Current Project.....Duplicating a Router Cabinet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Project.....Duplicating a Router Cabinet

I need a proper router table/cabinet. Hey, we all need drawers for bits we try to get our wives to let us buy.

So, I bought the NYW router plans, and was not really impressed with it, the concept that is, I never built it.

So, while looking, and searching, I found one I liked.
    Only, the cabinet was 500.00, and its sold by Woodhaven.

Didnt want to spend the money, and didnt want to make anything as I am kinda tired of making/repairing tools, jigs, etc and just started buying new stuff instead of, well anyway....

I took some paper, size of my fence, etc etc and spent a day with tape in hand, and I guess drawing up plans for duplicating this one, but to my needs and my space.

This past week I found a ton of 5/8 MDF in the clearance bin at HD, all various sizes, probably 3 sheets worth. I bought all of it, pain 11.00 for it.

Last night I cut all the mdf, ran the dados with my nice new shiny Frued Pro Dado set, and 20 minutes ago I assembled for the dry fit...

Ive made my routers tops in the past, using 2 sheets 2x4' 3/4" mdf glued up, then soaking in Watco, then soaking melted johnsons wax, then buffing with an 11,000 rpm industrial car buffer. a surface so slick, you dont dare rest your hand on it.

However, kinda thinking about buying a top now, stray cat got in garage one night, pissed all over my table top, ruined it as I didnt notice it till I believe a week later, which is why I am even here at this point.

I am thinking of maybe putting a veneer on it, or maybe getting some 1/4" luan and doing that, not sure yet. hopefully tonight I get the doors/drawers built, vacuum stuff, wiring laid out/etc before glue up, so I know if I will even bother with a veneer, otherwise, either a coat of wax, or maybe a coat of watco.

Yeah, thats my Pinnacle RF3 fence, I love that thing, weighs a metric ton, solid fence, and the first one I ever had, will never replace it, especially as it's 36" wide.

Re: Current Project.....Duplicating a Router Cabinet

Great looking cabinet.

Finding those cutoff and scraps really lowered the cost. When you get the drawers and doors on it should have plenty of weight and lots of stability.

Comment

Re: Current Project.....Duplicating a Router Cabinet

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
      Great looking cabinet.

Finding those cutoff and scraps really lowered the cost. When you get the drawers and doors on it should have plenty of weight and lots of stability.

ha ha, weight it has. and to be honest, its pretty stable even now without glue.

I would have used 3/4 oak ply to make this, but thought id try the mdf. I am actually going to make another one, but instead of the 3 door sections, ill put 2 drawers in place, for a total of 12 drawers. Ill use some ply for that as its meant for my sons room.

Comment

Working...
      X