X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax for saw tables??

Hi Y'all, another question... Is minwax ok for saw and planer tables, etc.. My saw is a 4511 with a granite top, not so much worried about that one, but for the B/S and the J/P with cast iron tables, what is good to use? I have some minwax for wood. You guys will tire of my elementary questions, so I apologize in advance... Thanks again.

Re: wax for saw tables??

Woodlum,

Absolutely no need to apologize... that's what the forum is for! I doubt that there are any of us that haven't had to ask a few questions.

Main thing with "wax" is to make sure it's does not contain silicone, which most "automotive" type wax does. Minwax for wood should be very good, I would think. I see "Johnson's" paste wax recommended often, but I have yet to find it anywhere. It used to be a stock item in many grocery stores, but I think the days of "waxing" the furniture with paste-wax is long gone... probably right along with clothe's lines.

Personally I use "Butcher's" paste wax, but I don't find it around either. Fortunately I have a couple of cans.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

yea, I have tried to find johnsons wax because I was told it works very well, but have had NO luck finding it, then I saw BOB D and his sexy new Unisaw and noticed the butchers wax you're talking about, but I can't find that either. I will give the minwax a go and see how it does. Thanks CWSmith.

Comment

I use Johnson's paste wax on my R4511, jointer, and planer bed.

Lowe's carries it in the section where they have household cleaners.

Comment

Johnson's Paste Wax (in the yellow can) here too. I found it at Wal-Mart a while back and have seen it there since as well. Works great for cast iron surfaces. Be sure to rub/buff it out, or it will gum up a bit. Works great for waxing the hardwood runners on sleds for the table saw as well.
          Pete
          My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
          http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use Minwax because at the time I needed it, I could not find Johnson's anywhere in town. I have had good luck with it, although I need to be more diligent about application over time.....
            Mike

Comment

I would think that if some of the Wal-Mart's carry Johnson's Paste Wax then all of them should have access to it. If you can't find it at your local Wally World ask a manager if they can't special order it in for you. A can will go a long ways as I wax my TS, BS, Jointer, Router Table, Planer Tables and Belt/Disc Sander 3 or 4 times a yeas and my current can is 7 or 8 years old and still has about 15% left in it.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Home Depot carries Johnson's, same as Lowe's, in the cleaning products aisle. In case that's not obvious, my HD has broom, trashcans & mops in the same aisle. Half of that aisle is taken up with the cans & bottles of cleaning materials (bleaches, waxes, polishes, solvents etc). The wax comes in a yellow can about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches high. On the top shelf in my HD. Took me ages to find it too!

Can looks like this:

Best part about JPW is the very pleasant smell it leaves. Smells all nice & clean.

Comment

I will buy some soon. I must wax much more often than that with the Minwax...
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                    Home Depot carries Johnson's, same as Lowe's, in the cleaning products aisle. In case that's not obvious, my HD has broom, trashcans & mops in the same aisle. Half of that aisle is taken up with the cans & bottles of cleaning materials (bleaches, waxes, polishes, solvents etc). The wax comes in a yellow can about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches high. On the top shelf in my HD. Took me ages to find it too!

Can looks like this:

Best part about JPW is the very pleasant smell it leaves. Smells all nice & clean.
                    I happened to be at HD this afternoon and checked this out and Roadster280 nailed it. Sitting right there on the self in the cleaning supplies aisle were about a half dozen cans of JPW, $6.97 +tax.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in HD or Lowe's. I've asked about it at Walmart, but no one knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle, I didn't think to look in the cleaning isle, I looked in the wood finishing isle and paint dept. So I guess it may be better than the minwax for that job. I'll wax everything with it including the granite on the t/s. Thanks again, and I do appreciate the help with all this stuff.. I'm on a countdown 'til march, me and the wife and kids are going to branson missouri for the kids, and they're dropping dad off to go to the GRIZZLY WAREHOUSE ( in Springfield ) and I wanna buy more crap to go with the crap I already have. ( as the wife puts it!!!! ). I'll have a small budget for there, but there's so much I NEED!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X