where can I find a ZCI for a Ridgid 4511

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can I find a ZCI for a Ridgid 4511

Hello again, looking for a zci for a 4511, I have had no luck finding one for a dado stack or a single blade. You guys have all the answers, if saws were cars I'd be alot better off. Thanks for your help.

Re: where can I find a ZCI for a Ridgid 4511

Originally posted by woodlum View Post
    Hello again, looking for a zci for a 4511, I have had no luck finding one for a dado stack or a single blade. You guys have all the answers, if saws were cars I'd be alot better off. Thanks for your help.
    Plane/find a piece of Oak. Use your back plate as a template and route the Oak with a trimmer bit. Buy some small set screws that fit tight if you want adjustment screws. Made a few and they work fine.
    Bring you blade up slowly with a piece of wood over your new ZCI, clamp the whole works down of course.

You can buy a Dado plate from Ridgid.

Comment

Woodcraft sells them. The R4511 and Steel City model they sell are the same. Wife got me one for Xmas last year, came with leveling screws and is phenolic surface.

Cheaper to make your own obviously, but I didn't argue with not having to.

Comment

make several, use the origional as a pattern. Piece of cake!!

Comment

i make my own from 1/4" mdf. there are several videos on the web covering how they are made. here are two:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/...arance-insert/

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/178/...arance-insert/

i do two things a little differently than the videos do. when cutting the saw kerf, i place teh ZCI in the throat and clamp it to the saw table using a piece of scrap. the idea of misjudging where the fence is and bringing the blade up into the fence is not a pleasant thought.

second, when routing the ZCI to finished size on the router table, i use a few strips if 1/8" masonite between the original throat plate and the ZCI. this eliminates the possibility of the router bit cutters hitting the original insert.

usually, for the cost of a pre-made insert, you can make several on your own, dedicating a ZCI to each blade in your blade arsenal. HTH.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

It really makes no sense to buy one when they're so ridiculously easy to make on your own. When I make them, I make a dozen or more, leave the extras uncut, then when I need one for a combination of dado blades I haven't made before, I can just cut a new one. Label each one with what blade combination it's for and you're set for a long time.

It always strikes me as absurd that in a hobby where we make things with wood, people would rather buy something made out of plastic than... make something with wood.

Comment

do some searching on the 'net and here on the forums, and find one of many helpful threads or videos on making your own ZCIs. Then go to your scrap pile and locate some ZCIs that are trapped inside a piece of wood anad free them.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
              X