tweak a few connections like the wings to the saw and the extension table to the wing to get them as flush as I would like and then check everything for square and make any adjustments needed.

The only issue with the hardware so far is the hardware package with the mounting screws for the power switch had the wrong size flange nuts. Luckily I had the correct ones in my hardware cabinet. Otherwise this would have been a show stopper as it would be difficult if not impossible to mount the switch with the front rail installed. At first I kept coming up with extra screws and nuts and washers of various sizes. I went back and checked the hardware list and I had the correct number, but still had one or two left over. Then I figured out that they use the same hardware packages for both table sizes, the 36" (mine) and the 52". The latter needing additional fasteners for some connections. SO I have a few extra nuts and bolts, but I was wondering for a couple minutes there. I didn't see anything in the assembly notes about this, you have to figure it out on your own I guess. Otherwise the assembly instructions are very good. The illustrations are clear and the wording is comprehensible. You don't have to translate from Chinese-English to English.

Name:	f261e0dca3a07029ca00aa121d771d0b.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	12582 Click image for larger version

Name:	0c5991fb34e106ce1acfbf2a4726cdbd.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	12583 Click image for larger version

Name:	98945a21869e309a6b34dda1206438f8.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	12584 Click image for larger version

Name:	7d9308749c8a48c86edeaac6b41e5926.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	12586 Click image for larger version

Name:	0b3231fc9edad3cab092596246307fdd.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	12587

A pair of RIDGID Flip-Top stands made attaching the CI wings easy.

On the underside of the wings you can see one of two setscrews near the bottom
            of the joint used to level the wings. With the mounting bolts loose the setscrews
            can be adjusted to bring the top of the wing inline with the saw top.

I chose this time to apply two coats of wax to all the machined CI surfaces.
            It was easier to do before the rails were mounted.

Then it will be time to work on running 220 to the new saw.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Looking real good there. You know you are the envy of most of us here, I guess! Congratulations to you, and I really mean it. I talk through clenched teeth all the time

As you mentioned the mobile base, are you also planning to put extra 220 outlets so you can rearrange where you use it? Wall outlets or ceiling drops?

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I will have a 220 pendant at the right rear corner like I did for my TS-3650 (but that was 120V). The only reason I got the mobile base was so I could move the saw if I had to get some more room to operate another tool or for assembly. I do not plan on moving the saw much as all, it will just make it easier if/when I do.

Name:	a6cb27b9f591ee57efc81df28fef3d9d.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	12590
                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-21-2011, 10:23 PM.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

beautiful saw. It may be a little above my pay grade though, but it is definitley above my skill level. A guy can dream though!!!

Comment

Thanks all. I have been saving for a cabinet saw for the past couple years. Yeah I could have gone out and bought it on credit any time I wanted but I prefer to have the money in my pocket so when I buy something like this I don't have to sweat how I'm going to pay for. So I saved what I could each week and I also have my change jar (in this case jars). I usually save all my change each day tossing it in a 2# coffee can and cashing it in each year to buy a new tool for the shop or in this case I saved for three years worth of change to accumulate over $950 to put toward the saw. I have found over the years that a 2# coffee can holds about 200 to 250 dollars in mixed change. So I took all the change that I have saved (since the new Unisaw was first announced back in 2008) to the bank and used their coin machine to count it up and deposit to my account. That plus some Christmas cash and what I got for my TS-3650 gave me most of what I needed. I threw in the rest out of pocket and made the purchase.

I have acquired most of the tools in my shop by saving my change every day. the LOML gave me a good portion of the rest as presents for birthdays, Christmas, or anniversaries. Took 7 years to accumulate all the tools in my shop now. I am well past the tool selection I had in my old shop 25 years ago (except for the shaper). I don't have as much room as my old shop, that took up the whole basement of my old house, ~1800 SF, but I have enough to do what I want to do now.

Back then i was restoring a 3 story, 27 room, house built in 1905. It took all my time evenings and weekends for a number of years to complete all the work on that home. I did all the plumbing of course as well as rewiring the whole house and all the carpentry work. But it turned out great and I made a good buck on the sale which compensated me for all the sweat equity.

