X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums, how the info helps

While cruseing my usesual forums, I came across a post on the Wood Net forum about Hand Planes. I read the posts, which got me thinking about hand planes and how I could use them in my projects.
    I remembered I had a few planes in my shop that were in the house when I got it, but never bothered to check. I went out to the shop at 2:00 am to check them out.They turned out to be a Stanley #5, dated 1862,in perfect condition, A stanley 110, and a Stanley "Handyman".
    Before reading this post, I knew nothing about hand planes.
    I sharpened the blade.....I mean Iron...., on the 110 and used it to plane the doors on the kitchen cabinets I'm building. They now fit perfect. I used to sand them to fit.
    I'd like to let everyone know the simplest post can open a hole new world of workworking to someone.
    I'm now shopping for a Stanley #4 on E-bay.
    Thanks for everything,
    Rob Johnson
    Orange,Ca.

[ 06-02-2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Be careful about how deeply you get into old planes! I got a couple from my FIL two months back. Decided to clean them up, as per posts on WoodNet, particularly from Rarebear. The collection has now increased to seven...it can be very addictive...getting them from markets, e-bay, swaps, cleaning them up, replacing parts and bringing them back to razor edged performance. And all this, on those old Bailey's for $30-$40, real habit forming.

You know the next move, you then begin trading and spend more time buying, fixing and selling than WW'ing!!

David

Comment

David,
      Too late....It's already started.....There so beautiful, such Craftsmanship...
      I'm bidding on three planes now on E-Bay.....
      I need help!!!
      Rob Johnson
      Orange,Ca.

[ 06-02-2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]

Comment

Be careful how much you clean them up. Many people collect planes strictly as collector items and not tools. The things you do to "improve" the condition may be reducing the value.

Best regards,

Henry Anthony

Comment

yeah. i was in need of a good plane and came across an old bailey#3 at a yard sale. dated between 1910 and 1918 according to the web and markings on the plane itself...it was a hell of a find for three bucks

i am not looking to retain monetary value...i am looking to be able to restore this plane for use

more of a user than a collector

some rust but the wooden handles are perfect...as is the surface of the shoe

cant wait to put this plane to the wood

ed
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I also want to use them.
            I was off work yesterday so spent time looking up the old planes at the link David supplied over at woodnet.
            Cleaned them up and now there ready to go to work.
            Think I'll restore the #5 I inherited with the house. Some of the parts are supposed to be nickle plated, but the plating is long gone. I've been having window hardware replated for my house I'm restoring, so I'll just throw these in with the next batch.
            Scored a #4 at E-bay yesterday for $9.95.
            Now, all I need is a #7!
            Rob Johnson
            Orange,CA.

Comment

Because of my space limitations, I don't have a planer or a jointer. What I did, instead, was to purchase three handplanes with the hopes of being able to duplicate some functions of those two machines. I have a Stanley 60 1/2 (which I use for easing join lines and smoothing, a No. 5 that I got off of Ebay which is also used frequently for reducing stock thickness, and a monster No. 7 which I haven't used as much (and No, Rob, I'm not selling it!).

It's still taking me some time to get the hang of them but I am beginning to see the results (i.e. starting will higher grit sandpaper) and producing a more handcrafted appearing and less manufactured look which I love. It also helped me because I had to teach myself (through research) how to sharpen hand tools such as plane irons and chisels and acquire the necessary equipment to do so.

Power tools are awesome, no doubt, but there is something to be said for the woodworking involving these tools. Hell, I'm anxiously waiting on a Japanese dovetail saw, some scrapers, more chisels, and other items without a power cord attached in hopes of methodically and, by hand, making wood chunks and ribbons as opposed to dust.

Good Luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

You mean I shouldn't hook up DC up to the #5???
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,CA.

Comment

Working...
                X