So now I just play around making furniture and what have you and turning some stuff on the lathe.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Bob, looking really good and I can see you are close to firing it up.

Comment

Thanks. I'm working on it but it's been so stinking cold here
                        (+6°F this morning) I don't feel like getting out there in that
                        cold this evening. I'll work on what I can in the shop in the
                        evenings and save the cold work for this weekend when it
                        will be warmer during the day. The front half of the garage
                        is not heated so its no better than being outside.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

I hear you on the cold and feel extremely fortunate that our basement garage is heated and cooled.

Back half has a partition wall from front half and is very comfortable. Front half with the garage doors, can get a little cooler, but never really uncomfortable.

In the coldest weather I have a little oil filled electric heater that I cut on and makes it totally comfortable to work in.

Spring will be here before you know it and sawdust will be rolling out of that Unisaw big time.

Comment

today I finished the electrical work and tested everything . so after verifying all my wiring , I fired it up for the first time . big difference in power over my old saw.

now its time to start on the outfeed table .
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Trial Outfeed Table

I took a half sheet of 3/4" ply and made a quick and dirty outfeed table so I could try out the size. I'm not sure if this will be big enough or maybe too big for the shop. I would certainly like to have a 48" deep and 60" wide outfeed table, but my shop won't support that with all the other tools. I like to keep my planer and jointer set up and ready to go so I can process rough material without having to pause to setup a tool or break one down or roll it out of the way to use another. The other tools in the shop are not used as often and they can be rolled out of the way.

Name:	57e2c61769256c80934c5e52b9ba6893.jpg
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	12665

I didn't even build legs for this temporary outfeed table, I just used a couple FlipTop stands to support the back end and secured the front to the back rail on the Unisaw.

This year I need to really think about the tool layout and work flow. I think I need to get some stuff out of there and make more room. My mechanics roll about tool box and some other tools can move out to the front of the garage. I am toying with moving the lathe into the basement which would free space in the shop and give me something to do in the winter without having to heat the shop. I've also got a bunch of boxes of junk on shelves in the garage from when we last moved that I need to go through and toss most of it.

I'd like to make make an assembly table that will double as my outfeed table. Position it behind the TS and have storage underneath, and make it adjustable so I can level it with the saw top. Maybe make the top of the table a 3" torsion box for rigidity, and cover it with black Formica to match the Unisaw side table.

I also want to make some storage under that extension table. Right now my plan is something that will rest on the mobile base and take out the supplied drawer that came with the Unisaw. I don't think much of that drawer anyway. They should have left it off and dropped the price a couple hundred. When you watch the promo videos it appears to be a wood drawer. But what comes now is metal. The dividers inside are nothing to write home about. The blade storage is not the best layout either as the blades in the back of the drawer are difficult to remove without banging into the underside of the extension table or the sides of the metal drawer. So I am thinking of taking it off altogether and making a bank of 6 drawers with one dedicated to blade storage and the rest used for things like miter gages, push sticks, tenon jig, my dado set, and feather boards.

My dust collector (a 1-1/2HP, 1200CFM Delta Model 50-850A) is barely enough to put a good draw on the saw and grab the sawdust. Being a full cabinet I expected better dust control. But the 3HP, 4300 RPM motor really slings the sawdust off the top of the blade. I am running a 4" system throughout the shop and that probably drops my flow a bit vice a 5 or 6" system. I looked underneath and inside the cabinet and found there are many 'leaks' as in corners of the cabinet that are not sealed and the entire underside of the CI table to the cabinet has a gap around on all four sides that is about 1/4" wide which adds up to better than 12 sq/in. That's a big hole that is taking in air which does not collect sawdust. Also the corners of the cabinet are notched out for the four table mounting bolts to provide clearance and room to shift the table for alignment. At each corner behind the socket head bolt is a hole about 1" square. I am thinking about covering all these 'leaks' with some tape to see if dust collection improves any.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 01-30-2011, 06:28 PM.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X